Going for Sport Cert - but train in a 150?

Everything I've read or been told defines night for our purposes as one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise.

Is this incorrect?
The one I quoted from FAR 1.1 is the regulatory definition of the word "night." It is what "night" means when it is used in every other regulation, unless something in the words of the regulation changes it.

One hour after to one hour before is one of those exceptions and it only applies to the single regulation in which it is used - night passenger currency in 61.57.

This has always been a head scratcher for me. If currency requires X number of TAL's with passengers and you lose currency how do you regain that currency without passengers onboard?

Check ride with CFI?
Reading what the regulation actually says is a lot more effective than scratching your head over what you think it says. For example, 61.57 does not contain the words in red. .

Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft carrying passengers during the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise, unless within the preceding 90 days that person has made at least three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop with passengers aboard during the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise

Y’know, your difficulties with rental LSAs would vanish if you just bought your own.

What are the general opinions on buying something like this to learn in? It doesn't look like I can tune to VORs in it. And if I'm in the SFRA is there any special hardware I need? I don't know the differences between transponders and haven't taken the SFRA training yet.
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=PULSAR&model=I&listing_id=2406267&s-type=aircraft

Fairly hot little plane for training. I'd pass on it because of the two stroke engine. Not saying that a Rotax engine isn't any good but 2 strokes in general tend to be finicky. Pretty small in there too. BTW ... make sure if you're buying a plane like this to learn in that your instructor is willing to train in an experimental aircraft.

First of all, that plane isn’t an LSA.

Regarding VORs, the planes I trained in did not have VOR receivers, nor does the Beech I own. For VFR flight, not a big deal. You’ll use GPS anyway. Furthermore, VORs are being gradually being eliminated, especially those servicing low altitudes.

But if you really want a VOR receiver, you can buy handheld radios that, in addition to providing communications, can receive a VOR and display a CDI. https://www.gulfcoastavionics.com/c...s-handheld-transciever?variant=39418579157169 You will probably want a handheld as a backup radio anyway.

Can’t tell you anything about the SFRA.

Is it not? Under Additional Classifications it says Light Sport. What do I need to look for?
From the specs listed with the ad "75% Cruise: 150 mph | 130 kts" That makes it likely too fast. But that is a general number. One would need more details about this particular aircraft to determine if it meets the actual definition or not.

Definition of "Light Sport Aircraft" here. Big things are max weight (1320 pounds), two seats max, fixed gear, fixed or ground adjustable prop, and "A maximum airspeed in level flight with maximum continuous power (VH) of not more than 120 knots CAS under standard atmospheric conditions at sea level". One problem is that VH may or may not be listed in the aircraft data...
Also, be aware that the US, Canada, and Europe all have different definitions for light sport/ ultralight aircraft.

For the SFRA and surrounding area you are going to need a transponder, ADSB-out, and a com radio as the absolute bare bones minimum.

Is it not? Under Additional Classifications it says Light Sport. What do I need to look for?

Well, it meets the weight, but Pulsars cruise at 160 knots. LSAs have a max cruise of 120. Unless this one is somehow unique.

It’s a 1990, so it was built before light sport began. I would want to see the registration for it. It needs to be licensed as an E-LSA, which didn’t exist when the plane was built.

Maybe it’s LSA-eligible, but I’d check carefully.

From the specs listed with the ad "75% Cruise: 150 mph | 130 kts" That makes it too fast. But that is a general number. One would need more details about this particular aircraft to determine if it meets the actual definition or not.

Definition of "Light Sport Aircraft" here. Big things are max weight (1320 pounds), two seats max, fixed gear, fixed or ground adjustable prop, and "A maximum airspeed in level flight with maximum continuous power (VH) of not more than 120 knots CAS under standard atmospheric conditions at sea level". One problem is that VH may or may not be listed in the aircraft data...
Also, be aware that the US, Canada, and Europe all have different definitions for light sport/ ultralight aircraft.

For the SFRA and surrounding area you are going to need a transponder, ADSB-out, and a com radio as the absolute bare bones minimum.

Delete ... I saw the correction.

Maybe it’s LSA-eligible, but I’d check carefully.
Oh, man. Not cut-and-dry? o_O
Presumably if I was serious about a purchase, I'd find a local inspector to take a look at it? And he'd be able to determine eligibility? Would they laugh at me due to the price?

I know I'm steering this thread away from its original question...

I'm going to speak to the local flying club and see what planes they're willing to train me in. They do have a Vans RV-12 but it's for members only.

Presumably if I was serious about a purchase, I'd find a local inspector to take a look at it? And he'd be able to determine eligibility?
You probably want an A&P to look at anything as a "pre-buy" inspection, but the chances that an A&P knows the criteria for an LSA is somewhere between slim and none.
If the aircraft has an S-LSA or E-LSA certificate, that's easy. Many other aircraft are reasonably obvious - you managed to find an edge case with your link above. You could ask the seller why he/she/it considers it an LSA and look at whatever documentation is available to see how it compares with the criteria. It is possible to cruise faster than the 120 knot limit if you are at altitude and still meet the 120 limit at sea level.

Reading what the regulation actually says is a lot more effective than scratching your head over what you think it says. For example, 61.57 does not contain the words in red. .

Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft carrying passengers during the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise, unless within the preceding 90 days that person has made at least three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop with passengers aboard during the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise
Ah, I get it now. I don't speak gov't well, that's why I ask questions.

I’d rent until I got my license squared away / taken the checkride. Then if you want to own you can look at buying someone’s home built like an RV 12.

Ah, I get it now. I don't speak gov't well, that's why I ask questions.
Beware of these debilitating conditions :D

Regaphobia and Regulitis - related but different

Regaphobia. A self-fulfilling, irrational fear of reading regulations based on a belief they are incomprehensible. The sufferer simply avoids even trying.

Regulitis. Psychological conditon which causes people of average or better intelligence to lose basic reading comprehension skills when looking at regulations. It is sometimes associated with the FAA-Anon movement whose followers believe all FARs have hidden meanings.

Fortunately, Regulitis is a psychological condition as opposed to the more serious Reglexia, which is a neurological condition.​

Does a 150 fly significantly differently than the average LSA? Their wing loadings and power to weight ratio are similar.
In my opinion, yes. 150s are trucks compared to a lot of the LSAs out there (Flight Design, Remos). It's much more stable and easier to drive where you want than the others.

Back