GTN 650 WAAS

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
Our club is looking at buying a newer plane and in the process putting in a GTN 650W.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit? Any opinions either way?

I've trained a few clients with a 650 in their plane. Very nice system -- easier to use than the 430, bigger screen, better visuals, has the airways.

Like Ron said, its a very nice system. Although sometimes when its a little bumpy my fingers don't cooperate with the touch screen. Go download the GTN simulator off of the Garmin website. its free so just play around with it and see if you like it

Very nice. I took an IFR training flight to Green Bay and Madison last week in a Dakota that has one. Much easier to use than the 430 it replaced. As Ron said, it plugs in all the waypoints on the airways. Just an easier more intuitive unit I think. If you are going to get one, for about 4,000 more you can get the 750 with the larger screen.

Last edited:
I wonder how a pilot can operate the touch screen buttons during rough turbulence.

When bouncing around the knobs on a 430 or 530 help steady my hand to input date.

I wonder how a pilot can operate the touch screen buttons during rough turbulence.

When bouncing around the knobs on a 430 or 530 help steady my hand to input date.
It's an acquireable skill with practice, and unlike the 430/530, there's no chance of breaking off a knob.

Like Ron said, its a very nice system. Although sometimes when its a little bumpy my fingers don't cooperate with the touch screen. Go download the GTN simulator off of the Garmin website. its free so just play around with it and see if you like it

I downloaded the simulator this morning. It seems very easy to maneuver through the pages and options. Like someone mentioned, I would be a bit concerned about operating the touch screen in turbulence, but if I read correctly, the knobs still work like other units as a backup.

You did not read correctly. The 650/750 do not have all the other knobs.

The simulator did allow frequency changes with the lower right knobs as well as touch screen input. I guess that was about it then.

I downloaded the simulator this morning. It seems very easy to maneuver through the pages and options. Like someone mentioned, I would be a bit concerned about operating the touch screen in turbulence, but if I read correctly, the knobs still work like other units as a backup.

You're thinking of the King units - They can be operated either entirely as a touchscreen, entirely with buttons and knobs, or any combination of the two. Too bad their UI is absolutely terrible. :(

Garmin, you need to use the touchscreen, even in turbulence - But it's got a little ledge at the bottom of the screen to prop your hand on if needed.

It's an acquireable skill with practice, and unlike the 430/530, there's no chance of breaking off a knob.

Have you ever heard of that happening? I haven't.

I too would be concerned about a touch screen in the bumpy crud. I had a 696 for a while, but sold it and went back to my 496 for this same reason. Thankfully I hadn't sold my 496 yet.

On my trip to Green Bay the turbulence was pretty substantial at lower altitudes. I steadied my right had on the unit and had no issues in the turbulence, and I'm not a fan of turbulence.....

It takes a little getting used to, but it's a great unit, the touch screen isn't too bad, unless it's really bumpy! :eek: The knobs are good for changing frequencies, if a 750 will fit it's a little easier to use. IMO. :D

It takes a little getting used to, but it's a great unit, the touch screen isn't too bad, unless it's really bumpy! :eek: The knobs are good for changing frequencies, if a 750 will fit it's a little easier to use. IMO. :D

I haven't used a 650/750, but while I had my doubts about touch screens, I have found no real issues with Garmin Aeras touch screens. If it is bumpy enough to cause problems with the touch screen, it is probably bumpy enough that it will take a little extra time with a 430/530.

The 650/750 does have one rotary knob in the lower right corner. Whichever freq is highlighted (comm/Nav) can be changed by rotating the knob.

There are "grab rails" on each side for thumb/finger grip to stabilize the forefinger operation on the touch screen.

I've flown the 750, they have big touch buttons, normal turbulence may not be an issue.

430/530 series can swap data cards so if you have 2 gps units you may use 1 subscription and rotate the expiring card between your 2 gps units.
The GTN series cannot swap data cards.

The data subscription cost for the GTN is something you should investigate prior to making a decision between 430/530 and GTN. The cost to maintain legal subscription is not the same.

The GTN does have airways which is a gripe I have had with the 430 lacking airways.

Back