Got a bone to pick with ClearChannel Media...

And..uh, "ethnic music."

I miss 97.1

That's a better way to put it than I had in mind...

I'll have to look for 97.1. I'm on the south side of ATL and the radio in my drive-to-work car is pretty weak.

Good times in the " Hole" this weekend.....

Our local famous musician will give a FREE concert on Sunday.......

Yeah... Gary Rossington......

Lynard Skyard rocks......:rockon::rockon:.......:yes:

That's a better way to put it than I had in mind...

I'll have to look for 97.1. I'm on the south side of ATL and the radio in my drive-to-work car is pretty weak.

I believe the transmitter is in Gainesville, but you should be able to get it. Kaedy Kiley of 96 Rock fame is the morning person there.

I'm sad to learn of this, but am not surprised. I've been in Wichita for 17 years now and used to love 107.3. They've slowly been killing the station with format tweaks and an increasingly shrinking playlist to the point I haven't listened to it at all, except for the Blues Brunch on Sunday mornings. A real show, with a real (and great) local DJ, that filled an otherwise dead period of broadcast radio. I just checked his facebook page and his show got the ax as well. Now I won't listen to the station, even in passing.

Corporate radio SUCKS. There is no good reason to have dip-excrements in NYC choosing programming in Wichita, KS.

I think I'm gonna miss the Blues Brunch the most, I loved starting my Sundays with Rob Morrison...

First off, you are too young for classis rock. You need to be tuning into Cold Play, or some other fresh shyte. Classic rock is only for people in their 50s and 60s. Sorry, not allowed. :D

Next, as the true rock generation either dies off, or loses it's hearing, or loses control of the tuning knob in the old folks home, the demographics will shift and there's less money out there to keep classic rock on the air.

Finally, as has been mentioned, there's a paradigm shift going on in OTA FM broadcast. The whole market is shrinking. If you've ever seen WKRP in Cincinnati, you know what I mean, just switch the band in the show from AM to FM, and that is that.

SiriusXM is off a satellite, Pandora and other streaming services are off G4 or similar digital bands, and FM is shrinking, shrinking, shrinking. Therefore, the audience is shrinking, and the stations can't afford to hire actual people to spin actual CDs anymore. So - they go the way of Clear Channel, and have pre-formatted offerings, with only some cuts for local ad revenue, which is done by Clear Channel in an office in NJ for all major markets. The local ads are shipped off to NJ, and the various tracks are embedded and then shipped back to the local transmitter shack for sending out over the airwaves.

In some large markets, there's still enough money for the FM station to have a morning show. We are lucky in DFW to have two morning shows on the classic rock stations. I'm pretty sure one of them is going away within the next 2 years, or when Bo retires(soon enough).

As for the poster who thinks classic rock isn't good, and wasn't good from the start, I have news for you. A lot of the music from the mid-60s through the late 70s is going to last much longer than anything that came out since. Sure, there was some crap in there, it's not all grade A, but a lot of it will outlast Cold Play, etc and will be played by your grandkids in HS band for the next 50 years. Get used to it.:yes:

First off, you are too young for classis rock. You need to be tuning into Cold Play, or some other fresh shyte. Classic rock is only for people in their 50s and 60s. Sorry, not allowed. :D

Next, as the true rock generation either dies off, or loses it's hearing, or loses control of the tuning knob in the old folks home, the demographics will shift and there's less money out there to keep classic rock on the air.

Finally, as has been mentioned, there's a paradigm shift going on in OTA FM broadcast. The whole market is shrinking. If you've ever seen WKRP in Cincinnati, you know what I mean, just switch the band in the show from AM to FM, and that is that.

SiriusXM is off a satellite, Pandora and other streaming services are off G4 or similar digital bands, and FM is shrinking, shrinking, shrinking. Therefore, the audience is shrinking, and the stations can't afford to hire actual people to spin actual CDs anymore. So - they go the way of Clear Channel, and have pre-formatted offerings, with only some cuts for local ad revenue, which is done by Clear Channel in an office in NJ for all major markets. The local ads are shipped off to NJ, and the various tracks are embedded and then shipped back to the local transmitter shack for sending out over the airwaves.

