GPS for vor approach

jssmith.lh

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Goldthwaite flyer
I'll apologize up front. I know I've seen threads on this but can't find any. What is the authorizing document for using GPS for VOR approach to the MAP?

There’s probably some AC which I don’t know, but it’s in the AIM.

From AIM 1-2-3-c:
5. Use of a suitable RNAV system as a means to navigate on the final approach segment of an instrument approach procedure based on a VOR, TACAN or NDB signal, is allowable. The underlying NAVAID must be operational and the NAVAID monitored for final segment course alignment.

Thanks sarangan. I should have read past 1-2-3-c 4. Seemed like that was saying you couldn't.

4. Pilots may not substitute for the NAVAID (for example, a VOR or NDB) providing lateral guidance for the final approach segment. This restriction does not refer to instrument approach procedures with “or GPS” in the title when using GPS or WAAS. These allowances do not apply to procedures that are identified as not authorized (NA) without exception by a NOTAM, as other conditions may still exist and result in a procedure not being available. For example, these allowances do not apply to a procedure associated with an expired or unsatisfactory flight inspection, or is based upon a recently decommissioned NAVAID.

Guess that means you can't substitute but you can use in addition to.

Thanks sarangan. I should have read past 1-2-3-c 4. Seemed like that was saying you couldn't.

4. Pilots may not substitute for the NAVAID (for example, a VOR or NDB) providing lateral guidance for the final approach segment. This restriction does not refer to instrument approach procedures with “or GPS” in the title when using GPS or WAAS. These allowances do not apply to procedures that are identified as not authorized (NA) without exception by a NOTAM, as other conditions may still exist and result in a procedure not being available. For example, these allowances do not apply to a procedure associated with an expired or unsatisfactory flight inspection, or is based upon a recently decommissioned NAVAID.

Guess that means you can't substitute but you can use in addition to.
Correct...technically, the VOR is the primary navigation source.

Back