GTN databases

bnt83

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
Anyone buying just the $299 / year nav data? Do you miss or wish you had something else?

The $559 US Lite Pilot Pack seems expensive and redundant with an EFB on the iPad.
Including Obstacles, SafeTaxi, Terrain, Airport Directory, FliteCharts, IFR/VFR Charts, Basemap, and Frequency databases.

US Fixed Wing for $499 looks like it just adds databases that don't change much.
Including Garmin Navigation, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, and Terrain (9AS) databases.

US Standard One Pack for $649 might make sense on an intermittent basis if I had a portable like a 660 that updated the same, but I don't. (My understanding is this one would cover both the GTN and a portable 660)
Including Garmin Navigation, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, Airport Directory, IFR/VFR Charts, Terrain, Basemap, and Frequency databases.

The Nav package is the only one legally needed to fly IFR. If you have the rest on your tablet, you should be good to go. I personally like the peace of mind and convenience that comes with the more expensive package that includes terrain, safe taxi and obstacles, in case my (two) tablets fail.

I plan on having two EFBs, my iPhone and iPad. I know the phone is small but in a pinch it will still do the job.

Anyone buying just the $299 / year nav data? Do you miss or wish you had something else?

Yes, that's what I bought. In fact when I went over the options with the sales person at Garmin, he steered me towards that. Since I already had Pilot it was really redundant to get any extra data for the GTN. There's no obligation to keep SafeTaxi and obstacle databases updated (they are on Pilot anyway) and I figure once every now and then I'll do an ala carte update for those just to keep them reasonable. Happy with choice.

I used a gtn 650 for the first time today but
I can't figure out why the map is black not in colour? The track is in colour though. The database is out of date.

Any ideas

Thanks

The $299 annual nav package is what I just got for my 650. I think that, combined with Foreflight Pro is plenty for my needs.

Mountains don't move, and most folks have iPads for taxi stuff, as long as your terrain and obsticals are from the last decade, I'd just go with the nav subscription.

Back