GTX-345 and no Bluetooth in SYS menu

Jack Presley

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Elvis
Just got the Garmin GTX-345 installed. I have a 430W and Garmin audio panel. First flight got traffic and weather on the 430W screen -- very nice.

Got home and referenced the Page 3-4/3-5 of the pilot's manual to pari the 345 with my iPad via Bluetooth.

No Bluetooth in the SYS menu. Backlight, Contrast, Messages, GPS Status. Skips right over Bluetooth.

Checked the config, (Ent+Pwr On) and Bluetooth was enabled. Didn't touch anything in the config menu because I have no documentation for it. Just reviewed the settings.

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

I think you need a FS210?
That is what I used. Flight Stream 210. Worked well.
Similar setup with GNS430W, GTX345 & PMA8000G.

My iPad Bluetooth never connects directly to GTX345. My iPad connects in to the audio panel for call-outs and music. The iPad (ForeFlight) also connects via the (remote) Flight Stream 210 using a configuration page in the GNS430W to receive data from the 430 as well as flow through data from the 345.

Last edited:
@Jack Presley I have a GTX-345 and GNS-430W. The 345 has a an internal AHRS which connects to an iPad via bluetooth to drive apps like ForeFlight. If must be enabled by the Av shop.

If enabled and not working, is your bluetooth device (iPad or iPhone) already consumed with a data connection? Bluetooth itself can be a little finicky getting devices to initially recognize each other. Which device initiates the search for devices can matter as well.

The FS-210 route, which I acquired later is marvelous. It provides AHRS and more fully integrates the iPad with the GNS-430W. The amount of button turns in the 430 will drop by 80% as flight plans, approaches, and YES even victor airways are now loaded via 1 button press to the 430 or back the other direction.

Last edited:
Seems odd that there is no bluetooth. I connect my Ipad and Iphone to the 345 for traffic, weather, gps and AHRS. You cannot send flight plans to the 430 thru the 345. You might want to take it to a dealer to see what the problem is.

The amount of button turns in the 430 will drop by 80% as flight plans, approaches, and YES even victor airways are now loaded via 1 button press to the 430 or back the other direction.
Yeah. On the fly route changes become trivial (and fast) and as you say, Victor Airways will load from ForeFlight into the 430W via the FS210 which is pretty cool. I still will spin the buttons on the 430 once in a while just so I do not forget how. lol

I have since upgraded (again) and added a GTN650xi with a FS510. Still have the 430W & GTX345. Removed the FS210 as no longer needed. So now the FF connects via FS510 into the 650 then the flight plan gets auto push from the 650 into the 430.

Call Garmin.

You should be able to connect your iPad to the 345. I do this all the time in a CAP 182 with a Garmin 400 and 345 Tx.

To add to the data and chaos…

Out 182 has the 335 and a GTN650xi.

we connect tablets to the GTN instead of GTX and get ADSB services that route.

A GTX 345 doesn't require FS210 for bluetooth. It's part of the transponder itself.
Thanks for the info.
I think the OP needs to go back to the installers and make it work.
I think he only needs a FS210 if he wants to transfer flight plans and data updates wireless?

That doesn't add to the chaos at all. A GTX 335 doesn't have bluetooth, so doing what OP is trying to do was never an option for you.

I have been using a full garmin stack with a fs510 since 2018. I am spoiled by it. I thought my iPad was getting its traffic and weather through the 510?
Sorry to give bad advice.

Last edited:
Solved. Short trip to Avionics shop in person/airplane and a call to Garmin. In the config menu (Ent + On) there is a menu that is actually a sub menu. It's a bad design, in my opinion. He made his way deep into the configuration to find GNC-500 > Disabled. The trick was that you could cursor over both entries, GNC-500 and Disabled. If you highlighted GNC-500, you could then scroll through numerous other entries and they each can be Enabled or Disabled. You'd think the Enabled entries would show up first, but no -- it was buried. Once he disabled it, turned it off and back on normally, Bluetooth showed up in the SYS rotary and I paired my iPad. 430W still shows traffic and weather and now so does Foreflight.

I've seen both with the 345 hopping into different airplanes. In some installations, the connection is made on the 345. In others, the connection is made via the GPS unit like with the 345R. I have a note describing both (and more) methods.

This page was what stumped us. If you hit the hit the CRSR button on this page, you can select G500/600 not just pick Present No/Yes. GTX345.jpeg

@Jack Presley I have a GTX-345 and GNS-430W. The 345 has a an internal AHRS which connects to an iPad via bluetooth to drive apps like ForeFlight. If must be enabled by the Av shop.

If enabled and not working, is your bluetooth device (iPad or iPhone) already consumed with a data connection? Bluetooth itself can be a little finicky getting devices to initially recognize each other. Which device initiates the search for devices can matter as well.

The FS-210 route, which I acquired later is marvelous. It provides AHRS and more fully integrates the iPad with the GNS-430W. The amount of button turns in the 430 will drop by 80% as flight plans, approaches, and YES even victor airways are now loaded via 1 button press to the 430 or back the other direction.

Yes, got it fixed. And yes, now I have FS210 envy and wish I'd spent the extra bucks to have that installed, too. In reality, my flight plans are 2 entries 99% of the time so I'll survive. ;)

I have been using a full garmin stack with a fs510 since 2018. I am spoiled by it. I thought my iPad was getting its traffic and weather through the 510?
Sorry to give bad advice.

It is. Since you have the 510. And the 510 allows you to send flight plans to the GTN from your iPad. Without the 510, you cannot.

IF you have a GTN, the connection to the GTX is through the GTN. The BT option does not appear on the GTX-345.

If you don't have a GTN, then the GTX-345 has BT built in and you can connect directly to it.

I love the feature of 2 way flightplan transfer with the FS 210/510. Amendments made on the GTN will update to ForeFlight and vise-versa.

It is. Since you have the 510. And the 510 allows you to send flight plans to the GTN from your iPad. Without the 510, you cannot.

IF you have a GTN, the connection to the GTX is through the GTN. The BT option does not appear on the GTX-345.

If you don't have a GTN, then the GTX-345 has BT built in and you can connect directly to it.
Thanks for the informative post.

Back