GTN650XI: display VCalc TOD

AA5Bman

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
He who ironically no longer flies an AA5B
With a GTN 650, if I enter an altitude above a waypoint and want it to give me a notification of when to start descending, where does that notification display? The only place I can seem to find the annunciation is on the VCALC page where it says something along the lines of “begin descent in 5:00” and counts down until you need to descend.

Is there a way to make the TOD notification display on the main map page? It seems like you have to hang out on the VCALC page to get the notification which is not desirable.

You should be able to turn on (or off) the message (MSG) annunciatior, I think on the vcalc page or menu. (Not near my manual or GTN box now to confirm where that option is).

750 here, TOD and BOD shows right on the map page. i am using VNAV though

With a GTN 650, if I enter an altitude above a waypoint and want it to give me a notification of when to start descending, where does that notification display? The only place I can seem to find the annunciation is on the VCALC page where it says something along the lines of “begin descent in 5:00” and counts down until you need to descend.

Is there a way to make the TOD notification display on the main map page? It seems like you have to hang out on the VCALC page to get the notification which is not desirable.

I'm pretty sure VCALC needs to be turned off and VNAV turned on, you might need a software update to enable VNAV.

Flightplan page should look like this

upload_2020-7-17_11-4-29.png

yes, its one or another in the config section

@bnt83 i don’t have baro-corrected altitude connected to the GPS so I won’t get VNAV.

@Jim Carpenter thanks for your response - I keep meaning to try it and report back but every time I go out to the plane I forget to look for the annunciation. Do you just get the flashing “message” icon which you have to click on to see the TOD message, or does it display in the screen directly?

Given that my long-gone portable 496 automatically provided TOD notification and glide slope 20 years ago, I’m kind of disappointed this isn’t a part of the 650. @garmin...?

@bnt83 i don’t have baro-corrected altitude connected to the GPS so I won’t get VNAV.

@Jim Carpenter thanks for your response - I keep meaning to try it and report back but every time I go out to the plane I forget to look for the annunciation. Do you just get the flashing “message” icon which you have to click on to see the TOD message, or does it display in the screen directly?

Given that my long-gone portable 496 automatically provided TOD notification and glide slope 20 years ago, I’m kind of disappointed this isn’t a part of the 650. @garmin...?

I don't think VCALC was ever as elaborate as VNAV, and it only does the message flash thing not plotted on the map.

Yeah, with VCALC only, no TOD point on the map, only the MSG annunciation, on/off enabled in the 'Menu" for the 650.

Thanks for posting this! Keep the Xi questions coming please. It’s very informative to read the responses about the particulars of this amazing unit.
I’m doing lots of approaches with with the Xi. Trying to challenge myself with full procedures, course reversals, radial intercepts, joining inactive legs, feeder routes, etc. Trying to learn it inside and out. Seems like everyone I know is only familiar with direct and vectors!

I have a GTN 650 and have the VNAV enabled. I got a crossing restriction yesterday and put it in the 650. I have 2 G5’s and a Century 2000 AP. I thought I would get a glide path an either G5 but I didn’t. I set it for 2 deg path.

I had to go into utilities-VNAV to see the TOD and FPM descent it was calculating for 2 deg descent. I just hit VNAV D and then flew the descent at the FPM it said.

If they would only certify the GFC 500 AP for the 310..lol. I know wishful thinking. I remember Garmin telling me that you won’t see the VNAV path on the G5 unless you have the GFC 500 or GFC 600 AP

Back