GTX 330 vs. 327

bluesideup

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bluesideup
Hi everyone.
Is a 330 of any additional benefit, considering the future trends?
Will it be easier to upgrade to 2020?
Is it more, or less, reliable?
Can an Owner, not A&P / IA do a an 406 KANAAN ELT test without special test gear, legally?
Thanks.

A 327 cannot be upgraded to ADS-B.
A 330 can (or may already have been) upgraded to a 330ES, which meets the 2020 mandate for ADS-B Out but doesn't provide any ADS-B In. IIRC, the upgrade is something like $1400.

ELT test? Not likely.

A 327 cannot be upgraded to ADS-B.
A 330 can (or may already have been) upgraded to a 330ES, which meets the 2020 mandate for ADS-B Out but doesn't provide any ADS-B In. IIRC, the upgrade is something like $1400.

ELT test? Not likely.
The 330es is only a half way solution to ADSB out, it will also need a WAAS GPS input.

The 330es is only a half way solution to ADSB out, it will also need a WAAS GPS input.

True. And there isn't a version of it with GPS built in, so if you don't also have a WAAS GPS in the panel, the 330ES doesn't do you much good.

There's a reason the GTX 345 is so popular. It covers all the bases: In/Out, connectivity to portable devices, and can have its own WAAS GPS source if you don't already have one in the panel. Having Garmin's name on it doesn't hurt either.

Hi everyone.
Thank you for the feedback.
Some radio guys do not recommend the 330S, in addition to what has been mentioned above, because, they say, when the new rule takes effect, and even presently, there is a minimum traffic that can be viewed?

A 327 cannot be upgraded to ADS-B...

Not entirely accurate. A 327 can be part of an adsb solution. It's true the box itself can't be upgraded but the missing components can be added to the aircraft and you end up with adsb in and out using a 327 and the added components. This might be cheaper than an all in one box solution.

Last edited:
I have the 330 es ,wish I had waited for the Garmin GTX 345. Would have saved money ,and had a better unit.

I had a 330 originally and installed a GDL-88 (1090/978 IN, 978 OUT) 2 years ago. This annual (in the shop now) I am upgrading my 330 to a 330ES so I'll have 1090/978 IN via the GDL-88 and 1090 OUT via the 330ES. This will comply with Mexico's ADS-B requirements after 2020.

The 330ES upgrade and all the rewiring was $1950.

I could have sold the 330 and GDL88 and installed a 345 but that would be quite a bit more money plus the hassle of selling the equipment.

The GTX-345 and Lynx 9000 are the gold standards for ADS-B. If just "out" is needed, then the GTX-335 with internal WAAS and WAAS GPS antenna for $2995 unit Dec. 31st is a great buy.

When I was first looking into ADS-B Out a few years ago I was thinking mInimal compliance. Then I started running the numbers and looking at what I would/wouldn't have at the low end vs. the top end, as well as integration with my panel. Pretty quickly the GTX345 stood out. It's just such a convenient, powerful box with no extra crap to deal with. No wires. No antennas. No issues communicating with portable avionics as well as the panel boxes. I can't believe a new 330ES makes sense given the cost of installation and the rather significant difference in capability. Upgrading an existing 330, maybe, but only if you already have a WAAS source.

I installed a 330ES in mine....unit cost $1,800, $60 SW update the 530W, $300 transponder & static check. No $500 rebate....and I didn't get anything for the old equipment....and it all works well.

Attachments

• 098C8616-7121-419E-851A-7893FC7AC51B.jpg
    098C8616-7121-419E-851A-7893FC7AC51B.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
The GTX-345 and Lynx 9000 are the gold standards for ADS-B. If just "out" is needed, then the GTX-335 with internal WAAS and WAAS GPS antenna for $2995 unit Dec. 31st is a great buy.

I agree a Lynx 9000 is a gold standard, the GTX-345 isn’t even close.

Some radio guys do not recommend the 330S, in addition to what has been mentioned above, because, they say, when the new rule takes effect, and even presently, there is a minimum traffic that can be viewed?

Check the numerous other threads on this and you'll find that GTX330 is already "S" for TIS-A traffic, and with the upgrade to GTX330ES it becomes ADS-B 1090 OUT.

Amount of targets is governed by where you're reading it (ex: 430W = 8) and the coverage area of TIS-A is not as large as TIS-B is, or is going to be.

So, read up some more, learn all the alphabet soup, and match it to your plane, your location, and your flying.

[I'm doing GTX330ES for my needs]

The Lynx 900 is sweet. The only feature it's missing to achieve "world domination" is an AHRS like the 345 to drive Foreflight's synthetic vision feature.

Check the numerous other threads on this and you'll find that GTX330 is already "S" for TIS-A traffic, and with the upgrade to GTX330ES it becomes ADS-B 1090 OUT.

Amount of targets is governed by where you're reading it (ex: 430W = 8) and the coverage area of TIS-A is not as large as TIS-B is, or is going to be.

So, read up some more, learn all the alphabet soup, and match it to your plane, your location, and your flying.

[I'm doing GTX330ES for my needs]
Exactly. I don’t know what the current status is, but several years ago when ADS-B was still new, there was talk of TIS traffic reporting going away when ADS-B took effect. That may be where the rumor came from, but it won’t make the 330ES less effective with ADS-B traffic

I installed a 330ES in mine....unit cost $1,800, $60 SW update the 530W, $300 transponder & static check. No $500 rebate....and I didn't get anything for the old equipment....and it all works well.

hi there - thanks for sharing this, know it’s old but revisiting. This is the exact route I’m leaning towards for my bo. I was wondering how you were able to get the gtx330 SW update for $60? Everywhere I’ve read says needs to send direct back to Garmin through an official Garmin dealer in my area (AUSTIN, TX) so they can do they update for $1500! Thx.

hi there - thanks for sharing this, know it’s old but revisiting. This is the exact route I’m leaning towards for my bo. I was wondering how you were able to get the gtx330 SW update for $60? Everywhere I’ve read says needs to send direct back to Garmin through an official Garmin dealer in my area (AUSTIN, TX) so they can do they update for $1500! Thx.
mine was an ES version....that cost is for the "ES upgrade". I needed a SW update.....and was done on the bench.

I like my NGT-9000. It works with lots of different EFBs, has it's own display, ATAS, and if you ever replace your aging GNS box with a slide-in IFD unit in the future it plays nice with those, too. It had a little functional burp with the last GPS rollover date, but Lynx eventually released software updates and all is right again. $7k installed, which is typical for this level unit.

Back