Guy at Atlantic Aviation at KAUS prohibited me from taking a photo of a jet

camel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Camel
I was at KAUS today doing my flight review. A T-45 Goshawk landed and was taxiing in, so I went out to get a photo of it with my iPhone. One of the Atlantic Aviation employees wearing an orange vest told me they don't allow taking photos. I complied, but asked him if it was airport policy or Atlantic policy, and he said it was airport policy.

Later I looked it up and it turns out non-commercial photos (and video) are allowed by airport policy! Any idea why this guy would have told me it wasn't allowed?

Here's the policy: https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Airport/pdfs/PhotoFilmRules_revised_2011.pdf

Clients that prefer no photos; so he laid that (incorrect policy) out in the hopes you'd drop it? We switched to Sig a while back, btw.

Any idea why this guy would have told me it wasn't allowed?

Why? Because may FBO's cater to celebrity and wealthy individuals that may not necessary want their actions or planes tracked. Ramp guy does not know if you are a paparazzi, tracker to just an aviation enthusiast but they have the right to protect their client's privacy on their property...airport policy or not.

When some douche nozzle says that to me, I start taking as many pics of him, and whatever he tells me not to take pics of as quick as I can. I just like to escalate things as much as possible so that he tries some shyte like taking my camera away. C'mon bicth - do it, grab my phone/camera.

Freedom. Sucks for some people.

Everywhere we go, we take pix on the ramp. We also invite airport personnel (and on field restaurant personnel) to pose for pix. Often, they request it themselves, as in this pic, taken in San Antonio: (That's the new restaurant manager and one of her staff members.)

cd2263cffc93c0a7848725eb54435d77.jpg

We have been doing this for decades. If some line guy asked me to stop taking pictures -- especially of a Navy plane that we have paid for -- I would laugh him off the ramp.

Maybe just a default answer. I don't like folks taking pictures of my plane, and I'll straight have a come to Jesus with someone taking photos of the work plane.

As a FBO I'd discourage photos, some folks like their privacy.

Gotta love those high nosers. You take pictures wherever you please and tell anyone otherwise to stick it. If someone doesn't want their photo taken then go somewhere else or park your plane in a hangar, put a cover over the tail number, take your pick.
We actually like sharing aviation, and if the FBO manager doesn't like it, politely ask him to call the police if you're breaking the law, otherwise **** off.

Here's asimilar experience that David had at KVNY Signature back in February:
https://youtu.be/8zoOgKq0itM

Last edited:
Gotta love those high nosers. You take pictures wherever you please and tell anyone otherwise to stick it. If someone doesn't want their photo taken then go somewhere else or park your plane in a hangar, put a cover over the tail number, take your pick.
We actually like sharing aviation, and if the FBO manager doesn't like it, politely ask him to call the police if you're breaking the law, otherwise **** off.

Cool, so you're cool with someone taking pictures of your kids at the park? Your wife at yoga class? Your loved one as they die on the side of the road after a crash?

Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean you should.

Maybe just a default answer. I don't like folks taking pictures of my plane, and I'll straight have a come to Jesus with someone taking photos of the work plane.

Do you always park on private property? Then you're good.

Otherwise, not.

Unless they're trying to take photos of something not being held out to the public, such as the interior of the plane, I can't see any reason to expect the presence of the plane to be private, when it is parked on public property.

Last edited:

Wow. I've always had "fly into Van Nuys Airport" on my bucket list, ever since the movie "One Six Right" came out.

Now? You couldn't pay me enough to fly there. What a load of douchebags!

I love those guys.....so what do I do??

I grab the 650-2600mm lens from the bag....jump behind the fence and get a closeup!!;)

What gets me is all of the people taking pictures of airplanes at OSH every year. Who do they think they are?! :D

Cool, so you're cool with someone taking pictures of your kids at the park? Your wife at yoga class? Your loved one as they die on the side of the road after a crash?
Cool and legal are two totally different things. The Great State of Texas actually passed a law a few years ago making it illegal to take pictures of people in public without their consent. The predictable happened when it was challenged in court.

If you're in public, snap away. Of course the FBO might refuse you service, but there's another one.

Some of the local airports have the photography buffs around here so scared they'll kick them off the edges of the property outside the fence lines, that none of them will post a single photo in public without removing the N-number.

The Broncos, Clintons, Liberty Media folk, and whoever the hell pays to go to X-Jet don't like anyone knowing when they travel...

(Through public airports funded by tax dollars.)

You'd think some enterprising entrepreneur would simply build a taxi-in hangar open on both ends to deal with the whole privacy issue, but intimidating fence line photographers is easier and cheaper.

Clients that prefer no photos; so he laid that (incorrect policy) out in the hopes you'd drop it? We switched to Sig a while back, btw.

I've only used Atlantic at KAUS. How are the fees at Signature there?

Any idea why this guy would have told me it wasn't allowed?

Could be security; sometimes airport security training isn't in tune with the real world. At one point, we were supposed to carry an authorization letter with us on the field if we went out with a camera to photograph damage.

If you don't like folks taking pictures, don't go to a public airport.

Physically try to stop me from taking pictures at a public airport and you will go to jail, and I will have pictures to show to the judge of your physical assault.

I had no problem with people that wanted pictures of my company planes, and I had a whole lot more at stake than you did, unless you had something to hide.

Its not illegal to take pictures, but it could be illegal to record your voice without consent.

then again, its not against the law to be stupid. :no:

In public there is no expectation of privacy, so unless you are Amish....click away.

What exactly are you going to do about it when they tell you to get lost and leave them alone? Slap them around a bit?

Come to Jesus or not, still not illegal to take photos in public. You might not like it, but neither you nor the ramp guy are going to tell me what to take pictures of in public.

A place can have a "policy" against taking photos, using your phones, etc. but it's not "illegal" to do so anyway. The law is very clear. People may not like you taking pictures, but it's perfectly legal.

If you break their "policy" they can basically ask you to leave and if you don't they can claim you are trespassing.

Clearly this wasn't one of those "highly secure executive airports" that are always being featured in Airplane Repo. :rolleyes2:

Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean you should.

The three examples you cite are completely different that taking pictures of a plane. Taking pictures of people who are too young to consent or in a private/sensitive situation, not cool. Taking pictures of my airplane, car, boat, interesting yard/landscaping, etc, etc. totally cool.

Last edited:
I don't think Atlantic's ramp is "public" in the strictest sense since FBOs usually lease the land from the airport authority. They can and do have policies about all kinds if things. So can the airport itself.

But in this case it sounds like the guy was either mistaken or on a power trip.

Hopefully the guy doesn't see this picture. I doubt if many secrets can be learned with a picture of a T-45.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 98
Did you take a picture of the guy?

Always find it funny to google your tail number and find pictures that someone took and posted online.

Here's one of my new plane and I at Oshkosh this year.
full.jpg

I don't think Atlantic's ramp is "public" in the strictest sense since FBOs usually lease the land from the airport authority. They can and do have policies about all kinds if things. So can the airport itself.

The OP stated in Post #1 the lineman said it was airport policy...not Atlantic's.

The OP stated in Post #1 the lineman said it was airport policy...not Atlantic's.

In the post of mine which you quoted I stated that airports can have policies too.

Not so. Under Texas law, and most states, if you hold out to the public you are considered a public place. This legal area is what they use to go after "private" clubs that discriminate. Teaxs has used this to go after private sex clubs. All they can do is ask you to leave.

Bob

Back