Great news - I'm getting a biplane...

jbrinker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jbrinker
Great news - Maybe some of you remember that years ago I located the gentleman who currently owns the Acrosport II my grandfather (and I - a little) built back in the 80's/90's. Almost three years ago I went to Michigan to fly in it, and soon after started my flight training in earnest.

I found out a few days ago that he has decided he's done flying it and will be passing it on to me as soon as I want it. I had planned to have someone ferry it back (with me too!) but he feels more comfortable shipping it to me -which I am fine with also.

So - I've been looking for a hangar, and think I found one at a local airport at a very reasonable price. Fully enclosed, blacktop floor, electric, and the airport has an active EAA chapter, 2 grass runways, and a fair number of tailwheel/older planes.

I go to check the hangar tomorrow night, and probably sign the lease. Within a few weeks I will have a biplane (dissassembled). With luck I will have my PPL by then as well since my ride is scheduled for 9/12 - although I may have to push it back another week or two due to work.

Can't wait to get some time in the J3 up at Fulton so I can start getting tailwheel skills!

Define "passing it on to me." You mean he's giving it to you?

You looky, looky, bahstid. ;)

You asked so... Here's some pics from my ride 3 years back. Me, Mike (probably the nicest guy I have ever met), and the Acro.

I'm really excited - even though I know I will have to temper that excitement until I have some significant tailwheel time, as well as needing time to reassemble it, and make some minor repairs I know it needs. Hoping to be able to fly it by early next summer.

Attachments

• IMG_0519.JPG
    IMG_0519.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0532.JPG
    IMG_0532.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0534.JPG
    IMG_0534.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 176
Congrats man! That is bad ass....both the bird and the story.
Take your time and be safe so you can enjoy it for many years.
Gonna seem like a looong wait till next summer I bet lol.

You'll find the Acrosport is a fairly docile tailwheel airplane. You'll be flying it solo sooner than you think with proper instruction of course. Have fun with it! Don

Congrats!!! Great looking plane.

What a wonderful plane and story! Enjoy!

Where are you basing it?

Nice plane. I loved getting my tailwheel in a J3. At around 50 tailwheel crosswinds started to feel really good.

Update for the curious: The current owner (Mike) and his mechanic were able to get the wings off this past weekend. He said it was surprisingly easy. Transport company has been contacted, and sounds like they can probably fit it in before mid-end of October. Should just make it before winter.

My instructor thinks I should ask to keep it at Oswego (KFZY) EAA (486) hangar for the winter/spring, as there is an active group out there including a guy with the same plane that can help me. I go to the board meeting tonight to talk to them about it. I also have a hangar at Marcellus (NK71), which is MUCH closer (5 min detour on my daily commute - Oswego is a full hour from my work, or my house - either way). I'm not decided... After a brief phone talk with the 486 board member it sounds like they don't do much work in the winter up there, mostly just storage. So maybe I should keep it in Marcellus until spring then move it again, or see if I can get people to help me in Marcellus? I just don't know. I should have a better idea after the meeting tonight. My thought is that I will do more on it if it's closer, but if there are not resources available maybe I will get little done and would be better off further away until it's back in flying shape.

Either way - I will have a plane (in pieces) in a few weeks. To be sure I will not be flying it until next summer regardless, as I need to finish my PPL (checkride 10/17 now) and get my tailwheel endorsement (might get complex in my instructors Arrow too since the biplane has a CS prop).

Sweet. I'd go for your current hangar beings it soooooo closer. Other one has appeal but an hour, yuk. Have fun with it!

(might get complex in my instructors Arrow too since the biplane has a CS prop).

You don't need complex unless it has all three, CS prop, flaps, and retractable gear. Wouldn't hurt to have it though!

I found out a few days ago that he has decided he's done flying it and will be passing it on to me as soon as I want it.

You realize, of course, we all hate you now...!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Good luck with the upcoming check ride..

I never thought to ask what my planes sexual preference was.

Why not get the complex in your own airplane? Knock it out along with the checkout and tailwheel? There's nothing like training in the plane you plan on flying.

Why not get the complex in your own airplane? Knock it out along with the checkout and tailwheel?

Because adding retracts and flaps to the Acro Sport would delay him another summer getting into the air.

Because adding retracts and flaps to the Acro Sport would delay him another summer getting into the air.

That makes sense. It's been so long since I got complex that I forgot what it takes. :confused:

Update for the curious: The current owner (Mike) and his mechanic were able to . . .

Now there's a flash from the past . . . :cool:

I also vote for the hangar near home. You'll get much more done since it won't be a chore to go there. Besides, they do little at the distant field during winter.

Now there's a flash from the past . . . :cool:

I also vote for the hangar near home. You'll get much more done since it won't be a chore to go there. Besides, they do little at the distant field during winter.

Yeah, but Mike had more than one mechanic if I remember correctly

It is not that difficult to assemble that airplane. You can do it with a little guidance. You can learn the joys or rigging a biplane. Keep it in the closer hangar and you will be motivated to work on it. Don

Let me know when you get it delivered. I'd love to see it even in pieces.

Attended EAA chapter 486 board meeting last night, and met yet another bunch of great folks. Consensus was that not a whole lot of work gets done on anything in that hangar over the winter anyway, and that I'd be best with it in my own hangar at least until spring. So, that's going to be the plan.

One of the board members (Dan) has an Acrosport II, and after the meeting we took a ride over to his hangar. Very nice plane indeed! He had some great ideas about transition training, and he will put me in touch with his mechanic as well. He also has the "board" necessary for rigging the plane, and was really helpful with a lot of info.

So, since it's going to my hangar probably in a few weeks, and I'm certain it won't be flying for at least 6-8 months, my instructor said I should absolutely get the motor pickled. What's involved in that process? I presume that is something any A&P could do (IO-360)?

(edit) found the Lycoming procedure for preservation here: (Old links were broken)
https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/Engine Preservation for Active and Stored Aircraft.pdf

So - seems to me that procedure falls under "general maintenance" and I could legally do it myself. I mean, if I can change oil and change a spark plug, I can do that since it is basically a special oil change, followed up by some oil in the cylinders, and desiccant plugs plus some bags and tape.

@FlyBoyAndy Will do!

Last edited:
So - seems to me that procedure falls under "general maintenance" and I could legally do it myself.
It seems to me that an Acrosport-II would be certificated at E-AB which means that you can do everything at all (e.g overhaul the engine) except the condition inspection on your own with no A&P involved.

Here is a non-A&P idgit installing the wings on his own...

Good point, I wasn't even thinking straight. All I need is an A&P to do the condition inspection. So I can even rig it and reassemble it myself. Still a good idea to have someone involved who knows their stuff though since I don't. (I'm really quite mechanical but new at planes)

Anyone have any links to some good reference books for E-AB owners on proper techniques? I.e. "Basic A&P stuff for the E-AB owner"

Back