Gulfstream Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do you suppose most of these peopel think of marissa mayer ?

A lot of her employees aren't rooting for her about now. But you make an excellent point.

And man, I could have gone all day w/o reading the story of Rachel...as poignant as it may be.

Just to offer a little personal perspective, the best pilot I've ever known was a pretty girl my age when we were both in our early 20's. The most gifted stick&rudder I've ever seen combined with a college degree in meteorology.

We'd take an overloaded russian turboprop on a night approach up a valley to a 1-way-in airport in in central africa and I would have to wring my shirt out afterward. She'd hop out of the left seat like she'd just driven her car to the store. Nothing phased her and I never recall her making a mistake of any consequence, except that her French sucked trying to talk to the controllers.

But she had a fiancee that thought she should be home more, and parents that didn't approve of her flying, and a worst of all a bunch of our coworkers who didn't think a blonde 5-ft-nothing who sat on a seat cushion should be doing the same job as them. Nothing in the airplane could bother her but I'd hear her crying herself to sleep in the crew crash pad. One morning she was late for the briefing with the loadmaster. I found her alone locked in the office with a hole in her head and her company-issued 9mm by her side. Rachel was 24 years old.

Hopefully this kid in the gulfstream has better coworkers than most of you clowns.

Yeah, that reminds me of the little gal that drives the semi trucks up on the ice roads next to all the guys that think they're so macho/gifted big ol' truckers or what ever the accurate label really is for them. There's so many like them in the airlines, military, and GA that think they're the only ones that can do what they do.

Yeah, that reminds me of the little gal that drives the semi trucks up on the ice roads next to all the guys that think they're so macho/gifted big ol' truckers or what ever the accurate label really is for them.

Lisa Kelly. I have more respect for her than most of the rest of them put together.

She chose not to participate in the last season of the show. Wonder what that tells you.

An initial, or recurrent PC-12 sim session isn't a type, but can be used anywhere to fly the PC-12 as far as insurance is concerned. Should the pilot have to pay for that?

Sure.

If a company wants to foot the bill in exchange for a committment of some sort (financial or time of service), that's great. But fundamentally a TR follows the pilot, not the company, so why should the company pay for it ?
No different from getting an MBA (or any other graduate degree for that matter). Some companies will pay for it if they have someone they want to groom for a managment position, but most of the time people just put up the money and time in themselves.

But fundamentally a TR follows the pilot, not the company, so why should the company pay for it ?
Because that has been the accepted practice in the aviation industry for decades and that is generally what reputable companies do. If a company wants to hire a pilot, the company traditionally pays for both initial and recurrent training. It is the cheap and lower end companies that expect a pilot to pay for their own type.

Because that has been the accepted practice in the aviation industry for decades and that is generally what reputable companies do. If a company wants to hire a pilot, the company traditionally pays for both initial and recurrent training. It is the cheap and lower end companies that expect a pilot to pay for their own type.

Airlines provide training, but they also have other mechanisms to tie you to their company like benefits, pensions (harhar) and seniority.

Every ad for a corporate gig I have run across states the type rating and hours in type required for the job.

There may have been times when companies were willing to train for the job, doesn't look like that is the case at this point. They may pay to move a committed employee to a different type, but I doubt that there are currently many opportunities where someone is willing to invest in a type for someone who walks off the street.

Wishful thinking seems to be the origin of the 'oh, all the good ones are paying for the type rating' concept.

Last edited:
Whoa dude! I already said I don't want that nonsense on my thread. If you're going to post "conspiracy theory" stuff, please start your own thread. Thank you.

P.S. I will say I spent over 2 hrs last night googling what you are talking about. Amazing!

lulz ... thinks that a thread can be claimed as "my thread" and has any control over it beyond microseconds after posting ... :D

I'd be willing to bet that I've hired as many GA turboprop and jet pilots as anybody on this board. The next one I hire without the credentials necessary to fly whatever plane they are being hired for will be the first.

That said, I've also helped (and still do) a bunch of them get some experience in planes they wanted to fly so they could get a foot in the door for a real job. Just because nobody will give you a job doesn't mean nobody will give you a break.

Airlines provide training, but they also have other mechanisms to tie you to their company like benefits, pensions (harhar) and seniority.

Every ad for a corporate gig I have run across states the type rating and hours in type required for the job.

There may have been times when companies were willing to train for the job, doesn't look like that is the case at this point. They may pay to move a committed employee to a different type, but I doubt that there are currently many opportunities where someone is willing to invest in a type for someone who walks off the street.

Wishful thinking seems to be the origin of the 'oh, all the good ones are paying for the type rating' concept.

