Got a bone to pick with ClearChannel Media...

jfrye01

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jacob Frye
Turned on my radio to a nasty surprise this morning...apparently sometime early this morning, ClearChannel switched classic rock station 107.3 the Brew in Wichita to an alternative station, that now plays mainstream rock and pop...Be aware, this is coming to a city near you...if you have a Brew station in your city, be prepared for it to go on the wayside...Apparently the demographic that listens to classic rock is shrinking...shame...Anyway, thanks for letting me vent...carry on. ;)

Same thing happened here in Atlanta last year. There aren't any 'classic rock' stations anywhere in Atlanta anymore. There is one 'alternative' station that plays a little classic rock every once in a while, but that's it. Everything is top 40 teenie-bopper crap now.

Radio station re-formatting season must be upon us.

I know they do it for demographics, but it rarely works out in my favor. I'll never forget tuning in to one of my favorite stations one morning and being hit with Britney Spears.

Same thing happened here in Atlanta last year. There aren't any 'classic rock' stations anywhere in Atlanta anymore. There is one 'alternative' station that plays a little classic rock every once in a while, but that's it. Everything is top 40 teenie-bopper crap now.

Oh man..that's a bummer...I guess I should count my blessings, we still have one classic rock station. We already had three pop stations and an alternative station, I didn't think we needed another...:/ Oh well, times change I guess...

Radio station re-formatting season must be upon us.

I know they do it for demographics, but it rarely works out in my favor. I'll never forget tuning in to one of my favorite stations one morning and being hit with Britney Spears.

At first you think, "did I tune in the wrong station?!" Then after you confirm that no, you did not, denial sets in...then pleading, then acceptance....;)

At first you think, "did I tune in the wrong station?!" Then after you confirm that no, you did not, denial sets in...then pleading, then acceptance....;)

OK - one at a time:
1) At first you think, "did I tune in the wrong station?!" - yup

2) Then after you confirm that no, you did not, denial sets in... - yup

3) then pleading, - up

4) then acceptance.... - NOPE

--

We used to have one rock station in town that had been THE station for decades (KY102). One day - poof, gone, reformatted to some teen thang. There was such a stink that a couple weeks later, another station *poof* reformatted with the same crew and format of that previous station (99.7KY). They lasted on that station for another couple years but the damage was done and eventually ratings dropped enough they are gone for good.

Is KSHE in St Louis still going strong? I might need to stream it since I have so few options in KC.

You're right, I'm never probably gonna truly accept losing my Brew...I'm gonna miss the Sunday morning Blues brunch (morning block featuring underground blues artists), but what I'm really gonna miss is Bob & Tom in the mornings.... D:

We used to have a station Q102 in DFW probably my favorite staion of all time.
Clear channel came in and did their thing. It went classic, talk, Spanish, country and now it is alternative. If I here Muse 1 more time, I am going to slit my wrists.

You're right, I'm never probably gonna truly accept losing my Brew...I'm gonna miss the Sunday morning Blues brunch (morning block featuring underground blues artists), but what I'm really gonna miss is Bob & Tom in the mornings.... D:
Try to see if you can get Topeka V100. They have Bob & Tom.

Hmmmmm.... looks like it might be time for XM radio. Drive all over the country and never have to search for a radio station that I like.

On the other side, I never had a radio in a ground vehicle until I was 29 years old.

We used to have a station Q102 in DFW probably my favorite staion of all time.
Clear channel came in and did their thing. It went classic, talk, Spanish, country and now it is alternative. If I here Muse 1 more time, I am going to slit my wrists.

They need to go by the old truth "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...

Seen it happen so many times. In CT, there was a rock station owned ClearCrap, 105.9 The Rock. Hugely popular, everyone listened to them. Their small competing station was a non-corporate station, 106.1. Well one morning, everyone in the state turned on 105.9 to hear it was now easy listening "105.9 The River". Boring music and no DJs. Clear Channel fired everyone at 11pm and flipped the switch to something else. Everyone was ****ed.

106.1 immediately came up with a new little saying to break Clear Channel's balls. "106.1 WCCC. We won't sell you up the river."

Clear Channel and other big media corps have taken over radio, it's now a vast wasteland of what "they" think you should hear.

My personal solution is Pandora One, only $35/yr, no commercials, more skips, higher quality streaming. What I like about Pandora is it isn't locked to one receiver like XM, and thus my account is good on the PC, iPhone, iPad, or whatever else I have that can access the net.

You don't consider 97.1 to be classic rock?

SiriusXM has a good solution to your problem.

I didn't notice. They were still playing Bob & Tom when I drove in this morning. I'll be able to tell this afternoon.
Yep, driving into El Dorado for school this morning, B&T was still on..when I got out of class about an hour later, they had already switched...

Turned on my radio to a nasty surprise this morning...apparently sometime early this morning, ClearChannel switched classic rock station 107.3 the Brew in Wichita to an alternative station, that now plays mainstream rock and pop...Be aware, this is coming to a city near you...if you have a Brew station in your city, be prepared for it to go on the wayside...Apparently the demographic that listens to classic rock is shrinking...shame...Anyway, thanks for letting me vent...carry on. ;)

If you can stream your music, find KSHE 95 out of St Louis, you won't be sorry.;)

If you can stream your music, find KSHE 95 out of St Louis, you won't be sorry.;)
Heh - post #7.

