GTN for Dummies ?

CCluck

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CCluck
I keep my GTN manual next to the bed for reading myself to sleep - works pretty good for that, and I glean little bits of information which seep into my long-term memory while I sleep. My FSX sim includes the GTN 750 add-on, and that has helped me discover all sorts of useful stuff as well.

But I'm wondering if there is a text or something that reveals all the secrets in a less technical format than the manual, but more structured than my poking buttons in the simulator.

For instance, I recently worked out how to use the OBS and Direct-To functions to set up a practice hold - I don't have the most recent version of the software which allegedly has that capability built in - would have been nice to just read that in some clue-list or another.

Does such a guide book exist ?

Plug the plane in, have a seat in it with the manual and start pushing buttons. That worked great for me in everything from GNS to G1000 boxes.

Check the books by http://avionicswest.com/

I got the one for the CNX80/480 and it was very helpful in learning how it works beyond the >D> button.

Garmin has a free app. For the GTN 750, just google it.

Plug the plane in, have a seat in it with the manual and start pushing buttons. That worked great for me in everything from GNS to G1000 boxes.

^^^ That.

Helped me learn my new-to-me GPS.

Also, how do you work the GTN touch screen in the sim without a real touch screen? Or did you put it on a touch-screen LCD?

I have the Garmin app, but it doesn't really help with application scenarios. I have learned way more from the FSX GTN simulator by just exploring all the buttons and menus.

Just left http://avionicswest.com/ which has some excellent articles posted - a sufficiently convincing sample to induce me to order the book - they take PayPal

The FSX GTN can be scooted off the main screen onto another - if it happens to be a touchscreen monitor, its just like the real thing, except that it presumes you have the remote mount transponder and audio panel.

If no touch screen, then use the mouse and just click where you'd put your finger - I did that for awhile, didn't find it too onerous.

Last edited:
youtube has a lot of good videos too

Damn... Beat me to it. YouTube has all sorts of button pushing tutorials. Some are good, others are just a waste of bandwidth from some dude that just wants to talk about his new mini glass GPS.

But I'm wondering if there is a text or something that reveals all the secrets in a less technical format than the manual, but more structured than my poking buttons in the simulator.

most all electronics have a quick ref manual, more concise than the full encyclopedia......

here: (caution direct pdf dl)
http://tinyurl.com/heumofr

For instance, I recently worked out how to use the OBS and Direct-To functions to set up a practice hold - I don't have the most recent version of the software which allegedly has that capability built in - would have been nice to just read that in some clue-list or another.

Does such a guide book exist ?

How, please? I haven't tried that.

How, please? I haven't tried that.

Make the holding fix the active waypoint. If using the autopilot sync the heading bug and place the autopilot in heading mode. On the GPS select OBS, go into SUSP, and on the CDI/HSI turn course knob to select the holding inbound course. Let's say for simplicity sake it's a direct entry and no wind. Once you reach the fix start your turn to the outbound course (5 Ts) and turn the heading bug to the outbound course. Then fly the hold as you normally would. If you are using the autopilot at the end of the outbound leg once you start your turn inbound you can toggle the autopilot into Nav mode for the inbound leg. You can the fly the hold using the autopliot by toggling back and forth between Nav and Heading modes.

V6 of the GTN software which is supposed to be released any day now adds a holding feature for any waypoint that once you input the holding data (courses, leg time or length, EFC) draws the hold on the map, if autopilot equipped will fly the entire hold from entry to exit (just like already does for published holds on an approach), and provides an EFC countdown timer.

Last edited:
Another useful thing you can do with the OBS knob is go around a cloud. Put down a user waypoint. Turn the OBS knob to the 30 degrees right to get around the cloud. Now you have a course line for the autopilot or pilot to follow. Its generally better to put waypoints in the flightplan. That way if they GPS loses it, you can get it back quickly. Its in the flight plan.

Did Max ever do a book on the GTN? His stuff on the G1000 had lots of detail and was readable.

Make the holding fix the active waypoint. If using the autopilot sync the heading bug and place the autopilot in heading mode. On the GPS select OBS, go into SUSP, and on the CDI/HSI turn course knob to select the holding inbound course. Let's say for simplicity sake it's a direct entry and no wind. Once you reach the fix start your turn to the outbound course (5 Ts) and turn the heading bug to the outbound course. Then fly the hold as you normally would. If you are using the autopilot at the end of the outbound leg once you start your turn inbound you can toggle the autopilot into Nav mode for the inbound leg. You can the fly the hold using the autopliot by toggling back and forth between Nav and Heading modes.

V6 of the GTN software which is supposed to be released any day now adds a holding feature for any waypoint that once you input the holding data (courses, leg time or length, EFC) draws the hold on the map, if autopilot equipped will fly the entire hold from entry to exit (just like already does for published holds on an approach), and provides an EFC countdown timer.

Thanks! Good to know.
I see it here.

Thanks! Good to know.
I see it here.

To paraphrase Trump... that's yuge!

But really it isn't that huge since I've never ever been issue a hold by ATC that I didn't request. I can see why they waited until SW version 6.

But if I ever did get one, this would reduce workload by a bunch when combined with my ap. I wonder if it will automatically adjust the outbound legs so that the inbound leg remains 1 min (or whatever).

Last edited:
These software based radios are amazing machines!

Hold at any published point in the database??? pffft.... had it for long time on CNX80/480

Hold at any published point in the database??? pffft.... had it for long time on CNX80/480

However, Garmin likes to kill brands and get rid of superior products so get excited for the update!

Bruce Williams also has an excellent how-to on this in his blog:

https://bruceair.wordpress.com/2016/02/06/flying-ad-hoc-holds-with-a-gtn-750/

Yes, that's an excellent presentation.
I would suggest using the latest version GTN trainer for the PC, which is 6.01.0. This will allow you to practice these procedures on your desktop. What is not mentioned in Bruce's blog article is that you don't even have to have the holding fix in your flight plan -- you can simply find it on the map, click on it and ask to go direct and hold there. You can set up the inbound course to anything you want (assuming it's not published), and have control over all other hold parameters. In the trainer it will decide on your best hold entry, then enter the hold and fly it for you. The new trainer version has easy to use on-screen controls for airspeed and altitude, making the "flying" process much easier than before.

How do you make the damn thing beep when you get to a waypoint? I want an audio reminder.

Back