Good World Series

I'm an American League guy. ( make the pitcher hit---no way) I rooted for the Cubs this year.

I'm an AL guy, too. However, I wish they'd do away with the DH thing for pitchers. No one grows up playing the game with a DH for the pitcher all the time, so they all learn how to bat through the minors. I get that it's tradition and such, but it just never made much sense for me.

I'm an AL guy, too. However, I wish they'd do away with the DH thing for pitchers. No one grows up playing the game with a DH for the pitcher all the time, so they all learn how to bat through the minors. I get that it's tradition and such, but it just never made much sense for me.
Actually more often than not in the minors they are using a DH. I suspect they want the pitchers to focus on pitching. I agree though, I don't like the DH...it makes the manager's job too easy. I've always been a NL fan and to me, the DH in the AL just adds to the culture of coddling the pitchers. Funny how pitchers were the best batters on the team up until the minors, when they leave their bats at home and focus on their throwing arm.

Actually more often than not in the minors they are using a DH. I suspect they want the pitchers to focus on pitching. I agree though, I don't like the DH...it makes the manager's job too easy. I've always been a NL fan and to me, the DH in the AL just adds to the culture of coddling the pitchers. Funny how pitchers were the best batters on the team up until the minors, when they leave their bats at home and focus on their throwing arm.
Typically on any high school team the pitchers and short stops are the best athletes, best hitters, best fielders, QB on the football team etc.

Typically on any high school team the pitchers and short stops are the best athletes, best hitters, best fielders, QB on the football team etc.

Well sure. SS is generally the most athletic guy on the field due to usually covering a large area of the field and a large portion of the defensive action. Outfielders, especially CF are the guys with the "wheels" and are better suited for being a receiver/db in football. I don't know that I've ever noticed the pitchers being the best hitters in HS, but they're usually serviceable if nothing else. Catchers always tend to be good batters, but it's likely just due to seeing the ball being pitched from a similar viewpoint as a batter.

ReturnOfTheFlyingPigsCROPPED_1.jpg

monkeys.jpg

I'm an American League guy. ( make the pitcher hit---no way) I rooted for the Cubs this year.
I'm an American League guy and DETESTED the change and still do. Keeping a few old guys who can't run/field anymore on the payroll like David Ortiz because he can still swing a bat doesn't make up for the lack of the excitement the tactics of having to whether to pull the pitcher coming up to tbat.

Unless you have sat in Wrigley Field and watched a Cub game, you have no earthly idea how this feels to the greatest fan base in sports. I'm in my 7th decade and it feels OH SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only have I sat there, I've had my name lit up on the scoreboard during the 7th inning stretch!

Not only have I sat there, I've had my name lit up on the scoreboard during the 7th inning stretch!

No way can you let that go without a full explanation. Details.

Last time I sat in Wrigley was in the 80's. Was living in FL at the time, kids grandparents were still in Illinois. Flew up with the kids and took them to a Cubs game on 4th of July weekend. We froze our butts off! But that's just Chicago weather. I know, I grew up there. Long, long, long time suffering Cubs fan. Glad I got to see it in my lifetime. Vegas has them 3/1 for next year! Bulls are looking good. Could we possibly see a Chicago MLB/NBA championship? I'm not afraid of Mr. James.

World series of what? Synchronized swimming..??

World Series you say? My money is on New Zealand. Or maybe Fiji.

Hopefully it's not one of these silly ones that they call a world "something" but then there are only like 10 countries competing...

Unless you have sat in Wrigley Field and watched a Cub game, you have no earthly idea how this feels to the greatest fan base in sports.

And unless you've seen a game at Wrigley, you also quite likely have never had a 60 year-old woman pass you a joint in the left field bleachers either! (8/2/1978, Cardinals vs. Cubs)

What a party it was back then.

Someone made a Facebook comment:

>>>
How to win the World Series.
Step 1: Don't win for a long time
Step 2: Sign Ben Zobrist
Step 3: Have him play every position (because he can)
Step 4: Rings
<<<

This formula has worked 2 years in a row.

I decided to make some modifications to this, cutting it down to 3 steps:

How to win the World Series.
Step 1: Don't win for a long, loooong, time
Step 2: Hire Theo Epstein
Step 3: Rings

This formula has worked 3 times, for 2 teams.

Watched their parade today on WGN. If you were on Michigan Ave. you needed earplugs. If you were northbound on the Outer Drive, yes traffic was stopping to wave to the 47 buses going southbound. If you were one of the 100,000 in Grant Park, hope you brought binoculars. Police estimate 5 million turned out along the parade route. Was good to see Billy Williams again. Boy, its been a long time. Realized today that Wrigley Field isn't big enough!!!

Question of the day was: "how many years has it been since the Cubs won a World Series?" Answer, of course, ZERO.

Watched their parade today on WGN. If you were on Michigan Ave. you needed earplugs. If you were northbound on the Outer Drive, yes traffic was stopping to wave to the 47 buses going southbound. If you were one of the 100,000 in Grant Park, hope you brought binoculars. Police estimate 5 million turned out along the parade route. Was good to see Billy Williams again. Boy, its been a long time. Realized today that Wrigley Field isn't big enough!!!

Question of the day was: "how many years has it been since the Cubs won a World Series?" Answer, of course, ZERO.

So you're saying every road in Chicago was jammed -- and this is no different from any other day of the week? ;)

Know what you mean. Drove in that traffic for years. But with the 5m people attending the parade and rally, got to believe a lot of other roads were, shall we say, moving along quite nicely. Have no earthly idea where the folks lining Michigan Ave. parked but downtown must have been a nightmare when the parade finished.
Watching the Bulls game tonight and many fans are in their "Cubbie blue." They even played "Go Cubs Go."

One school, don't know the name, told their students yesterday they would have an excused absence with a selfie from the festivities. Gotta believe that principal is a Cub fan. Lots of kids there. With 5m folks, must have been a mass epidemic of "blue flu" going around.

Back