I've been a KSHE fan for a looong time. But also haven't listened for a long time, either. Am streaming right now.

edit: Yep - playing Foghat right now!

Last edited:
That happened here in Chicago. They turned the station into talk radio. It lasted about a year and it's back to its old station

We used to have a station Q102 in DFW probably my favorite station of all time.

IIRC they went from classic rock to Spanish in the first switch...I must have looked at the frequency a dozen times thinking 'WTF?' :D

Now I listen to 92.5 for my classic rock fix, they have a decent playlist most of the time.

Classic rock: music that wasn't that good when it was new.

A friend of mine was a classic rock DJ for years, before the Clear Channel revolution wiped out every local station and unemployed all the DJs.

He flew down to the island with his gal, and we did a bit of bar hopping. When Cheap Trick came on the juke box, he grimaced and told me "If I have to hear Cheap Trick one more time in my life... :lol: :lol:

That said, I will take Cheap Trick all day, every day, over most of the new music.

Alternative is not "rock and pop." Good god. THankful for XM (even though they **** me off with some of their channel reassignments).

Clear Channel and other big media corps have taken over radio, it's now a vast wasteland of what "they" think you should hear.

My personal solution is Pandora One, only $35/yr, no commercials, more skips, higher quality streaming. What I like about Pandora is it isn't locked to one receiver like XM, and thus my account is good on the PC, iPhone, iPad, or whatever else I have that can access the net.

What I feel like, listening to the radio with my kids in the car, is that all the stations have gone to this internet model--they are all played remotely and streamed in to the local station for broadcast locally without a local DJ. NO one locally is sitting in a booth or radio station and spinning records (or CDs or MP3s or whatever). Almost satellite radio-like.

There are no radio personalities.

And yes, the stations do seem to change formats all the time. I feel like I'm constantly reprogramming them. But my kids know where they are and what they like. We have several good classic rock stations in Richmond my kids like to listen to. My teens hate the teenie bopper stuff.

Clear what now?

It's so easy not to have to listen to any over the air anything, I'm not sure why this is an issue. My car does not have a modern usb mp3 player... but it does have a CD player capable of playing CD-Rs full of mp3s. I never use the radio. Clear channel can go opera across all channels 24x7 with 55 minutes of commercials and I won't even know.

Switch already. It's the 21st century. :)

That said, I will take Cheap Trick all day, every day, over most of the new music.

Turn on slacker and dial up "Today's Hits" or "Dubstep". Sure, it ain't for everyone, but it is much better than some AC/DC song that doesn't cost the radio station anything to play.

To me, "Classic Rock" is an oxymoron. 50 years later, the guy who sang "Hope I die before I get old" is still singing the same songs, and making millions. That's not was Rock was about.

I was a DJ for a few years in the '70s, on FM in the era when it was still kind of experimental. "Album Rock" is one term that was used for the FM band, where the DJ on shift could explore the lesser-known songs by various groups and really get a mix going. I used to follow Rush's "2112" with Judy Garland's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

People complained when the Top-40 stations started taking over FM. But...that didn't stop it.

Tastes change. No doubt our parents reacted the same way when Elvis and the Beetles replaced Perry Como and Frank Sinatra.

The new emphasis is on cost reduction, hence the playlists sent out from the "central office" and played on hundreds of radio stations with no local live personalities.

Clear Channel and its ilk operate off advertising dollars, and the fewer ears listening, the more likely change will result. If you don't like over the air radio, switch to Pandora, XM/Sirius, or as another poster suggested, start burning some MP3 CDs. My car radio has a 6-CD changer, and gives me well over a thousand songs on the box. Haven't listed to over-the-air radio for years.

As we used to say to irate callers, "If you don't like the music, your radio has two knobs: One changes the channel, and the other turns it off. If one doesn't help, I suggest you try the other."

Ron Wanttaja

A friend of mine was a classic rock DJ for years, before the Clear Channel revolution wiped out every local station and unemployed all the DJs.

He flew down to the island with his gal, and we did a bit of bar hopping. When Cheap Trick came on the juke box, he grimaced and told me "If I have to hear Cheap Trick one more time in my life... :lol: :lol:
After ~5 years of DJ'ing in the '70s, if you play "Stairway to Heaven" in my presence, we're going to have words.....

Ron Wanttaja

That's what happens when radio stations start dying, for the much more impressive Satellite Radio. yay, technology! Now I can listen to whatever I want!

I'm sad to learn of this, but am not surprised. I've been in Wichita for 17 years now and used to love 107.3. They've slowly been killing the station with format tweaks and an increasingly shrinking playlist to the point I haven't listened to it at all, except for the Blues Brunch on Sunday mornings. A real show, with a real (and great) local DJ, that filled an otherwise dead period of broadcast radio. I just checked his facebook page and his show got the ax as well. Now I won't listen to the station, even in passing.

Corporate radio SUCKS. There is no good reason to have dip-excrements in NYC choosing programming in Wichita, KS.

I switched to Pandora a couple of years ago. It's well worth the $36 annual fee.

And..uh, "ethnic music."

I miss 97.1

Back