Grounded.

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
Temporarily. The flying club I was using has closed due to the owner/chief instructor's sudden Stage 4 diagnosis. All operations are stopped.

So now I'm looking at other clubs in the area. But My IR is stopped and my passenger currency will lapse.

That blows. I'd find a CFII quick just to maintain what you've already trained for up to this point. Don't want to regress. Good luck.

So I take it that the club did not own the plane but rather it was owned by a single member and now that the owner-member is sick and can't fly, he doesn't want to continue to allow the club to use the plane. Is he selling the plane then? If so can the other members buy it or form a real club to buy it? If he isn't selling then he will be eating all of the fixed costs himself rather than having the members help with it. That makes little sense. What am I missing?

So I take it that the club did not own the plane but rather it was owned by a single member and now that the owner-member is sick and can't fly, he doesn't want to continue to allow the club to use the plane. Is he selling the plane then? If so can the other members buy it or form a real club to buy it? If he isn't selling then he will be eating all of the fixed costs himself rather than having the members help with it. That makes little sense. What am I missing?
Yeah, same questions.

He owned one plane, the other was a leaseback from another member. But the club's incorporation and all admin was handled by the one person. What he intends to do with the plane I don't know and I'm not pressing him for answers since he's clearly got other things to deal with. There are other clubs with copious instructors so I have options. It was essentially a one man operation from day one.

Ironically, the last time I flew with him I asked what he was thinking about ADS-B for his plane and he said he wasn't thinking about it yet since he didn't know if the plane or he would make it to 2020.

I'm sad for him. He's a good instructor and a good guy. He picked up the pieces from that last club I belonged to when I didn't know if I would be able to afford to continue flying. And it was a shock to all.

John

Sad story indeed.

Sounds like buying the operation is out, so the plane ends up in buzzards row and becomes one of those planes everyone wonders about.

Been down this road. One day everything was great the next day BAM.... but our situation was a little more nefarious than yours.

Right now I have a pretty good situation with one of the local flight schools, but that said, my eyes are open for a possible ownership thing.. or a solid partnership.

BTDT. Lost my favorite rental club back in the day to the airplane owner having a heart attack in the same year his wife was diagnosed with cancer. Another pilot / surgeon got him back flying eventually, but the club was toast.

@jsstevens sorry to hear about that. I've got a few options where I'm at that range from stupid expensive to dangerously inexpensive. I see you're in KORL, I'm based out of KSRQ. It's bit of a drive, but KSPG (Whitted) has some really good options for planes and instructors usually. Or, closer to you perhaps KLAL or KBOW?

@jsstevens sorry to hear about that. I've got a few options where I'm at that range from stupid expensive to dangerously inexpensive. I see you're in KORL, I'm based out of KSRQ. It's bit of a drive, but KSPG (Whitted) has some really good options for planes and instructors usually. Or, closer to you perhaps KLAL or KBOW?
Thanks. 2 hour drive to go fly isn't going to work for me. (But I do want to fly into Whitted one of these days!). There are clubs at KORL and KSFB which are each ~ 1/2 from me.

John

Ask around the airport, see if someone has a partnership share for sale. And check Craig's List. You would be amazed at how many end up there.

A 'club' is an entity that exists independent from any particular person.

What you were dealing with is an aircraft rental business that calls itself 'club' to avoid having to conform to your airports uniform commercial standards.

If you put a location in your profile, people can give you pointers on where to go to get access to an aircraft.

Thanks. 2 hour drive to go fly isn't going to work for me. (But I do want to fly into Whitted one of these days!). There are clubs at KORL and KSFB which are each ~ 1/2 from me.

John

Yeah I understand, believe me. I wish I lived closer to KSPG or even in the middle of the Tampa Bay/Clearwater area. The FBO's and rentals up there are SO much better than KSRQ or KVNC. And the plane quality/availability is really awesome as well.

I can get into an Arrow at KSPG for less than the cost of a 172 in KSRQ..problem is I have to drive 30-45 minutes each way to do it. I don't even rent from KSRQ anymore unless I have no other options available and I live like 5 minutes from the field.

Honestly that was another reason for buying a plane last year, so I could fly something dependable when I wanted to fly. Maybe I'll go down that road again sometime..

This thread is a good example of how POA could assist people finding a club or partnership, which would probably increase the ranks of GA and improve it's future.

OP, KOMN is about an hour from you if you wanted to partner up with a Bonanza.

This thread is a good example of how POA could assist people finding a club or partnership, which would probably increase the ranks of GA and improve it's future.

OP, KOMN is about an hour from you if you wanted to partner up with a Bonanza.

If you were closer I'd be interested. I'd love access to a Bo and yours is a very nice example. But I can't swing a large capital outlay right now as my youngest is headed to college next year.

I'm planning to join Orlando Aviators (a more traditional club). They're based at KORL, have 4 aircraft (including a G-1000 equipped C-182) and ~8-10 instructors.

John

Current news: my former instructor and club owner has passed away. Roughly 3 months from diagnosis to death.

Tailwinds, John Nadon.

He told me (via text) to "keep plugging away". To that end I joined Orlando Aviators flying club. The rates are comparable. I'll have access (after checkout) to a couple of Piper Archers and (post HP endorsement and 5 hours dual) a G1000 equipped C-182, as well as a C-172. All have IR capable GPS.

Last Thursday I did the C-172 checkout and am now cleared to fly day VFR.

Sorry for your loss. It sucks when friends or other loved ones pass.

As a back up, Van Anda Aviation has a C-172R model based out of ORL. $120 wet, with 11 hours if you buy a block of 10 hrs.

http://vaaviation.com/

Good folks. I rent the planes out of North Orlando Airpark.

As a back up, Van Anda Aviation has a C-172R model based out of ORL. $120 wet, with 11 hours if you buy a block of 10 hrs.

http://vaaviation.com/

Good folks. I rent the planes out of North Orlando Airpark.

Hmmm. According to their website they rent out of 5 airports, none of which are ORL. Orlando North, Orlando Apopka, Merritt Island, Sarasota and Melbourne. Anyway, looks like a class outfit.

Based on the scheduler for Orlando Aviators, once I get checked out in the Archers, I should have no scheduling problems. Apparently low wings are less popular...

John

Hmmm. According to their website they rent out of 5 airports, none of which are ORL. Orlando North, Orlando Apopka, Merritt Island, Sarasota and Melbourne. Anyway, looks like a class outfit.

Based on the scheduler for Orlando Aviators, once I get checked out in the Archers, I should have no scheduling problems. Apparently low wings are less popular...

John

N671MA is based out of Atlantic. http://vaaviation.com/index.php?n=Site.RentalSchedule

Back