Got my first look at the new Redhawk 172

ok, but I know the engine mount on my 140 showed problems due to zip ties. YMMV indeed.

Disclaimer: I keep my plane and engine spotless so that might help in the chaffing dept..:yes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ha, I just realized why some of you were confused about the engine! I typed Continental instead of Centurion. Yes, it is the Thielert Centurion 2.0 Liquid Cooled Turbo Diesel, and sorry for the confusion. I will modify my post. :)

Well then, the only thing I've got to say is...

Should have went ahead with the 2.0s STC ;) Flies in Europe, don't think there was ever enough interest to do it here. 155 hp vs 135 hp in 2.0 installation. With a CS and FADEC and by the nature of beign turbo'd, no perceivable performance loss as compared to the stock 180 hp -S. One of my customers had that done to the airplane I sold him - he's been flying it like that for 2.5 yrs and has been very happy with the results. Wants a diesel 182 now.

Last edited:
And Frank Thielert is now in jail for that half baked ponzi scheme..:yes::rolleyes:

Yet the company is running full steam ahead. Which is good, because all those great engineers and employees don't have to lose their jobs, because of their previous moron boss. Yes, the Mercedes Benz corp has always been the base backer, but that engine is a Thielert because it was built by it's employees, not's it's namesake.

Last edited:
Engine weight is a little over 100lbs diff, but with the movement of the battery (not a lighter one, but the same stock battery) moving into the back, along with the Fadec power pack backups, the CG centers again. Plus remember that you're also removing about 20lbs of fuel.

My math says 3lbs of fuel removed

Ok sourpatch, what if I told you that the money you get for your Lycoming would almost pay for the swap. How would that tickle your no-no? Rational? Sure. Take a Mercedes automotive Diesel engine with 4 cylinders that is just as durable as a fancy schmancy plane engine with 6, it has no magnetos/spark plugs and it's mass produced already, carry the 1.. divide by 2 and... wait for it... voila SAVINGS! yaay... savings.. mm.

I guess you could tell me anything you want, it just doesn't make it so is all. This engine is only a small portion off the assembly line Mercedes. It is all manor of custom engineered equipment to make it into an airplane engine and then there is all the custom engineered gear to adapt it to an existing airframe. Lots of R&D + low production volume + FAA certification = very high retail cost. When I talked directly to the engineers at Austro engines at the AOPA Summit (they also use a Mercedes diesel as the basis) they told me their Skyhawk conversion was estimated at $80-85K. My Lycoming isn't going to cover it.

At those costs, adoption by the GA fleet in America isn't going to be very wide spread. The fuel savings just don't come close to covering it. People will get excited about these engines, then price it out, then install the same ol' Lycoming they always have. There is a case to be made in Europe, Asia and Africa, but in the states, it's a tough sell.

I guess you could tell me anything you want, it just doesn't make it so is all. This engine is only a small portion off the assembly line Mercedes. It is all manor of custom engineered equipment to make it into an airplane engine and then there is all the custom engineered gear to adapt it to an existing airframe. Lots of R&D + low production volume + FAA certification = very high retail cost. When I talked directly to the engineers at Austro engines at the AOPA Summit (they also use a Mercedes diesel as the basis) they told me their Skyhawk conversion was estimated at $80-85K. My Lycoming isn't going to cover it.

At those costs, adoption by the GA fleet in America isn't going to be very wide spread. The fuel savings just don't come close to covering it. People will get excited about these engines, then price it out, then install the same ol' Lycoming they always have. There is a case to be made in Europe, Asia and Africa, but in the states, it's a tough sell.

I agree that until the volume picks up that the cost is going to be substaintially more than your run of the mill air cooled gasser aero, there's no way it would be the same as your used unit sold for. The overhaul cost may be similar or possibly cheaper since you could probably buy a brand new unit (read, the engine only) cheaper than an aero reman.

I agree that until the volume picks up that the cost is going to be substaintially more than your run of the mill air cooled gasser aero, there's no way it would be the same as your used unit sold for. The overhaul cost may be similar or possibly cheaper since you could probably buy a brand new unit (read, the engine only) cheaper than an aero reman.

There is NO overhaul of the Aero diesel... It is rated for TBR.... = Time before replacement.... So,, you gotta cough up another almost 100 grand.... :hairraise::eek::yikes:

Last edited:
There is NO overhaul of the Aero diesel... It is rated for TBR.... = Time before replacement.... So,, you gotta cough up another almost 100 grand.... :hairraise::eek::yikes:

That's for the engine though correct? Not the whole apparatus, I can't think that you have to replace every single part in the conversion. I can see the long block needing replacement, but the sheetmetal, accessories, prop gear box (which would already be replaced with a coupon), etc wouldn't have to be replaced.

That's for the engine though correct? Not the whole apparatus, I can't think that you have to replace every single part in the conversion. I can see the long block needing replacement, but the sheetmetal, accessories, prop gear box (which would already be replaced with a coupon), etc wouldn't have to be replaced.

