Google Wants All of Class G for Its Drones

LauraE51

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Laura
http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/02/google-project-wing-2017/
"G
oogle's David Vos told the audience at an air traffic control covention that his company would want low-altitude space (14,500 feet and below), coincidentally dubbed "Class G," reserved for UAVs to fly over cities. Rather than continuously doing the hokey pokey to get past the FAA, this is a crucial step to getting more commercial drones in the air. Whether or not that's a good thing is entirely up to you."

Instead of flying at or below 400ft AGL, Google wants most of Class G. This is a little scary.

Guess they don't plan on flying those things to any of the major population centers out west. Class G is becoming non-existent.

Sounds like it's going to be a target rich environment.:D

Cheers

Do they want class G all to themselves or more class G? I'm OK with the second one.

There is no Class G near any city big enough to qualify for Class B, or any Class C or D city with the airport close enough that the protected airspace covers the city. Seems that would rule out most of the places they would have an interest in flying.

Not to worry. If G doesn't get what it wants, it will simply use it's data mining to influence the next election and ensure that the winners are candidates that support it's position.

(Partially facetious, but with the hint of truth. Politco estimated that G could sufficiently influence election results in up to 25% of elections to ensure "wins" by desirable candidates by using it's data mining & skewing of search data).

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/08/how-google-could-rig-the-2016-election-121548

"G
oogle's David Vos told the audience at an air traffic control covention that his company would want low-altitude space (14,500 feet and below), coincidentally dubbed "Class G," reserved for UAVs to fly over cities. Rather than continuously doing the hokey pokey to get past the FAA, this is a crucial step to getting more commercial drones in the air. Whether or not that's a good thing is entirely up to you."

Instead of flying at or below 400ft AGL, Google wants most of Class G. This is a little scary.

Is there an actual quote from Vos somewhere? The above paraphrase is vague and probably not made by someone with an understanding of US airspace.

"G

Scarier is that they're asking to fly thousands of drones and don't even understand the NAS. They want to fly drones below 1000' and away from airports / B / C / D surface areas? I'm good with that. They want to fly thousands of unmanned drones up to 14,500 ft, we have a problem.

I bet Vos said "low altitude" and "class G" and the reporter looked up on of the airspace charts that show Class G going up to 14,500 msl. Ergo, low altitude airspace=Class G=below 14,500.

Has Google said what all fantastic commercial drones are going to do and in what way they will better humanity? It better not just be that Amazon bull crap. Stupidest idea ever.

Many years ago (in the 80s IIRC) a study was done to see what influence TV had on elections and the best estimate was that 20% of election results could be credited to the big and little screens. No doubt Google could easily influence an election. Young minds are impressionable and even now, kids grow up understanding that May Day warrants a Doodle and Independence Day does not.

Not to worry. If G doesn't get what it wants, it will simply use it's data mining to influence the next election and ensure that the winners are candidates that support it's position.

(Partially facetious, but with the hint of truth. Politco estimated that G could sufficiently influence election results in up to 25% of elections to ensure "wins" by desirable candidates by using it's data mining & skewing of search data).

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/08/how-google-could-rig-the-2016-election-121548

Many years ago (in the 80s IIRC) a study was done to see what influence TV had on elections and the best estimate was that 20% of election results could be credited to the big and little screens. No doubt Google could easily influence an election. Young minds are impressionable and even now, kids grow up understanding that May Day warrants a Doodle and Independence Day does not.

Who goes to the google home page any more?

This version of the story from Reuters is probably more accurate.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015...bet-idUSKCN0SR20520151103#jOfGUTd0IH9762om.97

Vos said a drone registry, which the Obama administration hopes to set in place by Dec. 20, would be a first step toward a system that could use wireless telecommunications and Internet technology including cellphone applications to identify drones and keep UAV clear of other aircraft and controlled airspace.

He said Google would like to see low altitude "Class G" airspace carved out for drones, saying it would keep UAV away from most manned aircraft aside from low-flying helicopters, while enabling drones to fly over highly populated areas.

Read more at Reuters http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/03/us-usa-drones-alphabet-idUSKCN0SR20520151103

And more detail here:
http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ing-drones-us-airspace-nasa-deal-private-land

Last edited:
"G

The word "reserved" has a connotation of exclusivity. It'll be interesting to see if they manage to kick GA out.

Google = SkyNet :yes:

You may not be as funny as you think you're being. The military is working hard on gaining autonomous combatant machines. We can't fight a war of attrition with either China or Islam and win, they just have too large of a force base, one in sheer volume of numbers, the other in commitment to cause. Google may get their way to speed the development of the technology by using private sector resources, especially ones doing it on their own huge dime.

The big advance Google will bring is in the recognition software.

Who goes to the google home page any more?

Homepage? Google places the majority of the ads on the Internet. Websites lease the ad spots and Google fills them in. Google is probably the most voluminous advertiser on the planet.

