Grumman Tiger Vs Mooney M20C or E

Which plane should I choose

• Total voters
That was not my experience. We definitely spent money on maintenance of both the gear and the flaps in the C I used to fly. It wasn't a ton of money, but it definitely more than zero.

and you can always tell a Johnson bar Mooney. Just watch for the wobble on final as flaps are deployed....lol

and you can always tell a Johnson bar Mooney. Just watch for the wobble on final as flaps are deployed....lol
Huh? Johnson bar isn't used for flaps on a mooney.

I believe the joke you're looking for is you can always tell a Johnson bar Mooney, just watch for the right wing dip as the gear comes up after takeoff.

I've never once seen a wobble associated with flap deployment. But you will definitely see a right wing dip as the new Mooney pilot reaches down to hook the johnson bar on the floor. You were so close. Better luck next time.

...and you can always tell a Johnson bar Mooney pilot - check the scars on his or her right hand’s knuckles.
That one has some truth to it. I take a divot out about every 100 takeoffs.

A Mooney of any kind is simply more efficient than a Tiger which is what I was responding to and even the fastest Tiger couldn’t pass the slowest Mooney.
OK, I'll call your bluff: A Tiger can definitely pass a Mooney M10 Cadet or M18 Mite.
300px-MooneyM10.jpg
220px-MooneyM-18CMiteN4057.jpg

Oh you meant the M20 series? Then M20D or M20G :)

image.jpg.875b54846d28fd6f102a3a2c25708225.jpg

OK, @asicer, you got me, but if you eliminate the oddballs, it's a true statement as far as Cs and Es go. As far as the Johnson bar goes, don't worry too much about the knuckle scraping on the uplock. Worry about it not seating properly in the downlock. If you don't have the nipple seated in all the way it can work itself out in bumps or Gs and it'll fly up so fast it could take your arm off.

I’ve flown both and liked them both. In fact, flown lost of different make/models over 30 years of flying and liked something about most planes I’ve flown. I would go with the advice many have shared to buy the plane in best condition and with the avionics you need.

I currently on a Mooney C. Owned it for 10 years and I wasn’t particularly looking for one but a good friend owned it and I would help him with the annuals and when he decided to get a twin I bought it from him. It’s just me and the wife so don’t need to carry adults in the back seat often but have on several occasions. Useful load is right at 1000 lbs. sweet spot for cruising is between 7000-10000 feet and my C will reliably do 145 Kts burning 9.2 GPH. I’ve flown as high as 16,500 but performance and speed drops off and not worth it unless you need to because of terrain or weather. It makes a nice instrument platform and maintenance has been fairly low. The Jonson bar landing gear requires lube every annual and a torque check which takes less than 15 minutes to do. Have never had to adjust anything. Annuals have been averaging around 2K. Insurance was 900 for 60k hull value but hear rates are going up so I’ll see what the new rate is in November when it’s due. I live in Florida and travel to Ohio and now Wisconsin to see my son and the Mooney handles that great. north Florida to Oxford Ohio nonstop right at 4 hours.

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...E+SUPER+21&listing_id=2383324&s-type=aircraft

VFR M20E for 30k. For that discount, you can easily upgrade and be ahead.

This is almost too good to be true. I paid $48k for my M20E: about the same airplane in most respects, and it came with noticeable problems: dorsal scoop taped shut because the cable is broken, the Positive Control is INOP, stall warning INOP (I fixed it since). It was not yet 2020 compliant, too.

Before getting it, I looked at several $30k Mooneys, and they always had big issues. One of them even been flooded by a hurricane! But perhaps you lucked upon a guy who just wants to sell.

Update: Last flight on FlightAware was in 2016. That's your explanation right there.

Last edited:
it will be 45-50k once you've fixed the radios and gotten a new paint job, that might be high for a VFR M20E. Sounds like the airplane is flying fairly regularly.

Back