Had a CO Med marijuana card 1yr ago. Can I still get private license

G

Guest student

I had a marijuana medical card. It’s expired and I no longer use marijuana as a treatment. What can I do to still get or work forwards getting my private pilots license. Has anyone gone thru this and succeeded. Any advice would be appreciated.

I had a marijuana medical card. It’s expired and I no longer use marijuana as a treatment. What can I do to still get or work forwards getting my private pilots license. Has anyone gone thru this and succeeded. Any advice would be appreciated.
Unknown about dealing with the Marijuana part....

But I suggest that before you start spending money any flight training, you get your medical certificate sorted.

The medical history of the FAA 8500-8 application will be requiring you to provide details about the condition that caused you to include marijuana as part of your treatment.

Whatever that was, head back to the doctor who was treating you and obtain copies of your chart that has the details of what ailment was diagnosed and when, how and when it was treated, and what/when was the final outcome. If you are truly "cured", then a statement from the doctor saying "I am no longer following Mr. Guest Student for ______" may be needed.

===================================

Additional tips... Do not, repeat DO NOT go to the Aviation Medical Examiner's office for a medical exam and hand over the confirmation code that appears at the bottom of the application. Cut this off with scissors and keep in your pocket.

Keeping the code in your pocket allows the AME to review your application, and conduct the physical exam in a consultative mode. While in this mode, nothing goes to the FAA, and all information remains between you and the AME. Also during this mode the AME can discuss your application, the chances of successful submission, what is needed to proceed. Again, all of this is kept confidential from the FAA. But only if you keep that code in your pocket.

When you hand over the code, the AME opens your file in the FAA system and the exam is no longer confidential. It becomes "live". Once live, the only results are issue, defer, or deny.

Issue means you leave the office with the desired result of medical certificate in hand.

Defer means your situation requires the AME to send your submission to Oklahoma City for the FAA main office to render judgement. This can take 6-12 weeks before you get an answer, and the answer can be "okay we can issue", "need more information and you have a deadline to get it to us", or Denied.

Denial means you do not meet the standards and your dream of powered flight is pretty much cooked.... forever.

You do not want denial.

How do you avoid denial? Do not submit, or go live, your medical application until you are 100% sure you will pass "go" on the first attempt.

How do you make that happen? Keep the confirmation number in your pocket and remain "confidential consultation" mode until the AME says you have brought all items that are required and he can issue your medical certificate on the spot.

Last edited:
Additional tips....

Not all AME's are good AME's nor the right AME for your particular situation.

It pays to ask around and find the right one.

If you are unable to find the right one in your region/state, we often mention Dr. Bruce Chien of Illinois, www.aeromedicaldoc.com. Yes, it might be a short journey to see him in person, but he is one of the best in the biz. And the one who taught us to never go "live" with an exam until there is greater than 100% confidence certificate issuance will happen.

Would be worth your while ,to reach out to Dr. Bruce,he’ll give you the straight scoop.

Calling Dr. Cheech! I mean Dr. Bruce.

It won't just be about the pot but the medical condition that prompted it as well.

Most marijuana "cards" are issued to treat the condition known as "I like to get high."

Calling it a medical use was likely BS.

This is tantamount to me saying "I got my dog registered as an assistance animal so I can take her everywhere. Does making up a condition needing assistance put my Third Class medical in question?"

If you were applying for a Colorado pilots license you would be OK. :) However, pot use is still a crime at the federal level. As a federal employee, medicinal marijuana will still get me fired, even in the state of Colorado.

If you were applying for a Colorado pilots license you would be OK. :) However, pot use is still a crime at the federal level. As a federal employee, medicinal marijuana will still get me fired, even in the state of Colorado.
Well, guys, at least he's asking.

Here comes the FAA "P&P Evaluation" and a bunch of random urines, for sure....

The DOT (which the FAA is a part of) does not recognize any change in marijuana's status. That certain states authorize it's use changes nothing. To the FAA, it is still an illegal Schedule I drug under the Controlled Substance Act. From the federal standpoint, you are an illicit drug user and you'll have to monitored as such. Maybe after some time of such monitoring, you'll be allowed to fly.

My only advice is drink lots of water and smoke nothing. The water makes it easier to pee on demand.

There's always Sport Pilot, which only requires a driver's license and your own self assessment of your health (also no FAA medical denial). BasicMed is only an option if you've previously had a 3rd class or better medical, which I'm guessing you haven't.

The recommendation to speak on a consultative basis with a senior level AME who truly understands the system is the best one here. As @AggieMike88 put it, you want to know the answer before you formally apply.

Dunno if, as a guest, you have messaging priviges, but, if so, PM me. I might have a recommendation for someone in the Denver area (if that's where you are).

Last edited:
I'd look into what databases this info went into.

Do these pot docs send info on who they give cards to to anyone or just keep the records local to their office?

You live and die by the databases comrade

Most marijuana "cards" are issued to treat the condition known as "I like to get high."

Calling it a medical use was likely BS.

This is tantamount to me saying "I got my dog registered as an assistance animal so I can take her everywhere. Does making up a condition needing assistance put my Third Class medical in question?"

