Going for a Private Pilot License

axlegang21

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
axlegang21
Finally after a few months of saving I have enough to get started on the PPL. So I'm at the point of interviewing different local flight schools and they're all saying that I should be able to get it within five hours of the required minimums. This sounds great to me but after talking to a few actual pilots they are saying those numbers are quite low compared to the actually average of students. Looking for feedback in comparison of the number of hours it took to obtain your PPL. Thanks

Finally after a few months of saving I have enough to get started on the PPL. So I'm at the point of interviewing different local flight schools and they're all saying that I should be able to get it within five hours of the required minimums. This sounds great to me but after talking to a few actual pilots they are saying those numbers are quite low compared to the actually average of students. Looking for feedback in comparison of the number of hours it took to obtain your PPL. Thanks

Just curious on how they can make that assumption without even seeing you fly yet!? Lot of factors come into play. Just saying...

A/c mech that is exactly what I'm saying. How accurate can this estimate actually be.

I believe the industry average is 60+ hrs. No way they can make a blanket statement like that and be consistently accurate. How often you practice, weather, how quickly things click for you, how well you mesh with your instructor, etc. There are a boatload of variables.

It was almost 40yrs ago. I completed at the Minimum hours required. I was at an aviation college at a busy non-towered airport. I flew on average 3 times a week and completed the course between labor day and Christmas.

It was a short distance to the schools "training area". Flying from a towered airport near a large city may increase your flight time per lesson just getting out of the airport and getting to the training/practice area.

I think the national average is closer to 65-70 hrs.

Too many variables to make a blanket statement. They are giving you the perfect scenario . Nothing in aviation is perfect. Ask to see their record of student pass rates and the hours the students had.

The average is allegedly 62 hours. How close you come depends on ability, how often you fly, chemistry between you and instructor, weather, how bad you want it, work ethic and luck.

When I started, my candidate CFI told me the average was between 65 and 80 hours. My purchase of a C182 to complete instruction in after only 20 hours (and no solo) in a C172 certainly didn't help any. In the end, I had a little over 100 hours.

You age x2
That isn't too far off in my case, and you could even claim that this estimate was right, adjusted for learning in a more challenging aircraft. It certainly didn't help that when I started I had one 1 hour lesson every three weeks... before moving to one lesson every two weeks, slowly picking up the pace. Realistically if I had been financially committed to doing it correctly from the start, I would have been flying a lot more often and I would have completed things in a lot fewer hours.

It's possible if you have the time to commit to it. I scheduled every day after work and 2x on weekends and got done in 40. If you schedule 1 or 2 times a week it will be much higher. See if they'll do it fixed price.

20+ years ago.

CFI soloed me at 9.6 hours and I passed the Private at 59 hours. Probably 10 of that was flying every couple days just prior to the test just to make sure I was 100% good to go. I also had a "pre-test" check-ride with the CFI's dad who was the club owner, a pro-pilot and a CFI himself he was way harder on me than the real check-ride by far.

Edited to add: And to really depress you I kept close track of the total cost. It was $3565 that included everything until I passed. $3064.65 in in flight time and $500.88 in other costs (flight test, ground school seminar and written, class 3,...). I only remember because it is still on a post-it in my log book. :D

Last edited:
I had 100 hours when I got my PPL.
That being said, it did not "take" 100 hours to get it, I just flew a lot.
Lots of solo hours and doubled up on my XC flights just for fun. Flying is fun.

Doesn't matter how long it takes. Go fly.

Too many variables to make a blanket statement. They are giving you the perfect scenario . Nothing in aviation is perfect. Ask to see their record of student pass rates and the hours the students had.

:yeahthat:

Study hard, fly 3-4 times per week, hang out at the airport and learn, and you can finish in minimum time. It takes effort, dedication, and use of the trim wheel for every desired change in speed, but it can be done, it's up to you to do it.

I'm in my early 40's, have 3 kids, a pretty demanding job that requires a decent amount of travel and I was able to get it done in 8 months and right at the 'average' of 63 hours. I could have done it in 10 or so less hours - I did a couple extra XC's and since I had my own plane solo'd in the pattern/practice area more often.

