GTN 650 & trio &...

alaskan9974

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
alaskan9974
Trying to set up my 182 with an inexpensive setup for gps rnav, considering a trio pro pilot and gtn 650, haven't decided on a adsb out yet. Will any of those interface with my G5's or are they orphans.

I have installed 2 trio pro pilots. Not familiar with the G5. If the G5 can output by rs232 or arinc 429, the trio should be able to follow it.

I have installed 2 trio pro pilots. Not familiar with the G5. If the G5 can output by rs232 or arinc 429, the trio should be able to follow it.
Maybe....
The G5 emulates a BK55, so the Trio have to support it’s protocol. For example, I replaced a nsd360 HSI with the G5 and it required the STEC AP to be reconfigured (a jumper changed) to talk to the G5.

Trying to set up my 182 with an inexpensive setup for gps rnav, considering a trio pro pilot and gtn 650, haven't decided on a adsb out yet. Will any of those interface with my G5's or are they orphans.

I don't think there is any way to get the trio to interface with the G5 HSI. That being said, *I think* the only thing that would be missing is heading tracking. Lateral and vertical nav tracking signals would still come from the GTN and go directly to the autopilot.

If you already have dual G5 you should probably request for quotes on a new GFC 500. You can save about $1800 in parts and $______ labor by skipping the electric trim option, which can even be added later if desired. (I wouldn't skip the trim but that's me)

There are several variables, like how to add the pitch trim and the autopilot discomnect swith. We just bought some new yokes to hold this guy, the PTT and autopilot disconnect switch.

upload_2018-1-2_7-43-2.png

Assuming the G5 HSI ever controls the display and autopilot tracking of two nav/gps receviers it may influence which autopilot you want to invest in.

Last edited:
The trio folks are easy to reach to ask directly. they are in California time zone.

I tried to buy a GTN 650 but the local dealer would not sell over the counter, for garmin to use their paperwork in a way to ensure only their dealers install a unit I paid for and not allow my own mechanic's shop doesn't seem ethical to me..so I settled and bought a 530w for now. Perhaps I'll upgrade it in the future when I don't have to go through an expensive dealer.

I tried to buy a GTN 650 but the local dealer would not sell over the counter, for garmin to use their paperwork in a way to ensure only their dealers install a unit I paid for and not allow my own mechanic's shop doesn't seem ethical to me..so I settled and bought a 530w for now. Perhaps I'll upgrade it in the future when I don't have to go through an expensive dealer.

In their defense, some yahoo buys a GTN, ends up screwing up the installation. Either Garmin support is forced to help clean up the mess, or worst, it fails at the wrong time due to incompetence and they get sued.

I don’t blame them for trying to protect themselves.
Yes, you may not be an idiot, but they can’t tell that by looking at your credit card. For example, reusing the antenna and coax from previous gps box, just to save a few $.

In their defense, some yahoo buys a GTN, ends up screwing up the installation. Either Garmin support is forced to help clean up the mess, or worst, it fails at the wrong time due to incompetence and they get sued.

I don’t blame them for trying to protect themselves.
Yes, you may not be an idiot, but they can’t tell that by looking at your credit card. For example, reusing the antenna and coax from previous gps box, just to save a few $.

It's all an imaginary line (policy). They are now selling several products OTC (over the counter) for installation in certified aircraft like the G5 instruments including the ADI & HSI, GAD29B (legacy autopilot interface). The GDL82 and GTX335 are two more examples. All of these come with installation paperwork.

I don't know about you but the G5 ADI and HSI are pretty darn critical. I would NOT want just anyone putting them in. That all being said, if you pay enough attention to the forums you'll see even the authorized dealers screw up left and right too. Most of them don't even mark the wiring which I feel really sucks. Do you have an actual wiring diagram for your installation? Chances are, nope.

Also, you have to buy everything through a dealer, they can easily charge higher prices for OTC sales to try and make up for the lack of labor charges.Don't forget the "dealer installation only policy" evaporates when dealing with homebuilts, they will sell almost anything to anyone. (same goes for other brands)

Avidyne must be selling the IFD series to anyone as there are several website selling GPS units OTC with installation paperwork to replace GNS series avionics.

That's partly what is so attractive about Trutrak, Trio and Dynon. The rumor mill says that Dynon is going to require dealer installs of the Skyview, I'm hoping that policy never materializes. Right now, today you can buy a Trutrak autopilot for a 172/177 and install it yourself with your AI’s help. Trio has stuff approved too.

Last edited:

This is exactly why resale for G430W/530W's are so high. I know Av tech's installing 430/530's on the side for an overall lower cost. Good choice.

I have a 430W with the latest SW/HW revisions updated, coupled to a GTX-345 ADS-B transponder, and FlightStream 210. Fantastic set-up. Whole set-up is fully integrated with ForeFlight. Any flight plan changes in FF or 430W are updated in the other device respectively.

Traffic & weather appear on both devices. Absolutely like getting traffic, terrain, and obstacle alerts on the 430W; then look at FF on the iPad for more detail.

Many consider the L3 9000 and the GTX-345 transponders the "gold standard" for ADS-B. Might cost a little more, but in the end it's what many pilots would like to have.

Back