In some large markets, there's still enough money for the FM station to have a morning show. We are lucky in DFW to have two morning shows on the classic rock stations. I'm pretty sure one of them is going away within the next 2 years, or when Bo retires(soon enough).

As for the poster who thinks classic rock isn't good, and wasn't good from the start, I have news for you. A lot of the music from the mid-60s through the late 70s is going to last much longer than anything that came out since. Sure, there was some crap in there, it's not all grade A, but a lot of it will outlast Cold Play, etc and will be played by your grandkids in HS band for the next 50 years. Get used to it.:yes:
Classic rock will prevail...no doubt about it!! I can't stand the crap my peers listen to (Justin Bieber, One Direction, Nicki Minaj...) it's all crap!!

Classic rock will prevail...no doubt about it!! I can't stand the crap my peers listen to (Justin Bieber, One Direction, Nicki Minaj...) it's all crap!!

Sadly, you will never hear 'Classic Rock'. What you know as Classic Rock, we who grew up with it knew what you're listening to as 'Top 40'. You can get a taste of Classic Rock on K-SHE, but a lot of real classic rock hasn't been digitized. However, my buddy Mark has the most significant collection of rock on vinyl of any I know. One day I'll give him a USB turntable and computer to digitize it for me. :D

Sadly, you will never hear 'Classic Rock'. What you know as Classic Rock, we who grew up with it knew what you're listening to as 'Top 40'. You can get a taste of Classic Rock on K-SHE,

:yeahthat:

Though KSHE isn't a pimple on the butt of what it used to be either. Most of today's "classic rock" stations pretty much suck. Too narrow of a playlist and you can set your watch by when songs come on. A lot of those songs were good...the first million times I heard them.

That's what happens when radio stations start dying, for the much more impressive Satellite Radio. yay, technology! Now I can listen to whatever I want!

Except that XM is on the way out already too. Pandora and Slacker are far superior. Also, XM "commercialized" their programming when they merged. They are no longer the edgy "play good diverse music" option that they once were. Deep Tracks is a testament to this. They used to really play deep tracks. Now they regularly play stuff that was formerly top 40. By definition, if it was ever top 40 it ain't a freakin' deep track.

People still listen to the radio in their cars? WOW so retro. I thought it was all podcasts, Sirius and mp3 music these days. Radio sucks and has since the big 5 media companies bought all the radio stations in the 1990s.

People still listen to the radio in their cars?

Gotta get your sports fix somehow.

Went to see the movie Guardians of the Galaxy this evening. A whole lot of fun, and a really pretty good soundtrack mix of rock and Motown from the 70s.

What's radio?

Isn't that what I talk to ATC on. I listen to my iTunes in my car. My wife forces me to turn on the radio when she rides with me.

About 5 years ago the firm I worked for shared a floor in a midtown office building with Q104.3 classic rock. Would see Jim Kerr smoking outside the building occasionally. Anyway, one day I eld the elevator for someone coming out of their office, turns out he was their program director. In the course of conversation he asked what I listened to on the radio. I told him sports and talk. He asked me a give them a listen, because I was ... get this ... right in their demographic. :hairraise: Never had an occasion to feel old before that.

Last edited:
Radio station re-formatting season must be upon us.

I know they do it for demographics, but it rarely works out in my favor. I'll never forget tuning in to one of my favorite stations one morning and being hit with Britney Spears.

At least it isn't Bieber.

My bone to pick is that the play list is way too short. I'd love to hear some Billy Squire, or Procol Harem, maybe something by Alan Parsons. There's thousands of artists out there that made great music in the 70s, but the artist list is way too short. Nothing wrong with Heart and PF, and Led Zep but c'mon, the world doesn't revolve around 10 bands.

I knew I was getting old when I heard Pearl Jam playing on the local classic rock station here (KLOS). Like others, I don't really listen to the radio anymore though. Corporate programming killed it for me.

Back