Guy at Atlantic Aviation at KAUS prohibited me from taking a photo of a jet

Good one! Got a nice chuckle out of that one. So typical,,

1adc4f8ec2f32cb66ed91af24b7f589a.jpg

Whatever happened to noticing someone was taking a photo of you and just mooning them? Sheesh.

As said over and over I'd ask them to stop first.

As for other comment, the work plane typically is on the ramp off loading or bringing in very sick or injured, if you're taking photos of that your a sick SOB.

Still a "hey please don't take photos" should always be fine, the come to Jesus is the same as how those idiots on YouTube end up in cuffs, someone makes a nice request and they say "it my right" and start going photo crazy just to tick the person off.

are you sure I can't interest you in a discounted copy of "how to win friends and influence people"?

I left for a few days, and you made so many new friends in my absence...:yes:

That is by far the most bad a** paint scheme I have seen on a Cirrus.

Always find it funny to google your tail number and find pictures that someone took and posted online.

Here's one of my new plane and I at Oshkosh this year.
full.jpg

are you sure I can't interest you in a discounted copy of "how to win friends and influence people"?

I left for a few days, and you made so many new friends in my absence...:yes:

Well at least he threatened us with a "come to Jesus" moment and not the more scary "come to Muhammad" moment... :eek:

I was pleased to see he showed that level of restraint.

Just for fun I googled my tail number last night and was amazed by how many pictures there are out there of it. At least three from the last Oshkosh. There is even an aerial picture of me! A pretty good one! It doesn't bother me in the slightest, even the one where you can see a lady in the plane who is not my wife...doh! (totally innocent)

Just for fun I googled my tail number last night and was amazed by how many pictures there are out there of it. At least three from the last Oshkosh. There is even an aerial picture of me! A pretty good one! It doesn't bother me in the slightest, even the one where you can see a lady in the plane who is not my wife...doh! (totally innocent)

You have to be careful what you say on the internet. :D

Which kind of brings up a question: What rights do I retain of my own image and images of my property?

When Googling my N-Number, I found a bunch of nice shots of my airplane, including this one:
rainier.jpg

I'm happy to credit the photographer (Josh Kalser), but what's the legal/ethical ramifications of my use of a picture of myself taken by someone else?

Ron Wanttaja

The photographer owns the photo unless you buy it from him or he gives it to you. You can use the photo as long as it's not for profit and there's not much a photographer could do even if he cares. I only post 1/4 size images on the internet, which are huge, but offer people the full size photo if they want it. I don't charge, but if I did this would protect me. Someone could steal the photo, but not the best version.

Here's what an attorney says:
The copyright in the work of authorship immediately becomes the property of the author who created the work. Unless the photo is a work made for hire, then the other person – not you – owns the copyright. However, depending on the circumstances, you likely have an implied license to use the photograph for personal uses. For example, if you ask someone to take a shot of your family on vacation, you could do things such as print the photo for display in your home, post the photo on your personal Facebook page, or share the photo via email with friends or family. But you probably wouldn’t have the right to enter the photo into a contest or license it for commercial purposes.

I'm happy to credit the photographer (Josh Kalser), but what's the legal/ethical ramifications of my use of a picture of myself taken by someone else?

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
That is by far the most bad a** paint scheme I have seen on a Cirrus.

Thanks! I designed it myself - well with help from scheme design people of course.

So far it is a one of a kind but I have already been asked if I would be OK with someone copying it for their Cirrus.

The photographer owns the photo unless you buy it from him or he gives it to you. You can use the photo as long as it's not for profit and there's not much a photographer could do even if he cares. I only post 1/4 size images on the internet, which are huge, but offer people the full size photo if they want it. I don't charge, but if I did this would protect me. Someone could steal the photo, but not the best version.

Here's what an attorney says:
The copyright in the work of authorship immediately becomes the property of the author who created the work. Unless the photo is a work made for hire, then the other person – not you – owns the copyright. However, depending on the circumstances, you likely have an implied license to use the photograph for personal uses. For example, if you ask someone to take a shot of your family on vacation, you could do things such as print the photo for display in your home, post the photo on your personal Facebook page, or share the photo via email with friends or family. But you probably wouldn’t have the right to enter the photo into a contest or license it for commercial purposes.

Jack,
If you take a photo of me and my plane without my permission and you sell that photo to a magazine and they use the photo. Do I have any say in the matter? You made money off my image without compensation to me.

Jack,
If you take a photo of me and my plane without my permission and you sell that photo to a magazine and they use the photo. Do I have any say in the matter? You made money off my image without compensation to me.

So what if I tske a photo of a photographer photo in a public place, could I sell it.

You made money off my image without compensation to me.

Were you in a public place? if the answer is yes then you don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

How would paparazzi exist if it wasn't true?

Were you in a public place? if the answer is yes then you don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

How would paparazzi exist if it wasn't true?

Yep you are right. I did not think of that.

No, you don't. As a photographer, this would be a nightmare. I might take a photo of a really cool plane at Oshkosh, but never find the owner. Also, there might be 20 other planes in the background that weren't the main subject of the photo. If photographers or magazines had to compensate everyone in a photo, you wouldn't see much coverage of events.

I've never sold anything to a magazine before, but I've had quite a few photos featured in magazines. I didn't ask permission of any of the pilots I took photos of. To be honest, I didn't think of it. Usually they're just excited to see their plane in a magazine. I would often get paid in free magazines and I would pass them on the plane owners if they didn't have one already. Never had a complaint!

Jack,

Jack,

This is known as Editorial Use (news value), and requires no release. For Commercial Use, a release is required.

Jack,

oh well

Also, as I understand it, if you transmit the photo, your cell provider can then use it at will.

Back