Good news & bad news

How does this look? more betta?

Much mo'bettah. I like the individual shrinks and then the overall shrink on the cable. You don't WANT to tin the wire before you solder it. The wire will break at the point where the tinning stops and the individual strands start. That double-shrink will go a long way to keeping that from happening. I'd probably give you a 92 to 95 in my advanced class.

Jim

wire03.jpg
I'd buy that! ;)

Last edited:
When I went through my training, that's what the inspector was looking for.
That is much easier to do when the pins are not installed. but notice how the insolation on the wire has been over heated.

That is much easier to do when the pins are not installed. but notice how the insolation on the wire has been over heated.
Notice how you covered the insulation with heat shrink, take a closer look at your insulation, it was a non issue for yours. The cannon plugs I worked with also got potting compound and back shells, the wires weren't weakened tinning, which the Air Force taught to do.

Last edited:
Yeah, I didn't get a chance to solder when the pins were out. Having to work from a particular direction so it would be possible to access every connection, with no room, and satisfy an inspector with a magnifying glass... I'm glad I didn't have to do that for a living.

2-set-New-Military-50-Pin-Male-Female-Circular-Twist-Lock-Flange-Connector-F50P.jpg

Yeah, I didn't get a chance to solder when the pins were out. Having to work from a particular direction so it would be possible to access every connection, with no room, and satisfy an inspector with a magnifying glass... I'm glad I didn't have to do that for a living.

2-set-New-Military-50-Pin-Male-Female-Circular-Twist-Lock-Flange-Connector-F50P.jpg
When I worked the TC-4C as a contractor I did many of those cannon plugs, when we removed the rear consoles and re-wired the harness to incorporate the new systems. it isn't that difficult.

the TC-4C

Attachments

• TC-4C.jpg
    TC-4C.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 23
  • TC-4Cjpg.jpg
    TC-4Cjpg.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 20
Grades are an opinion :)

Yes, and opinions are just like a$$#0les. Everybody has one and most of them stink.

By the way, just between you and I, grading on the curve is for amateurs. You either meet my standards for a grade or you do not. Everybody can get and A. Everybody can get an F. Everybody can get anything in between and I tell you right up front, the first day of class, exactly what my standards are for each grade. You meet them or you don't. I don't give bad grades. You can EARN a bad grade, but I don't give anything.

Jim

You folks think the EFIS connection was bad, this is what I found on the Auto pilot connector when I pulled it today.

Attachments

• 20160613_143641.jpg
    20160613_143641.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20160613_143656.jpg
    20160613_143656.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20160613_143708.jpg
    20160613_143708.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 20160613_143723.jpg
    20160613_143723.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 43
I wish I had pictures, but there was a guy I worked with who was connecting some cables. They had those big mega-pin Bendix connectors. Took him most of the afternoon but he somehow managed to jam 2 MALE connectors together, on two different cables. Once it was pointed out, he did admit it was tougher than he thought it should have been.

You folks think the EFIS connection was bad, this is what I found on the Auto pilot connector when I pulled it today.

that looks like it burned, you sure that airframe wasn't in a fire?!

that looks like it burned, you sure that airframe wasn't in a fire?!
If it had been all the pins would be messed up. this was done while soldering the wires in. little too hot push a little too hard.

Even with all the heat, the wire wasn't attached. I unsoldered the rest of the wires.

I think I would open every connection in that plane.
I'm getting there
I am trying to figure out what is good and what isn't, then I can plan a new panel. tonight I had the auto pilot working on a make shift harness and it worked. check one more thing off the list.

Back