That's flying about 8 hours a month. I had some months where I flew a lot more and others much less due to weather, plane maintenance, etc...

As others said, it totally depends on how often you fly and your ability. There's no way to reasonably determine what it's going to take for you. I did my own ground school as well. I waited to take the written until I was close to my checkride to minimize the amount of re-studying I was going to have to do for the oral portion. It worked out well for me.

If they have a curriculum that can work at 40 hours, then you should be able to get it done in 40. If it takes longer, then that is due to your ability to master the tasks. I don't understand the 60-80-100 hours. I would love to see the breakdown in dual vs solo hours and number of dual hours after you solo'd.

Without knowing where all these hours are coming from, I wonder what the "averages" really tell us.

If a guy solos in 8 hours, how many more hours of Dual is he racking up? X-country, night, check-ride prep?

If a guy solos in 8 hours, how many more hours of Dual is he racking up? X-country, night, check-ride prep?

After the FAA required 10hrs solo, I would personally rather do the remainder dual. There is so much to learn before you get a certificate. So 30 hrs dual is how most schools seem to write the curriculum.

I've been talking to a few schools and independents in my area and the consensus I'm getting is $9-10k to PPL. The interesting part about that is how wildly different the hours estimates are.

The independent is $50 an hour for instruction and $89 for a 182, while the school is $124 for a Tecnam and $55 for instruction.

Despite those differences in rates they are both quoting the same total cost estimate.

One is being more realistic about how many hours it'll take in that scenario. Also the independent would be part 61.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always hear about 60 to 65 hours is average for PPL via a part 61 school, a part 141 where all you do is fly will be quicker. Also hear on average 15 to 20 hours to solo. My CFI soloed in 8.5 hours and did have his PPL at 40 hours, but he fully acknowledges that is the exception, and that even though he did not have a PPL he had been around planes basically since birth, and always had an interest in cars, bikes, etc. He thinks that made a big difference.

Cost is going to be plane plus instructor anywhere from 150 to 250 per hour depending on school and area of the country.

I had 100 hours when I got my PPL.
That being said, it did not "take" 100 hours to get it, I just flew a lot.
Lots of solo hours and doubled up on my XC flights just for fun. Flying is fun.

Doesn't matter how long it takes. Go fly.

But you got double lucky. You got into a nice aircraft and had the personal time and funds to get out and do a lot of solo flying BEFORE you did your check ride.

It's a great thing you had. I wish we all had that chance.

For the OP's reference, my experience was 60 hrs, with some start/stops at the beginning, but then 2-3 times a week and completed within 4 months once I got busy with it.

If they're promising you a checkride within 5 hours of minimums (35 or 40 hours), they're either lying, grossly exaggerating, or planning on giving you bare minimum instruction (and still grossly exaggerating).

Check out this free ebook. It'll answer most of the questions you have about earning a private pilot certificate: www.FreeFlyBook.com. No sign up needed and you don't even have to supply your email address.

I've been talking to a few schools and independents in my area and the consensus I'm getting is $9-10k to PPL. The interesting part about that is how wildly different the hours estimates are.

The independent is $50 an hour for instruction and $89 for a 182, while the school is $124 for a Tecnam and $55 for instruction.

Despite those differences in rates they are both quoting the same total cost estimate.

One is being more realistic about how many hours it'll take in that scenario. Also the independent would be part 61.

$140/hr for training in that 182 is a a good bargain. But my math is saying a conservative 55 hrs is $7700 in rental costs. Add about $900 in headset, supplies, written test fees and DPE fee, and the $8600 is less than you are being quoted.

The 182 is not your typical platform to learn in, but not bad either. You'll face the challenge of additional items to know and manage (such as CS prob, different power gauges and techniques, and higher speeds) but it's something you will be getting to eventually. I padded the hours estimate to allow for this.

Unless you are pursuing a pro career, part 61 is okay.

If you choose the independent, the additional thing that will save money beyond 2x -3x times a week is to insist on a written syllabus and follow that. This helps keep training on track and prevent "wandering" on different topics while your money clock is running.

