Got to Fly a Class D 737 Sim Today

johnxreid

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
JR
Got to fly a real 737-200 simulator today. Delta pilots actually trained in these and then went right into a cockpit with passengers. Here's an edited version showing first attempt at takeoff and landing with minimal instruction. My Dad may very well be the first do to donuts on Atlanta International's airfield. So. Much. Fun.

Looks like a lot of fun! Dad even had the video camera going.

Such a dainty little gear lever . . .

Yeah, a real laugh riot - how'd you like to have to play "You bet your job" in one every six months ? Not so fun.

Awesome! Those simulators are like multi million dollar toys.

Yep. Among other things, I (we - the instructor pilot too) learned you can't do an aileron roll in an A320 even with the flight computer disabled. Is that a specific sim limitation? dunno.

We also did several more serious maneuvers. Total blast.

Yeah, a real laugh riot - how'd you like to have to play "You bet your job" in one every six months ? Not so fun.

+1... Some don't get it.

calm-down-and-unwad-ur-panties.png

Yep. Among other things, I (we - the instructor pilot too) learned you can't do an aileron roll in an A320 even with the flight computer disabled. Is that a specific sim limitation? dunno.

We also did several more serious maneuvers. Total blast.

The 747-400 sim will do it. ;)

I highly recommend starting with a very nose high attitude. You're going to lose a lot of altitude. ;)

+1... Some don't get it.

I don't think it is a matter of some not 'getting it'. It is just a different perspective.

It is a vastly different experience having to do it for recurrent where you are being thrown every abnormal condition in the book while someone is watching over your shoulder grading you vs getting to spend some time playing around doing something many have only dreamed of without any consequence of screwing it up.

So looking at that video I'm now convince I could fly and a 737 if the pilots both go Tits up. I would like to have this opportunity to go into a sim without any prior flight experience with a 737 and attempt to land.

image.jpegJust finished annual sim training a couple days ago. Not as fun when you're being evaluated. Plus, a lot of people get horrible motion sickness in the things. 300 hrs of sim time and they don't bother me in the least.

The 747-400 sim will do it. ;)

I highly recommend starting with a very nose high attitude. You're going to lose a lot of altitude. ;)

LOL yeah I started the bus way nose high and it got to maybe 60 or 70 deg of bank and stopped rolling. So we tried alternate law. Nope. Then the IP disabled the - I forget the acronym - flight computer but still it reached only 110 deg of bank and stopped rolling. On the knife edge like that not even top rudder can keep the nose from falling through the horizon.

It was a fun experiment for all of us. Maybe we needed to disable all indications of bank angle too in order to roll it. :shrug:

Back