GoPro Shutting Down

I haven't had problems with my GoPros shutting down, but they're hung out in the slipstream getting plenty of cool air....

I've had GoPros shutdown from too much cool air.

The fact the OAT was 15F might have something to do with it....

I've had GoPros shutdown from too much cool air.

The fact the OAT was 15F might have something to do with it....

Yes, I've had that problem also. Though I'm pretty confident that in that case it's the battery, not the electronics. I couldn't get a wing cam to stay powered with anything I tried, but I found that keeping the camera warm, in a pocket with a pocket warmer, kept it warm enough to start recording and then the heat from the power was enough to keep it running as long as it wasn't in the outside air.

For example:

I have had pretty good luck with my Hero 7 Black. It's mounted external and running off of batteries. This likely won't help the OP, but I did have issues with it stopping prematurely. I solved this by purchasing genuine GoPro batteries instead of cheap knock offs. No more issues...

The drift ghost X has a five hour battery life and a battery upgrade for eight hours. The basic ($99) does not have stabilization but it works fine on the tail tie down or crew cam. There is also a stabilized version, Drift ghost XL pro 4K for $249.

Im done with GoPro, and the other knockoffs.

I've never allowed a camera of any stripe to function in any aircraft piloted by yours truly. My thinking has always been the less evidence made the less there is to burn.
Perhaps you should apply this logic to posting on the forum.

It's been unreliable enough that even if it works I'm going to use my external recorder which I have owned since long before the GoPro existed and has never failed. I'm probably going to try it but only as a backup.

What recorder are you using?

Have you tried getting in touch with NFlight Support? They really know their stuff.

The drift ghost X has a five hour battery life and a battery upgrade for eight hours. The basic ($99) does not have stabilization but it works fine on the tail tie down or crew cam. There is also a stabilized version, Drift ghost XL pro 4K for $249.

Im done with GoPro, and the other knockoffs.
I have a Drift Ghost X as well. My first Apeman knock off would run for almost 3 hours which was great for the tiedown (it's the one from my Vancouver mountain video) When it finally quit working the only thing that would meet the bill was the Ghost. Seems to work well.

Some success today. Couple of things I did different. Some of which I tied unsuccessfully before, so maybe the combination. Best of all, the airplane is a DA40 which block exactly zero of the sun in most of the bubble cockpit. Over two hours. Ground temperature in the mid 90s. Sunny day. No shut down and still touchable at the ten.
  1. I placed the camera on a side window instead of out the front (that's where I am going to want it and I can always use the more reliable knockoff for a front panel view).
  2. I picked up one of those aluminum housings that theoretically can work as a heat sink. It's something I tried before without success, so it's probably one of the "in combination" things. But at the end of the flight, the aluminum was substantially hotter than the camera body.
    upload_2022-7-6_14-55-31.png
  3. Taking off from @Martin Pauly's suggestion of a shade, I used something @wayneda40 recommended for the DA 40 cockpit anyway, one of those slap-on shade. It's a green polymer. I stuck it on the camera window about the camera. May it was just enough to turn the tide in the camera's favor.
    upload_2022-7-6_15-1-17.png

I still don't trust it enough so I'll still use my audio recorder and knockoffs too.

I use 2 GoPros to record my flights, a Gopro Hero7 with a DigiPower battery thingy that provides around 6 hours of battery life attach to the wing tie down and a GoPro Hero3 hung from the roof it gives around 2.5 hours. I record the audio with an old cellphone (Samsung Galaxy 3) and a wire adapter between the co-pilot headphones and the phone.

No problems at all. If the camera is mounted in a place with excecssive vibration it might contribute to your shutting down problem.

My only problem is that sometimes I forgot to turn on the camera.

Good luck with your recordings.

I started with GoPro4's. The battery life sucks and they overheat. I now use GP9's and get way more battery life and the image stabilization is pretty awesome. When I park the airplane, I always take the camera off the windshield and put it under the seat or in the back seat in the shade. I have not had any problems with the tail shot gp9 hanging from the tail tiedown hook. Check out my "Wolf Pilot" youtube channel

Too bad about the Virb, it's a great little camera. There was something strange about why Garmin just tanked it suddenly. I use one in the plane but it has never been able to record Bluetooth audio. After going several rounds with tech support I reverted to using the audio cable. If anyone knows any solution to getting the Bluetooth going it would be greatly appreciated.

I have one ,not crazy about it. Really don’t use it much.