Last edited:
About 70-80 hours in my case (can't remember the exact number). Did my training part time over a year. Could have done it in less but did some extra long XC's for fun. I wasn't concerned about trying to keep the hours low to prove what a hot shot I am.

If someone comes for a concentrated course of instruction, it's possible to earn the PPL in the FAA minimums - my old school has done it quite a few times, but the candidates come with the written already passed, and they're screened for knowledge and attitude before they're accepted into the program.

Otherwise, plan on 60-80 hours and you won't be far off.

40 is the minimum but often pilots do not receive their license in the minimum time. there are lots of variables, how often you fly, how fast you learn, weather, money, etc. i got mine in abut 70 hours. if they are guaranteeing you get it within +5 or less of the minimum, they better have top instructors. seems hard to believe they just make blanket statements like that.

Is it going to make much of a difference in hours depending on a glass cockpit or not?

Does a glass cockpit have any real effect on the hours it could take? Opinions

For me I was hitting everything all cylinders. I was able to grasp all the concepts and apply them. We "Thought" I was on track to solo with 7 to 9 hours since I was getting all the maneuvers with no issues and the ground school and radio part where not giving me any issues. There were a few comments that I may do it in 40ish hours.

Then we hit the spot that made me almost stop training. The flare.... The landing, judging hight from the runway, etc. this took half of forever for me to get and three instructors at the school. The third one finally got the picture to click and I am all good now but not after 16+ frustrating hours for everyone and 130ish landings.

Also, if you are in a busy towered airport plan on some time spent extending downwind while a twin completes a five mile final dragging it in. More than once have I paid for extra straight and level practice :). The other fun money pit is waiting for the IFR clearance for the guy in front of you as he is holding short at the departure end of the runway and neither of us have any where to go but sit and burn fuel and Hobbs time.

Bottom line is everyone is different. Somethings will be easy for you others will take some extra time.

I wouldn't read too much into the hours or total costs they're quoting unless they're way out of line on the high side. i.e. if they say, "everyone takes about 80 hours", I'd go elsewhere.

For getting it done quickly (min total hours) you want to

a) Fly often
b) Have an efficient flight instructor
c) Fly from airport that isn't busy.

Along those lines, I flew twice a week and got it done in 48 hours. If I had been the perfect student I could haved saved myself some time but I took longer than the mins to get the hang of landings. Shortfields, softfields, flaring, crosswinds, they all sucked down extra time. But I got there at my own pace.

There are so many variables, that noone can forecast how long it will take YOU to learn to fly well enough to satisfy yourself, your CFI, and the DPE.

Does a glass cockpit have any real effect on the hours it could take? Opinions

The BEST thing a glass cockpit will do for primary training is nothing at all.

There is a lot more to learn, and it's all unnecessary for a VFR pilot, especially pre-solo.

You fly the plane, not the panel. If budget bothers you, find the cheapest airworthy and safe piece of **** you can get your hands on. It may be very ugly, but as long as the rigging is good, you can learn to fly in it.

THE way to get minimum time certificates is focus. Learn what you need to in order to fly safely, and put off everything else until you're done. A glass panel is not one of those. And they cost more per hour. Sometimes a lot more. Especially pre solo, you're going to be looking at the airspeed indicator, altimeter, tach, engine gauges, and outside. That's it.

With that comment in mind, what has Ben been doing lately? :lol:

He finished his check ride in November, and I haven't seen him on the schedule since a few weeks after that, when I unintentionally reserved his usual Archer out from under him.

It's possible if you have the time to commit to it. I scheduled every day after work and 2x on weekends and got done in 40. If you schedule 1 or 2 times a week it will be much higher. See if they'll do it fixed price.

I sure would enjoy being a fly on the wall when that deal is proposed by the student. Pretty much calling their bluff.

