Ground External Power with G1000

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by GaryRudolph, Jul 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GaryRudolph

GaryRudolph Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Gary
    Just picked up an aircraft with a G1000 and I'm trying to do some training on the ground. I connected a JAC2024H to the external power and when I start the PFD with the Master Battery switch it shows negative AMPS for the M BAT. Is this normal with ground power? Is there a handshake I'm missing?

2. gsengle

gsengle Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Gsengle
    Depends on the airplane in all likelihood. Have your AFM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    According to the manual on 7-53 it says, if the M BAT ammeter does not show a positive charge, the battery should be serviced before flight.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  4. 455 Bravo Uniform

455 Bravo Uniform Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    455 Bravo Uniform
    On my 182, per the service manual, ground power opens a normally closed relay on the electronics side of the bus. I'd have to put power on the battery to mess around with my radios, etc. But I'm a newb, that's my understanding, may be wrong.

5. GaryRudolph

Display Name:

Display name:
    Gary
    I'm in a 206, and I thought ground power would open just by connecting it. The POH doesn't have much on it to just run avionics without starting. I'll reread again.

On the ground power it never leaves flood charging mode. The ground power green light is on, but the yellow charging is not.

6. DGlaeser

DGlaeser Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    DGlaeser
    We've had problems with the ground power relay not closing properly. When that happens no ground power is getting to the system. When you turn on the ground power (big red plug in place), you should hear a contactor 'click'.
    When in doubt, remove the top cowl and connect directly to the battery. If that shows charging on the G1000, then you need to get the ground power system serviced.

7. GaryRudolph

Display Name:

Display name:
    Gary
    Had a shop look at it and the connectors had to be cleaned. It wasn't triggering the relay.

8. Frank Palmieri

Frank Palmieri Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Frank P
    I don't mean to hack this thread but I have the same problem. I connected my GPU and turned on my master and Avionics switches and my G1000 is indicating a -11.2 draw. Any suggestions? The instructions on the GPU are very lame so I'm not sure I'm doing the proper procedures to use a GPU. I have a 2007 182T. Thanks

9. oilburner

oilburner Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    oilburner
    I use a Start Pac, but often have to wiggle the plug into the recepticle on my C-182T just right to get the negative current draws to go away.

10. Larry in TN

Larry in TN Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Larry in TN
    Is there a separate ground power switch?

11. Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dan Thomas
    You are using a 24-volt power supply, right? 28-volt output? I'm assuming this is a 28-volt airplane.

There's a diode between the third pin (the small pin) and the external power contactor in the Master Control Unit. The external power receptacle is on that box. If the diode is shot, and they do burn out, the contactor doesn't close. Lamar doesn't specify the part number for that diode in any of their literature, and Cessna says it's a vendor item. I had to weasel the part number out of a Lamar engineer. Now, I can't remember what it was, and I'm retired. 1N4007, maybe?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018