Or "my kid has ADD" vs he's a kid and I'm a lazy parent

Or "I hurt my back doc" vs I like opium

Or "think about the children" vs I'm about to take a few of your rights.

Personally my give a F' factor on all of the above is pegged on zero, so long as people don't put others at risk by operating big fast machines or such while under the influence of ANYTHING, arnt hurting/threatening/stealing etc from others, as long as that's not the case, it's none of my, or your business what others do in their lives, America needs to learn not to meddle in others lives.

You can take American out of the puritanical era, but you can't take the "witch" burning puritans out of some Americans.

150503-leon-got-recap-tease_frvimw

"Shaaaaaaame!" lol

Last edited:
You don't need the card in Colorado.
And given that, I call...

Trolling.jpg

(But having said that with regard to the thread, I agree pretty much with James on this. With the proviso that it does appear that a large number of people have gotten hooked on opiates through the abuse of legal, prescription narcotics.)

Everyone likes to slam the CO Pot laws, myself included. With friends in LEO, they've shared the overall increase in crime directly related to legalization of pot in CO. Additionally, a large influx of pot tourists or relocations to follow the pot (maybe a remake of "Grapes of Wrath" is in order ... "Leaves of Whatever, Dude") has put a large burden on social services of all kinds here.

So, with that said, I have seen very positive results from some of the medical marijuana products (all have the THC removed, none are smoked) with my grandson, in alleviating a number of chronic ailments and physical pains he lives with constantly, due to his Cerebral Palsy. So, in my opinion, medical marijuana has it's benefits in some cases, but in general, proved, in my opinion, to be the camel's nose under the tent.

I'm embarrassed by what has happened in CO with this.

And given that, I call...

View attachment 60567

(But having said that with regard to the thread, I agree pretty much with James on this. With the proviso that it does appear that a large number of people have gotten hooked on opiates through the abuse of legal, prescription narcotics.)
Without discounting the physical dependence factor of certain drugs, people with addictive personalities will usually find something to abuse.

Didn't the old "medicinal" laws require a prescription, and didn't that imply there was some medical symptoms or other malady that needed to be treated? FAA might also want to know about those details, too.

Everyone likes to slam the CO Pot laws, myself included. With friends in LEO, they've shared the overall increase in crime directly related to legalization of pot in CO. Additionally, a large influx of pot tourists or relocations to follow the pot (maybe a remake of "Grapes of Wrath" is in order ... "Leaves of Whatever, Dude") has put a large burden on social services of all kinds here.

So, with that said, I have seen very positive results from some of the medical marijuana products (all have the THC removed, none are smoked) with my grandson, in alleviating a number of chronic ailments and physical pains he lives with constantly, due to his Cerebral Palsy. So, in my opinion, medical marijuana has it's benefits in some cases, but in general, proved, in my opinion, to be the camel's nose under the tent.

I'm embarrassed by what has happened in CO with this.
Gee. The stuff I've come across suggests all the doomsayers about high crime were wrong and the net effect is positive. But, of course, statistics, like politics, often creates spin to support whatever one wants.

Spent a week in Breckinridge in January. One would expect a resort area to be rife. The expected pungent smell of marijuana was very noticeable by its absence.

mary jane was legalized in Colorado in the winter of 2014. eman had a week long snowboarding trip in Colorado in the winter of 2014.

I'm just sayin.......

Uh, why you talking funny like that? o_O

Gee. The stuff I've come across suggests all the doomsayers about high crime were wrong and the net effect is positive. But, of course, statistics, like politics, often creates spin to support whatever one wants.

Spent a week in Breckinridge in January. One would expect a resort area to be rife. The expected pungent smell of marijuana was very noticeable by its absence.
That is good to know, as VT is strongly considering legalizing cannabis as well. Our GOP governor is on board (though he has some reservations, mainly to do with DUI enforcement and keeping the stuff away from kids), so it's likely some version will become law here in a year or two.

I'm surprised it's taken that long here, given the reputation VT has for being largely inhabited by aging back-to-the-land hippies.

Didn't the old "medicinal" laws require a prescription, and didn't that imply there was some medical symptoms or other malady that needed to be treated? FAA might also want to know about those details, too.
That is definitely an issue, although some of the "maladies" are pretty simple from an FAA standpoint. We tend to hear about its utility in cancer treatments and some mental disorders, but it is also prescribed for pain relief. Back, knee and hip issues are common, generally pass AME muster without a problem, but would likely justify a medical marijuana prescription in most of the states which recognize it (the majority at this point).

because the sheriff is a political post, while staff below him are not. So, must keep the political spin positive to get re-elected. Denver city/county has been liberal for a long time, and the rest of the state cannot out-vote Denver. And, it continues to grow with influx of CA who apparently want CO to be just like CA, apparently.

In my opinion, Brek is too expensive for the biggest population of recreational pot smokers, and too cold for the pot refugees to camp ... take a walk through downtown Denver and Boulder or Red Rocks and the stench will knock you over.