Sigh. The results, such as they are.
  • The HERO 4 with its aluminum case and the Sunguard and mounted in the left rear window (away from the sun) worked like a champ. Thanks for all the suggestions.
  • The 3 mounted on the right front window shut down in the standard 17 minutes.
  • The knockoff mounted on the right rear window worked throughout the flight but the lens decided to choose that day to go crazy. Time to trash.
  • Some idiot left the Ghost which was supposed to go on the right tiedown in the trunk of his car :mad2::mad2::mad2:
So I have a lovely view of the Jersey side of the Hudson :( OTOH, I have a bucket list item crossed off :)

I started with GoPro4's. The battery life sucks and they overheat. I now use GP9's and get way more battery life and the image stabilization is pretty awesome. When I park the airplane, I always take the camera off the windshield and put it under the seat or in the back seat in the shade. I have not had any problems with the tail shot gp9 hanging from the tail tiedown hook. Check out my "Wolf Pilot" youtube channel
Yeah. I don't care about battery life with the cameras inside the airplane and don't worry about the ones on a tiedown overheating.

Timely thread for me. Was thinking about getting just one camera to record flights with audio. Was looking at GoPros, but they are too expensive for my first foray into this. Was thinking about a cheap, Chinese knockoff that doesn't have any audio. Then getting an even cheaper digital recorder to patch into the headset jack with a splitter. The only thing that I guess will be a challenge is trying to stitch together then audio and video.... Once I figure that out I think I can get it to work.

WOW! New PC - CODEC issue! I have the Apeman video as well!

Timely thread for me. Was thinking about getting just one camera to record flights with audio. Was looking at GoPros, but they are too expensive for my first foray into this. Was thinking about a cheap, Chinese knockoff that doesn't have any audio. Then getting an even cheaper digital recorder to patch into the headset jack with a splitter. The only thing that I guess will be a challenge is trying to stitch together then audio and video.... Once I figure that out I think I can get it to work.
Two issues. A cheap splitter works fine but only if you audio recorder has audio-in capability. Not all do. I found this out in discussions where people kept saying yo needed something special and I was using a cheap audio splitter. My stand-alone recorder prompts whether an input is audio or a mic.

The other issue is syncing. Getting a sync point isn't that difficult. Even without a "clap" there is usually some sound you can use. The bigger issue is that your camera and recorder might have different audio bitrates. You sync up at some point and then they unsync. That can be overcome as well by matching the audio bitrate to the video. Not difficult but you have to know how.

@midlifeflyer Thanks!!

Yeah, honestly I would rather get a camera that had a simple 3.5mm audio-in jack... or even a usb-c input that I could get a 3.5mm audio adapter for. But, unfortunately, these don't seem to exist. I was looking at the AKASO ones, but none of them seem to have audio in. Some have an external mic, but the jack looks like it is proprietary (of course). Anybody know of a cheap(ish) camera with an audio input that would be fairly easy to tap into the panel?

the clap. you need to get the clap.

@midlifeflyer Thanks!!

Yeah, honestly I would rather get a camera that had a simple 3.5mm audio-in jack... or even a usb-c input that I could get a 3.5mm audio adapter for. But, unfortunately, these don't seem to exist. I was looking at the AKASO ones, but none of them seem to have audio in. Some have an external mic, but the jack looks like it is proprietary (of course). Anybody know of a cheap(ish) camera with an audio input that would be fairly easy to tap into the panel?
Have you checked these out? I use one of them to record from my Hero7 and it uses the back passenger jack to get all the audio from the audio panel. It also has a way for me to run a battery brick through it and give juice to the Hero7 so I don't have to rely on the crappy GoPro batteries.

https://www.nflightcam.com/collections/cables

@midlifeflyer Thanks!!

They don't. Unless you go external, your best bet is to get the proprietary* mic and sticking it into the earcup of your headset. When I heard about doing that my first reaction was "oh sure!" but I tried it recently. It actually does a decent job.

(*I have a feeling they are the same "proprietary" mic for 80-90% of them. If you look closely, most of the best rated ones are identical in almost every respect. It's probably also why you won't find one with audio in. If one had it, they'd all have it.)

I use a Garmin Virb, they come with a cable that you can plug into the intercom jack. They have been discontinued by Garmin but they can be found used at good prices. I bought mine off a pilot here and the only issue I have had is getting the Bluetooth audio to work but as I said, they come with an audio cable that works well. They are pretty close to a gopro in size and the menus are virtually identical. They use all the gopro accessories as well.

Have you checked these out? I use one of them to record from my Hero7 and it uses the back passenger jack to get all the audio from the audio panel. It also has a way for me to run a battery brick through it and give juice to the Hero7 so I don't have to rely on the crappy GoPro batteries.

https://www.nflightcam.com/collections/cables
I do too with the Hero 4 but it doesn't work with the Chinese knockoffs he's talking about.

The end result. Although ATC communications are there this was more about flying "home." Targeted more toward friends and family than pilots. I may end up doing a second version which includes the FRG departure and communications and less point outs to places like my high school :D.

Back