The jury is still out on what the grizzly details will be till motors start reaching the TBR stage.... One thing known though... You will have replaced the gear box a few times before you need a fresh motor.. Hopefully.

172F or newer?

Fs were O-300 continental powered skyhawks. I'd have expected, at a minimum, the 172I or newer with the lycoming engine... or, to match the 28V electrical system, a P or newer. :confused:

28v was available from 78 on so that would be the N model.

There ya go. I learned something new -- I owned a 12V "N" so I painted all of em with that brush :D

So, instead of "F and later", I'd expect 172I or later, or 172N (s/n whenever they went 28V) and later...

There ya go. I learned something new -- I owned a 12V "N" so I painted all of em with that brush :D

So, instead of "F and later", I'd expect 172I or later, or 172N (s/n whenever they went 28V) and later...

Huh... the TAE STC is F and later... curious! :)

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgstc.nsf/0/f91e8e02a1e09bc0862576da004fb3ef/$FILE/SA01303WI.pdf

That'd be a cool mod on an F model.

53x6=318
45x6.7=301.5
So about 16.5 lbs less fuel. :dunno:

100LL is actually 5.82 lb/gal so 53*5.82 = 308.5, about a 7-pound difference.

EDIT: And after further research, Jet-A is 6.76 lb/gal or 304.2 - So make that 4.3.

Last edited:
I think the F began with a longer cowl and a prop extension.

Ha, I just realized why some of you were confused about the engine! I typed Continental instead of Centurion. Yes, it is the Thielert Centurion 2.0 Liquid Cooled Turbo Diesel, and sorry for the confusion. I will modify my post. :)

Typo, or are you really Nostradamus?

AvWeb said:
Continental Buys Thielert Aircraft Engines

Continental Motors announced today that it has bought the bankrupt assets of Thielert Aircraft Engines for an undisclosed sum. The deal has been in the works for several months and overnight makes Continental the volume leader in aircraft diesel manufacture.

Just got this as a breaking news alert, and the article is dated July 23 - Tomorrow in most of the US.

Just got this as a breaking news alert, and the article is dated July 23 - Tomorrow in most of the US.

Conti buys Thielert ... this is a big deal. I kept waiting for someone to point out that when Thielert went out of business, the bankruptcy process in Germany forced the company to completely screw their customers. Work had to be paid in advance, lead times were very long, etc. I'm no expert and certainly don't have first hand experience, but was surprised not to see ANY comments in 4 pages of posts.

Up until the "Thielert got bought" post, I thought this was a wasted thread because no one, after doing their due diligence, would buy a new Thielert. Now, maybe Continental can put together a compelling plan.

AvGas tanks = OWT
Jet-A = I have no idea if it's an issue or not.

Yeah, the humidity and temperature delta would have to be ridiculously huge in order for that to happen. It's usually caused by leaky caps that let rain in. However, in the Comanche with the bladders, it's recommended to keep the mains filled so they don't dry rot.

However, in the Comanche with the bladders, it's recommended to keep the mains filled so they don't dry rot.

As does my 182 and I try to keep the bladders full(ish) for that reason.

Doing the math on condensation:

20 gallons of air left for a month, going through daily cycles of 95*F high with 65% RH and 75*F lows will produce about 1 oz of water in that 30 days.

And that assumes the air in the tanks fluctuating as much as the air temps...which it won't if it's hangared. If it's on a ramp it could very well fluctuate more but that won't change the numbers.

That also assumes a 100% exchange of air in the tank with "fresh 100% RH 95*F air" from the outside everyday. And that ain't gonna happen either.

Typo, or are you really Nostradamus?

You will never know... :) Hehe. It wasn't a typo to begin with, but I changed it because it was confusing everyone. I edited it to say Continental Theilert now, so it will make sense for everyone.

Last edited:
Bought out by Conti? SO much for it being cheaper than a IO-360.

"Oh, yeah. It would have been $35k, but with the Conti name, it's now $75k"

Bought out by Conti? SO much for it being cheaper than a IO-360.

"Oh, yeah. It would have been $35k, but with the Conti name, it's now $75k"

You make an excellent point there. Let's just hope that's not the case.

100LL is actually 5.82 lb/gal so 53*5.82 = 308.5, about a 7-pound difference.

EDIT: And after further research, Jet-A is 6.76 lb/gal or 304.2 - So make that 4.3.

OK, so less fuel means about the same fuel weight, not less weight.:D
I have never used 5.82 lbs per gallon on 100LL, but I'll trust you.:D
I have always used 6.00 for 100LL and 6.7 for Jet-A, now I can carry a little more gas in the 182:yes: and a little less in the Conquest.:no:

I think what we should read here is-

China bought Thielert. Continental is just stuck with dealing with it.

I think what we should read here is-

China bought Thielert. Continental is just stuck with dealing with it.

I am having a hard time reconciling the words China and Mercedes Benz in the same sentence..:confused::rolleyes:

Back