That said, I've also helped (and still do) a bunch of them get some experience in planes they wanted to fly so they could get a foot in the door for a real job. Just because nobody will give you a job doesn't mean nobody will give you a break.

.....particularly if you are 5'8'' and a blonde slovenian model :D .

Lisa Kelly. I have more respect for her than most of the rest of them put together.

She chose not to participate in the last season of the show. Wonder what that tells you.

Lisa is great. Hope she is on this season. Did you ever watch Gold Rush? That guy that runs the huge gold mine in the Yukon, said he prefers to hire women because they are easier on the equipment.

Sorry about your job David, but as others have pointed out, that's life. It won't be the first time you don't get what you want. Also, as far as promises go, I don't know how it is in other industries, but I wouldn't count on someone's promise that you are going to fly any particular airplane until you are taking off in it. Lots of people making lots of promises out there.

:yeahthat:

My parents paid for it, that's a hell of a lot different than this situation. I'm their son, not some random person.

Jeez, lucky you. I know a guy with 1/3rd your hours who didn't even get his private until age 29 and had to scrimp & save for 8 years before he could write a fat check to buy a nice plane to buzz around in at 150kt. :rofl:

Jeez, lucky you. I know a guy with 1/3rd your hours who didn't even get his private until age 29 and had to scrimp & save for 8 years before he could write a fat check to buy a nice plane to buzz around in at 150kt. :rofl:

Luck didn't have much to do with it, his parents were responsible enough to acquire the means to provide the training for their son. I'm sure spending the money was as much, if not more of a reward for them as it was for David.

I'm not envious of "David's good fortune", I'm trying to become like his parents.

Bart, I showed your comment to my dad and he smiled and said "That's why we do it." He wanted me to thank you for the kind words. My dad is also a private pilot, but he hasn't been current in 13 years. He likes flying with me and looking out the window more than he actually likes doing pilot stuff.

Bart, I showed your comment to my dad and he smiled and said "That's why we do it." He wanted me to thank you for the kind words. My dad is also a private pilot, but he hasn't been current in 13 years. He likes flying with me and looking out the window more than he actually likes doing pilot stuff.
That's my goal, for my daughters to be able to fly me around while I look out the window or read a book. The 10-year-old thinks she's already there, and tells people that all she needs dad for "is to start the engines and steer on the ground, since she can't reach the pedals".

When I was in college my parents paid for most of my flight training. Even though in the end I didn't follow an aviation career path it was the greatest gift they could of gave me. Why? Because the skills and confidence it takes to fly an airplane and to train others as I was an instructor gave me the the confidence to succeed in other aspects of life.

I truly believe that without my aviation background I wouldn't be as successful or as happy as I am today.

The thing I like most about watching kids fly is that they are so gullible. The 14-year-olds at a glider club think they are just having fun. They have no idea they are being tricked into studying math, physics, cartography, and meteorology.

The thing I like most about watching kids fly is that they are so gullible. The 14-year-olds at a glider club think they are just having fun. They have no idea they are being tricked into studying math, physics, cartography, and meteorology.

Yeah they city slicked me into studying all that stuff.

Did the story involve commodity trading?

Hello. Long time lurker, this thread compelled me to finally register. I have also heard about some type of wierd past with GG by a person who claims he knows both her and Larry the chief pilot. Pilotjoe, I have sent you a PM.

Will the real Gulfstream Girl stand up and dispel all the half truths and rumors in this thread?
:dunno::D

Will the real Gulfstream Girl stand up and dispel all the half truths and rumors in this thread?
:dunno::D

Why would she feel the need to dispel something that isn't fact?

Last edited:
Why would she feel the need to dispel something that isn't fact?

The only facts are that none of us know her personally, and are therefore unable to declare what statements are or aren't true about her.

The only facts are that none of us know her personally, and are therefore unable to declare what statements are or aren't true about her.

Well as said above, I think she's busy flying and not dealing with gossip.

For those of us who don't know what the hell you guys are talking about, how about you argue over PMs and let this stupid thread die.

Since when has anyone had ownership rights on a thread at POA???

Doesn't Fearless. I just didn't want any of our POA brothers to get banned for violating the rules...check your PM. :D

A request: it would be most appreciated if all keep any personal rumors or allegations off the public forums of PoA. Until proven, folks should be considered to be innocent and not subject to personal attack. It does no one (or the industry) any good to post allegations here.

So seriously, should I buy a high wing or a low wing???

Sport Pilot vs PPL

Good question. If I'm a young guy in good health then I'm going PPL. If I'm in danger of not passing a flight physical, well then Sport Pilot is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back