GTN750 and Instrument Work

Do you understand that not every GPS receiver is a certified unit and that we were discussing GPS in general and its 'inability to fail' not Aviation GPS units?:dunno:
That may be what you wanted to discuss, but it's not what the rest of us were talking about, which was "GTN750 and Instrument Work", i.e., the reliability of an installed, certified IFR GPS for instrument flying.

That may be what you wanted to discuss, but it's not what the rest of us were talking about, which was "GTN750 and Instrument Work", i.e., the reliability of an installed, certified IFR GPS for instrument flying.

You have CTSi on Ignore or something? Follow the thread changes, that is exactly what was being discussed, the 'invulnerability' of the GPS signal.

This product?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/oem/sensors-and-boards/glo-/prod109827.html

I didn't know about it. $99 for a combination GPS/Glonass receiver, with bluetooth. I guess that just shows there's nothing inherently expensive about adding Glonass to a receiver.

I just got the Dual XGPS160 to replace my Glo(the Glo doesn't like the sun/heat of being on the glare shield, but does work fine sitting elsewhere) and the new Dual also has GPS and GLONASS. It was $50 more than the XGPS150A but also added a few other features like data logging and multiple simultaneous connections.

You have CTSi on Ignore or something? Follow the thread changes, that is exactly what was being discussed, the 'invulnerability' of the GPS signal.

Wishful thinking: When the thread drifts way far from the original title and topic, we could have an easy method of splitting off into a new thread.

True. A manual RAIM check isn't required. But that's because the system is continuously monitoring integrity in a TSO 146 box when in WAAS coverage. In that sense, RAIM is being checked continuously and automatically.

Never take off before verifying you have five sats minimum. Should be part of any preflight and pretakeoff checks.

Never take off before verifying you have five sats minimum. Should be part of any preflight and pretakeoff checks.
I guess I'll have to stop giving IR training to pilots with only VOR's for navigation.

Or maybe you'll have to learn that you don't know very much at all about flying, and stop posting until you do learn something.

I have to manually check RAIM on my KLN-94, I never have. I routinely simply input my FPL and then quit fiddling with it.

Once, I arrived at where the GPS said was destination during a night flight and the tower had to flash the runway lights so I could find it, I was about a mile or three off. Not a big deal. I always have to use pilotage coming back to home drone. Over-reliance on GPS is a bad idea, unless I use a GOS approach, and since I'm not IR..................even VFR, I've never used the PROC button to put me within 0.1nm accuracy to get on final and don't see the need.

I guess I'll have to stop giving IR training to pilots with only VOR's for navigation.

Or maybe you'll have to learn that you don't know very much at all about flying, and stop posting until you do learn something.

I accept this is just his learning style. He doesn't know what he doesn't know. And that's not a knock on him per-se. Give him some credit for being willing to expose his ignorance for correction. Now, the doggedness with which he holds into and defends his ignorance is something else, but one possible explanation....I suspect the answers given aren't intellectually satisfying enough for him. There's a thread about that, but I was unable to find it earlier. I look again later....gotta go.

Last edited:
I have to manually check RAIM on my KLN-94, I never have. I routinely simply input my FPL and then quit fiddling with it.

Once, I arrived at where the GPS said was destination during a night flight and the tower had to flash the runway lights so I could find it, I was about a mile or three off. Not a big deal. I always have to use pilotage coming back to home drone. Over-reliance on GPS is a bad idea, unless I use a GOS approach, and since I'm not IR..................even VFR, I've never used the PROC button to put me within 0.1nm accuracy to get on final and don't see the need.

Look up the word Compacency, it's one of the Hazardous Attitudes. Don't let yourself fall into trap too often. It's part of why I bellied in.

I accept this is just his learning style. He doesn't know what he doesn't know.
What you don't know can, in aviation, kill you, and you can't learn until you accept that you don't know (see "Law of Readiness" in the Aviation Instructor's Handbook). Further, spouting off incorrect answers to others who know they don't know but are looking for help can kill them. This guy doesn't know, and doesn't accept that he doesn't know, and I wish he'd start asking questions rather than providing dangerously incorrect answers just to see if someone corrects him (if that is indeed what he's doing, which I'm beginning to doubt).

And if you don't stay on the ground?

I accept this is just his learning style.

No child left behind!

Products of no child left behind are hitting the workforce now and it is ugly. Each "special case" requires excessive attention and expects to be the center of any world.

What GPS fail? The military would get upset if that ever happened. Guys would die.

Call back once you've learned something about using navigation equipment in an IFR environment. Even an WAAS iFR unit is not the same as a military unit. Satellite reception fails (sometimes only to the point of not being reliable for IFR approaches). You always need an out.

Call back once you've learned something about using navigation equipment in an IFR environment. Even an WAAS iFR unit is not the same as a military unit. Satellite reception fails (sometimes only to the point of not being reliable for IFR approaches). You always need an out.

What I don't get is, even with a picture showing an inflight GPS failure, he doesn't acknowledge it. I really think this is a clever troll at work.

What I don't get is, even with a picture showing an inflight GPS failure, he doesn't acknowledge it. I really think this is a clever troll at work.
When his GPS craps out and he doesn't know how to get back home I'm sure he will realize he was wrong.

Look up the word Compacency, it's one of the Hazardous Attitudes. Don't let yourself fall into trap too often. It's part of why I bellied in.

How is not checking RAIM complacent for a VFR-only pilot?

Back