GPSMAP 396

Eric Brunelle

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ericb
Hello All - My 396 now just shows a question mark (?) in map mode. It is hooked up to my 430 WAAS, and the 430 works fine. I still get flight plans from the 430 onto the 396. Any suggestions?

There’s a key combination to do a hard reset. It’s in the manual, and it worked when suddenly my 496 lost its ability to find satellites. Jut be aware you do lose all user waypoints, flight plans and preferences.

There’s a key combination to do a hard reset. It’s in the manual, and it worked when suddenly my 496 lost its ability to find satellites. Jut be aware you do lose all user waypoints, flight plans and preferences.
Thanks - I’ll try that

If you have a question mark your internal battery is dead. It can't find itself.
Leave it on until it does find itself. They work ok with a dead internal battery if you turn it on the same place you turned it off the last time.
It could also be a bad antenna but I say its the internal battery....
And yes I know what I am talking about, I used to sell tons of the 196,296,396 and 496 units...

I still have an old 196 Garmin. Can the internal battery be replaced?

I still have an old 196 Garmin. Can the internal battery be replaced?

Yes... You have to take the unit apart. I still use a 196 also in my J-3. I love that it runs off AA batteries and I like the pointer.
The 296,396 and 496 don't have the pointer arrow. I always have my airport set in and never refesh the map or draw a new line. I just follow the arrow :)

Well shoot. I tried

It’s been a long time since I’ve held one of those. If you can get the unit open there are vendors who sell those kinds of batteries and soldering is pretty easy. If it’s already dead I’d try looking for the hidden screws. You might need to look behind the rear sticker.

I have friends who’ve changed the internal batteries in 296s. I still have a 296 in a junk box somewhere as I never got around to changing my own.

I have friends who’ve changed the internal batteries in 296s. I still have a 296 in a junk box somewhere as I never got around to changing my own.

Seems like a decent piece of work on the 296. Perhaps the 196 is easier. No need at the moment as mine still works correctly (or did last time I used it a few months ago).

Here's how's it's done on the 296:

Yes... You have to take the unit apart. I still use a 196 also in my J-3. I love that it runs off AA batteries and I like the pointer.
The 296,396 and 496 don't have the pointer arrow. I always have my airport set in and never refesh the map or draw a new line. I just follow the arrow :)

Thanks for the reply. I'm not currently having any issue with the one I have but I don't use it often anymore. I used it extensively until I got an iFly GPS.

OK - now that I looked more closely, it is not interfacing with my 430. How does that work? Is the antenna cable going from the 396 to the 430? It looks like the USB/GMX 30/30A connector might go to the 430? Could that be the problem? I don't have the original detachable antenna - is there another way to test the antenna?

Thanks, Eric B

Does anyone know if an Aera 660 will interface with a 430W? Still no luck with the 396, and I think I might want an upgrade anyway.

Does anyone know if an Aera 660 will interface with a 430W? Still no luck with the 396, and I think I might want an upgrade anyway.
Yes. As a matter of fact, the aera 660 is the first portable to understand MapMX (same language as talking to a MX20/GMX200). Previous portables only understood the older language ("Aviation In/Out").

Great - thanks. Do you know if that is a cable that I can install my self?

Great - thanks. Do you know if that is a cable that I can install my self?
It's just 3 or 4 wires: Power, ground, RS232 and possibly a signal ground. If you have to connect it at the GNS430 then you'll probably need to get it signed off. If those are brought out somewhere and you just need to tie in to an existing connector then :dunno:

Back