Well what "conditions" are treatable by weed? I thought cancer and things like that but I don't really follow the conversation that much.

That is good to know, as VT is strongly considering legalizing cannabis as well. Our GOP governor is on board (though he has some reservations, mainly to do with DUI enforcement and keeping the stuff away from kids), so it's likely some version will become law here in a year or two.

I'm surprised it's taken that long here, given the reputation VT has for being largely inhabited by aging back-to-the-land hippies.
Actually, the biggest sign of things being different were, of course, the dispensaries, and advertising. Newspaper ads for dispensaries and those tourist "What to do here" books with coupons like
Temp.jpg

take a walk through downtown Denver and Boulder or Red Rocks and the stench will knock you over.

Geez, the stench knocked me over 35 years ago. Of course I was a major contributor to that stench, so I didn't really have much to complain about. :confused:

because the sheriff is a political post, while staff below him are not. So, must keep the political spin positive to get re-elected. Denver city/county has been liberal for a long time, and the rest of the state cannot out-vote Denver. And, it continues to grow with influx of CA who apparently want CO to be just like CA, apparently.

In my opinion, Brek is too expensive for the biggest population of recreational pot smokers, and too cold for the pot refugees to camp ... take a walk through downtown Denver and Boulder or Red Rocks and the stench will knock you over.

I spent a little time in OR a short while ago, they came to their sense about personal liberty and stopped attacking people for weed, the economies of the smaller towns made great forward strides with the profit it brought in, as was verified by some of the local shops and bars and restaurants, and as much as the screaming puritans like to claim, people were not running around with "reefer madness" or crashing cars left and right, over all it was quite positive.

And that's the opinion of someone who's not into weed, just into the constitution, freedom and liberty, ya know all that American stuff ;)

... I have seen very positive results from some of the medical marijuana products (all have the THC removed, none are smoked) ...

How f'ing sick is that

We are ok with people suffering, and that's 100% legal, but if a person feels euphoria, better call in the militarized police to bust out the devices of pain, chains and cages.

Frankly the puritanical element in America isn't too far off from isis and the like in many of their violent intrusive onto others views, nor many of their hypocritical ways, send the kid smoking a joint not hurting anyone to prison, maybe shoot him or beat him a little too if he "resists" your tyranny, BUT be proud of the footage of our occupation and destruction of whatever the country of the month is, yet god forbid while watching that news coverage of the US bombing some county that your 15 year old happens sees a boob in a commercial while your valium downing wife feeds him ritalin.

Feelings of pain and misery are acceptable, even seen as heroic

Feelings of euphoria are to be punished, and are only for the "un-pure"

Well what "conditions" are treatable by weed? I thought cancer and things like that but I don't really follow the conversation that much.
Yeah, we see the cancer treatment stuff because that's the heart sting puller for marketing legalization, but use for chronic pain - bad backs, the aches and pains of aging - is probably far more extensive. Based on the medical history I have already fully disclosed to the FAA, I would qualify in most medical marijuana jurisdictions if I were interested.

Red Rocks had the smell long before legalization and even decriminalization. I didn't notice much smell in Downtown Denver either. Maybe a bit in some of the back street parking lots off LoDo (just like 20 years ago), but nothing on the streets. And as for Breck, I'd bet a huge component of recreational use, at least based on the money numbers and the increases in tourism, is out of state tourism.

I was thinking about posting a practical message that I know of one CFI who had a pot possession conviction prior to getting a certificate. I heard about the pot conviction from a DPE because we were discussing the CFIs crash. Anyway this is clearly going spin zone.

If the OP wasn’t trolling then the answer may be that you can get a medical. As the good doc said, peeing on call will be in your future prior to getting the medical. Consult with a senior AME.

I screwed up the multi-quote and don't want to go back to fix it, so

in reference to my statement about "TCH removed and not smoked", James said

How f'ing sick is that

We are ok with people suffering, and that's 100% legal, but if a person feels euphoria, better call in the militarized police to bust out the devices of pain, chains and cages.

You missed (or I didn't clarify) my point that I was referring to my 10 year old grandson, who has Cerebral Palsy, and neither I nor his parents believe smoking, getting high, or euphoria would be appropriate in this case, for him, whatsoever.

If I had a family member with a disease as dire as that, I'd want them to try it both ways and choose which ever made them feel better.

God knows if I had something like cerebral palsy a little euphoria now and then would probably be welcomed.

well it seems to me if it becomes legally on the federal level it will be like alcohol - except I don't believe you can smoke weed and it be out of your system in 8 hours. That's the issue I would think is if weed stays in your system for 30 days they can't tell when you did it. Or can they? not sure

well it seems to me if it becomes legally on the federal level it will be like alcohol - except I don't believe you can smoke weed and it be out of your system in 8 hours. That's the issue I would think is if weed stays in your system for 30 days they can't tell when you did it. Or can they? not sure
How much do you want to pay for the test? My understanding as a manager of a workforce subject to DOT testing is that it gets expensive to detect usage after a few days. I had to deal with the whole Colorado legalization thing but fortunately most of my folks were in Wyoming.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back