GTN Xi series new features in upcoming sw release

A bit misleading title, while some features may be GTN 7XX Xi specific most should work on the GTN 6XX Xi as well.

I swear the Xi has the longest running software version ever, AFAIK they have never revised it until now. It seemed like the straight GTN software was changed every quarter.

A bit misleading title, while some features may be GTN 7XX Xi specific most should work on the GTN 6XX Xi as well.

I swear the Xi has the longest running software version ever, AFAIK they have never revised it until now. It seemed like the straight GTN software was changed every quarter.

It's not even a year old product IIRC. And a lot of these sorts of announcements are driven by market considerations. They probably wanted to allow time for the installed base to become large enough to benefit from a new software release.

Unlike the jump from GNS 430/530 to the original GTN, the Xi doesn't seem enough of an improvement to immediately entice a lot of current GTN owners to upgrade, even though it is a slide-in.

Would be interesting to hear how many on this board that have a 650 or 750 installed have paid to upgrade to the Xi box this year. My guess is very few so far.

It's not even a year old product IIRC. And a lot of these sorts of announcements are driven by market considerations. They probably wanted to allow time for the installed base to become large enough to benefit from a new software release.

Unlike the jump from GNS 430/530 to the original GTN, the Xi doesn't seem enough of an improvement to immediately entice a lot of current GTN owners to upgrade, even though it is a slide-in.

Would be interesting to hear how many on this board that have a 650 or 750 installed have paid to upgrade to the Xi box this year. My guess is very few so far.

We have traded two 650 for Xi. Based on how the list prices for these go up every year, I am glad its done.

Just as many boast about the GI275 resolution being superior to the G5, the Xi is way better screen. The Xi screen is a lot easier to read IMHO. It boots almost instantly and just runs better than the old ones. $3k better? well my straight 650 was out of warranty too, so now I have another new GTN with a new warranty.

My guess is that the new Txi screens and the G3X all have better resolution than the old GTN series, so a big part of the GTN Xi line is conformity.

Last edited:
I havent used the older 750 so i dont know how slow that is. but i can say that the screen is very responsive, you can actually use the Chart page for your approach briefings. the UI could be better, way too many button pushes to go somewhere, but if you have PTC (push to command) ...that combo is pretty awesome. i dont remember all the 200 commands it has, but i know and use about 25 of them and most times i dont have to touch the display. these days i have pretty much stopped tuning frequencies on my com 2. they stay on my home ground frequency all the time and 121.5 on the 2nd frequency on the 2nd nav/com

i have pretty much stopped tuning frequencies on my com 2. they stay on my home ground frequency all the time and 121.5 on the 2nd frequency on the 2nd nav/com

Why is that? How does your 750 xi work so you have what you need for the 2nd nav/com? (BTW - I only use the 2nd com for ATTIS anyway)

Why is that? How does your 750 xi work so you have what you need for the 2nd nav/com? (BTW - I only use the 2nd com for ATTIS anyway)
You can monitor a 2nd frequency on a GTN. So you can grab ATIS while staying with ATC. I used Com 2 for that like @WDD, but I assume that's what @WannFly means.

I have a xi upgrade scheduled for friday. My GTN is about 10 years old and the price for the upgrade is under 3K, which makes it seem like a pretty good way to future proof. If I wasn't planning on keeping the plane for the next 20 years, I wouldn't bother.

in my set up -

NAV/COM 1 - 750 Xi
Nav/COM 2 - SL-30
Audio panel - GMA 350c - that enables voice command (push to Command)

lets say i am coming back from somewhere to Fargo, entering Fargo TRSA - will issue a voice command - "Tune destination ATIS" - that frequency is now set in the 2nd frequency on the GTN. i will have to hit the switch button manually though or i will just monitor it and get the ATIS. if the ATIC frequency is already set on the SL-30 - i will just issue a voice command - "Toggle Com 2" and listen to ATIS there and then say "Toggle com 1" (turns monitoring SL-30 off)

then I will issue a voice command = "Tune destination approach" >> hit the flip
then "Tune destination tower">> flip when needed

after landing if they ask me to talk to ground

"Select Com 2" (that is either already set to Fargo ground or i might have to hit the flip switch if i was using SL-30 for ATIS

in almost all flights, i never touch the SL-30 anymore. i wish there was a voice command for monitoring the 2nd frequency on the GTN and switch it to primary

Last edited:
I agree that there should be an option to swap frequencies and turn on monitoring. I do know that you can wire another pushbutton to swap the frequencies. Its a bit clunkier, but it would work. Thanks for your pirep. I'm about to replace a 340 with a 350c and I'm excited to see other users using those features.