All of the posts above reveal why any "average" figure is a bunch of nonsense. Think about how that number is calculated:

- Nobody does it in less than 40 hours (35 for part 141), period, since that's the minimum. So that skews the distribution right there
- Many, many pilots take some training, then stop. Several years later, take some more, then stop. Some have been almost ready for the checkride, then stopped only to restart training 20 years later, having to relearn everything.
- Many pilots (as in several posts above) do extra training just for the experience or fun of it. This, of course, raises the average, while it really doesn't reflect how much training was needed.
- Some pilots just really, really struggle for 100 hours or so, raising the average.
- The average includes all ages of students, too. Let's be honest, we typically learn slower as we age. As a CFI, I've seen this often. So maybe the 17 year old zipped through it in 40 hours, but the 70 year old took 100. Right there, the average of the two is 70, but doesn't really reflect at all how long it might take a particular student.

As others have mentioned, scheduling numerous lessons per week is the way to go.

I got mine last year. I work a pretty demanding job with travel about twice a month and have 3 young kids that demand a lot of attention. I'm 42, have an engineering degree and work in technical sales for a very large software company. I've taken dozens of industry standard IT certification exams - I know how to study.

I did my own ground school and flew around twice a week when the weather/schedule allowed. I bought into my own plane about 5 hours after I started my PPL training and had a month where I didn't fly because the plane was down for annual and I was traveling.

It took me 8 months and I had 64 hours when I flew to my checkride. I could have done it in a few less hours - I had my own plane so I did a bit more pattern work solo than I needed as well as a couple extra XC's.

No one can tell you how long it's going to take - it's totally up to you...both in terms of your skill/ability and how frequently you fly. If you can put 8 hours a week in you'll finish sooner, most likely. If you fly 2 hours a month it'll take you longer.

Whatever you do - be prepared to spend around $10k to get your PPL, it's not cheap - even if you do it fast.

Why not just do the best you can and enjoy it. How can anyone possibly tell you the number of hours it will take you? the answer will be your doing it.

For all the (realistic and wisely stated) reasons you should plan, expect, and not be surprised if it takes you longer. Even if you're on track to get it done in 40-ish you might change instructors, have a life event, or otherwise become unable to finish in the minimum time. Also, remember that the more time you spend the better you will be.

That said, it can be done in around 40-45 hours but will require a lot of work. I did my solo in 10.7 hours back in 2002. I then took 3 years to graduate high-school, save up money, and get my first year of college out of the way. I was really close to not finishing my private but managed to find a new instructor (old one moved on to the big leagues) and get things together to continue during college. I then did 34.0 hours in 6 months, took my written and got a score of 98 IIRC, then took my practical. All told I had 45.8 hours when I got my private license.

Now, some pointers. I should have done more. Knowing what I know now the 3 year gap cost me a little bit but the total time in general really hurt as far as being prepared to be a pilot. Granted I still feel that I was 100% ready for the exams but that did not mean I was ready to be a pilot. But, as we all know, who is really ready to be a pilot right after they get their license? It's a license to learn and means you've demonstrated the bare minimums. Plan and attempt to exceed those minimums at all times in your flying.

Looking back I was happy to have gotten it done in just under 46 hours. However, to be ready for the exams and feel confident in myself I REALLY had to work hard outside of the dual time with my CFI. My father was working on his multi and commercial at the time so I went up a lot with him. I spent a ton of time at the airport. I went up in the backseat with other students and their CFI (who was usually mine as well). I spent a ton of time reading books. I volunteered for the Civil Air Patrol which had me exposed to aviation very regularly. If I counted all the time I was in a plane learning from others before my practical test I'd probably have about 20 more hours. So, yes, it can be done in 40-ish hours. No this isn't likely and, if you do, be prepared.

Short answer: you can do it, just remember that you'll get out of your training what you put into it.

Extra points: Make sure you've got a well planned syllabus and identify and work on trouble areas away from the cockpit. This will maximize the effectiveness of your training in the cockpit.

The BEST thing a glass cockpit will do for primary training is nothing at all.

This. Glass cockpits are WAY more complex than steam gauges. Sure they give you more tools as a PILOT but as a student they just add more things to learn and more things to have to demonstrate that you know how to use. I'd tack on at LEAST 5 hours MINIMUM because of the glass and this assumes you go nuts with home study of the glass cockpit manual.

If at all possible skip the glass (they're usually more expensive to rent, too) and this is coming from a computer loving engineer who really enjoys flying a glass cockpit plane.

Back