Group Hangar Etiquette

Flocker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flocker
I figured it was common knowledge. Apparently not. I'll save the rant for another day. Feel free to post the do's and don'ts here for people that may become part of a group hangar.

1) If you cause the hangar rash moving airplanes, you are responsible for a) letting the others know immediately and b) paying for the repairs
2) Do not take other owners' oil, oil filters and other consumables because you forgot to order any (unless said products are community property)
3) If you bring a dog to the hangar, make sure you clean up immediately after any unexpected events. Clean real good. Really good.

I arrived at the hangar once to find someone sitting on the wing of my plane.
I've had hangar rash and despite knowing who was responsible, they denied it.

from what I see around here it's perfectly normal to let your kids run around the hangar basically unsupervised but whatever you do always leave the hangar doors wide open.
Leaving Cessna flaps down can stop kids running about, provided they are the right height to receive the "diamond punch mark".

I arrived at the hangar once to find someone sitting on the wing of my plane.
I've had hangar rash and despite knowing who was responsible, they denied it.
I had an FBO (the one at IAD that's not Signature) do significant damage towing my plane without letting me know (let alone take responsibility for it), so it's no limited to hangars.

Always: Use the last of the TP in the restroom.

Never: Replenish it from the stock in the closet.

Feel free to use your grinder or other abrasive dust producer in the hangar. Spray painting is appreciated too.

Always: Use your remote control to open the hangar door as you're taxiing in, then do a high power pedal turn so you blast the whole hangar with all the sand and FOD in the immediate area.

Always: Use the handy tow-bar thats not yours, then put it where its rightful owner won't find it.

Never: Chip in for coffee and snacks. Feel free to take whatever you want from the fridge.

IDK, my "group" hangar is owned/operated by the FBO. They move the airplanes, never heard of any rules or issues with visitors. They don't allow maintenance to be done in hangar which does get annoying. People don't really 'hang out' there so really there aren't issues that I've run into.

IDK, my "group" hangar is owned/operated by the FBO. They move the airplanes, never heard of any rules or issues with visitors. They don't allow maintenance to be done in hangar which does get annoying. People don't really 'hang out' there so really there aren't issues that I've run into.

sounds like a really warm, welcoming place. :-/

sounds like a really warm, welcoming place. :-/
I've been at this type of group hangar, and the free-for-all kind of hangar where everyone gets their plane out on their own, does maintenance in the hangar, etc. I'll take @cowman 's type over the free-for-all type anyday. "A person is great. People are a**h***s"

Always: Use your remote control to open the hangar door as you're taxiing in, then do a high power pedal turn so you blast the whole hangar with all the sand and FOD in the immediate area..

"This is Gold Jerry!!".... Cosmo Kramer

And for crying out loud when ya take a dump in the corner of the hangar, don't leave the used TP laying around.... that's nasty.!!

Reading these replies really makes me appreciate my $40 a month single stall T hanger. :)

I've been at this type of group hangar, and the free-for-all kind of hangar where everyone gets their plane out on their own, does maintenance in the hangar, etc. I'll take @cowman 's type over the free-for-all type anyday. "A person is great. People are a**h***s"

it doesn't have to be one or the other.

A group hangar would be a great opportunity to have a small community of pilots hanging out, shooting the breeze, helping one another, etc.

it doesn't have to be one or the other.

A group hangar would be a great opportunity to have a small community of pilots hanging out, shooting the breeze, helping one another, etc.
You're right, it doesn't have to be...it just usually is.

I’m in a group hangar,run by the FBO. With hangar space at a premium in Florida ,I’m happy to be there. They move the plane . I have had no problems . I have a good rapport with the linemen making it a pleasant experience.

When I was based at IAD I didn't even have a dedicated tie down. I paid $125/mo for the privilege of leaving it on their ramp somewhere. There were some places for small singles near the building but the Navion wings are a bit high for a low wing and too low for a high wing so I just left it out with the twins most of the time. The amusing thing was since I put the plane away myself and just walked through the FBO and got in my car and left, it never occurred to me that they didn't know to charge me the landing fee if I didn't tell them I had arrived. I went a couple of years and only paid the landing fee once.

One time my wife went out to wash the plane prior to us going to Oshkosh. I went out the next day to fly it down for a quick transponder/alt check and I can't find the plane anywhere. After a while I looked in their large community hangar and there she was sitting nestled up against a G-IV. The ramp guys decided since Margy spent so much effort washing it, they'd leave it inside until they needed the space. Another time, right before Christmas I shuttled my daughter from Penn State down to the family Christmas party. I asked the line guy if he could either put it in the hangar or get it close enough to the building to plug in my Tannis heater. I came back the next day to find my plane sitting in the middle of an otherwise empty hangar... with the block heater plugged in. Yeah, I tipped that guy well.

I was in a group hangar for a couple years at RYY. Linemen had to do any movement of the plane, but you could do simple maintenance and cleaning. I was a new pilot with a new plane, so I spent a lot of time in the hangar on non-flyable days. I never saw another soul except for one day. There were a couple of planes in the corner, including a pretty nice Cirrus, that had about an inch thick layer of bird crap on them. My plane was almost always in the front row as I flew regularly. No hangar rash and it was kind of nice to call ahead and have it pulled out by the time you got there.

Back