Garmin regularly has a promotion to upgrade GNS units to GTN Xi units, but I don't know if there's an upgrade promotion for the older GTN units. I saw that Sarasota Avionics was doing XI upgrades for $5K all-in. I don't know if anybody does that on the West Coast...

I just ordered a GMA 35c for my GTN 750. Looking forward to the Push-to-command functionality :p

Garmin regularly has a promotion to upgrade GNS units to GTN Xi units, but I don't know if there's an upgrade promotion for the older GTN units. I saw that Sarasota Avionics was doing XI upgrades for $5K all-in. I don't know if anybody does that on the West Coast...

I just ordered a GMA 35c for my GTN 750. Looking forward to the Push-to-command functionality :p

It does get some getting used to. For example I might or might not have inadvertently pushed the PTT button and blurted out a command and heard “unable” from ATC with a chuckle .
One more thing, the commands that is documented in the 350c manual doesn’t work as is when paired with 750, refer to the telligence manual for the commands.

Example: “com 2 monitored / monitor com 2” will not get you anywhere, it will if the 350c is the only thing but not when interfaces with 750. The correct command is “toggle com 2” if you want to just monitor com 2 or “select mic 2” if you want to switch over to mic 2/ com 2.

You will love it. It closes the gap that 750 has with so many button pushing to go somewhere.

Thanks for the info, I look forward to having it!

Thanks for the info, I look forward to having it!

I love the 350c and the voice command function. I never use it though. I always find it quick to just reach my hand up push button or tune in the free myself.

I do use the tune in destination ATIS. Unfortunately it puts it in on COM 1 which is the radio I’m using for ATC. I have to turn dial the freq into COM2.

I usually just use the Aera 660 for the ATIS freq since it sends it to COM 2.

Maybe I need to mess with it more. I do regret installing a 650 with a 350c. I should’ve installed a 750 with a 350c. The 750 does a lot more and I really like the bigger screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the software upgrade done yesterday. Didn't have much time to play with it yet, but one thing that changed is the knob doesn't default to changing com frequencies any more. You have to push it first. I guess that is configurable, but it tripped me up the first few times.

I got the software upgrade done yesterday. Didn't have much time to play with it yet, but one thing that changed is the knob doesn't default to changing com frequencies any more. You have to push it first. I guess that is configurable, but it tripped me up the first few times.

good to know
the knob now changes the page rt?

I just got my 350c in yesterday and got the latest 650xi updates. The 20.11 difference is pretty incredible. You mentioned the scroll between pages change, but the one I found more profound was the find frequency change. Previously if I found a frequency for an airport and told it to load, it would load to the standby. Now it asks me if I want to load it into the active or standby frequency. This is a great change because it makes it reduces the clicks.

The 350c is pretty incredible. The voice commands I found myself using the most were to zoom in, zoom out, and tell me the wind. I'm sure that on longer trips I'll take advantage of the other features. The sound quality and auto-squelching made the audio about twice as good as the GMA340. The positional audio was a bit of a disappointment, though on a longer trip with more passengers it will probably be more useful. I didn't think a slightly newer audio panel would make such a difference, but wow. Now I need to figure out how to retire my KX155 backup nav/com.

Previously if I found a frequency for an airport and told it to load, it would load to the standby. Now it asks me if I want to load it into the active or standby frequency. This is a great change because it makes it reduces the clicks.
does that work with voice command as well? "Tune destination Tower" - then you click to choose whether it goes to standby or active? thought that technically didnt reduce any click. I Agree 350C overcomes a lot of GTN UI shortcomings

Back