Has Google said what all fantastic commercial drones are going to do and in what way they will better humanity? It better not just be that Amazon bull crap. Stupidest idea ever.

world domination. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm not worried about Google drones. Google knows everything about me so their drones will know where I am and avoid me. ;)

I have a number printed on the side of the airplane I fly around and put pictures of on the internet that can lead anyone who knows how to my real name and address.

You can get a satellite picture of my house, with a little money you can get my whole credit history, all the cars I've driven, where I've lived, etc. The government knows who I call, they have been tapping my internet usage, and they generally ignore a whole long list of my constitutional rights.

Given all that, I don't give 2 craps that google is using my search history to target advertising at me. Worth it for the free service.

I have a number printed on the side of the airplane I fly around and put pictures of on the internet that can lead anyone who knows how to my real name and address.

You can get a satellite picture of my house, with a little money you can get my whole credit history, all the cars I've driven, where I've lived, etc. The government knows who I call, they have been tapping my internet usage, and they generally ignore a whole long list of my constitutional rights.

Given all that, I don't give 2 craps that google is using my search history to target advertising at me. Worth it for the free service.

The aviation angle is are we going to get class G corridors over congested areas and if so can us peasants use them? First step towards having a backed up traffic lane in the sky as depicted in the Jetsons and other cartoons...:yikes:

I do not support the use of drones within 200 miles of me at any time. Other than that, they are free to carry on as they like.

It's not the section 333 exempt commercial operators you have to worry about - they are following the rules and being responsible. It's the bozos taking their DJI Phantom quadcopter up to shoot photos that are crashing and going where they shouldn't be. The potential benefit of UAV technology for surveying, agriculture, mining and utility inspections is massive and is primarily something that happens in low population areas anyway. Be afraid of the uneducated and irresponsible, not Google and Amazon.

The eggheads at Google obviously have no clue how the real down and dirty world works.

I can vividly see the homies in the fourth ward saying "there's my **** from Amazon and that's my drone too cuz!"

"if I'm not doing anything wrong, what do I have to worry about?"

You consider it worth it.

But I trust you don't think you get to decide whether it is worth it to other people.

It's not the section 333 exempt commercial operators you have to worry about - they are following the rules and being responsible. It's the bozos taking their DJI Phantom quadcopter up to shoot photos that are crashing and going where they shouldn't be. The potential benefit of UAV technology for surveying, agriculture, mining and utility inspections is massive and is primarily something that happens in low population areas anyway. Be afraid of the uneducated and irresponsible, not Google and Amazon.

This isn't so much about the dangers of drones in the NAS, it's about the potential loss of airspace that we now currently can use. How about this? The Google drones just file IFR with ATC like the rest of us? I really don't want to see a growing number of "drone corridors" and no fly zones on the VFR sectional just so that Google and Amazon can make more money.

You think people hate airplane noise now? Wait till they get a load of huge buzzing quad copters at 500'!!

Google likely has collected far more information on you than you realize. It's interesting that many of the same folks who are so concerned with a "right to privacy" have no problem voluntarily surrendering their privacy in return for free stuff. In the case of Google, if you think you're just selectively surrendering certain information, you're probably underestimating.

Even if you naively believe that Google itself presents no threat, the fact that they collect and retain so much unique information on so many people gives them an incredible amount of power, and presents a significant risk should that data fall into the "wrong" hands.

JKG

Even if you naively believe that Google itself presents no threat, the fact that they collect and retain so much unique information on so many people gives them an incredible amount of power, and presents a significant risk should that data fall into the "wrong" hands.

JKG

Seeing how the Chinese Government has my entire life history as a result the OPM breach and others have info from several credit breaches of the State of South Carolina, Target et al, what Google knows about me is of zero concern.:rolleyes2:

Cheers

Every time I read the thread title I think: All your base belong to us

The privacy cat is out of the bag, these technologies won't be leaving us any time soon and we'll probably lose even more privacy as analytics start to predict our behavior better than we can. The important thing going forward is what we allow powerful entities, especially government but also credit reporting agencies/employers/etc to do with it.

As to the drone thing, I imagine self-driving delivery trucks will be viable before the FAA gets around to allowing drones into G airspace.

Maybe they think Class G was installed for them ie G-oogle airspace...

It is inevitable... Resistance is Futile!

I use DuckDuckGo.com for searches, Adblock with Firefox, and I wear a tin foil hat, I've beaten the system.

I use DuckDuckGo.com for searches, Adblock with Firefox, and I wear a tin foil hat, I've beaten the system.

I don't know if it has been implemented for sure, but researchers figured out how to get around those kinds of measures a couple years ago just so you know.

I actually had a neat idea for an application to strengthen privacy last night... I might have to turn it into actual viable code. Totally different tack from what everyone else has been doing...

Back