GO PRO Cameras

Honestly I use Microsoft movie maker. It is free, surprisingly easy to use, and seems to be compatible with everything.

I use CineForm studio that you can download for free from gopro to do the initial conversion and use the Microsoft software for editing and sound.

Okay, I used movie maker, but the quality was bad when I tried to save it for "email" or "You Tube" mode. Any ideas?

Okay, I used movie maker, but the quality was bad when I tried to save it for "email" or "You Tube" mode. Any ideas?

I use live movie maker !
How is the quality after you finish saving ? The video quality on mine is poor if I watch the video while it's being saved but much better after it's finished.
I use 1080 or 1040 HD.
What do you use to convert your video ?

I use live movie maker !
How is the quality after you finish saving ? The video quality on mine is poor if I watch the video while it's being saved but much better after it's finished.
I use 1080 or 1040 HD.
What do you use to convert your video ?

:dunno:

I think I got it. The quality during editing is crappy, but better when published.

Okay.... don't laugh too hard. Why is it "waivy".

http://youtu.be/1m9OG2A-LIA

Last edited:
Nice clear video.

How did you do that?

Go slow. ;)

Student here. :lol:

used the suction cup mount on the back window, set it to 1080p with ProTune on, went flying for about an hour, and then did some post processing and published :D what do you want to know in particular?

:dunno:

I think I got it. The quality during editing is crappy, but better when published.

Okay.... don't laugh too hard. Why is it "waivy".

http://youtu.be/1m9OG2A-LIA

I'm pretty sure that's because of the vibration of the camera not playing well with the rolling shutter of the GoPro. This was my first video and the same thing happens, especially on downwind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvZxth4fddI&feature=player_detailpage#t=146s

Watch for 15 ish seconds and you'll see it get really bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvZxth4fddI&feature=player_detailpage#t=146s

I have the idea of using a handle bar mount (I normally use it for my fishing pole) on the pitot tube. However, just saying that makes me feel like it is not a good idea. The mount is two curved pieces of plastic that have screws on either side to clamp it down on the mounting surface. Any thoughts? Right now I mount inside the cockpit on the windscreen looking forward. (As in my avatar pic).

Clamping to the pitot tube would be a bad idea. Possibly denting it would be bad, having plastic contacting it if you turn on pitot heat would be bad, having the GoPro add wind drag to the pitot, stressing the mounting point more than it was designed would be bad. My understanding is pretty much anything bolted/clamped/attached to the outside of a certified plane, including a GoPro, needs an STC or FSDO field approval to be legal.

Clamping to the pitot tube would be a bad idea. Possibly denting it would be bad, having plastic contacting it if you turn on pitot heat would be bad, having the GoPro add wind drag to the pitot, stressing the mounting point more than it was designed would be bad. My understanding is pretty much anything bolted/clamped/attached to the outside of a certified plane, including a GoPro, needs an STC or FSDO field approval to be legal.

Yep that's what I was thinking--I don't think it would go over too well if I showed up to the checkride with that hanging off the pitot (or any exterior surface for that matter).

Yep that's what I was thinking--I don't think it would go over too well if I showed up to the checkride with that hanging off the pitot (or any exterior surface for that matter).

Probably not. With that said, many people have had success attaching GoPros to tiedown points (mentioned earlier), struts, and other rigid structures with no ill effects...but the legality is a separate issue. In any case, whatever you do, don't attach a safety cable or rope to the camera. If the mount comes loose, the last thing you want is a camera on a string slamming against the airframe in 100kt slipstream.

In any case, whatever you do, don't attach a safety cable or rope to the camera. If the mount comes loose, the last thing you want is a camera on a string slamming against the airframe in 100kt slipstream.

Ok, glad you said that because I definitely would have done that had I decided to put it on the outside.

I think I'll stick to inside the aircraft. How do you guys attach the things to tiedown bolts? I don't own a plane, so I think that leasers may be a bit wary of me putting the camera on the outside of the plane or removing any parts to screw things in. And I don't wanna pay for that strut mount.

Ok, glad you said that because I definitely would have done that had I decided to put it on the outside.

I think I'll stick to inside the aircraft. How do you guys attach the things to tiedown bolts? I don't own a plane, so I think that leasers may be a bit wary of me putting the camera on the outside of the plane or removing any parts to screw things in. And I don't wanna pay for that strut mount.

I just unscrew the 3/8" 18 TPI bolt and screw in my homemade mount.

I'm pretty sure that's because of the vibration of the camera not playing well with the rolling shutter of the GoPro. This was my first video and the same thing happens, especially on downwind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvZxth4fddI&feature=player_detailpage#t=146s

Watch for 15 ish seconds and you'll see it get really bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvZxth4fddI&feature=player_detailpage#t=146s

That is exactly what happens to me also.

What kind of plane? Rans? Titian?

That is exactly what happens to me also.

What kind of plane? Rans? Titian?

Sky Arrow. This one, to be exact:

4694624292_119a726f55_z.jpg

How did you attach the mic cable through the housing? Did you just drill a hole or do you have a housing that was set up for it? I dont wanna defeat mine from being waterproof

Looks like his is drilled. They make a "naked" housing for it where all the ports are exposed though

Ok cool thanks. I just realized his is a Hero2 which has a direct 3.5mm mic input, where as my Hero3 does not, instead it has a micro usb hook up and I have to use an adapter to go to a 3.5mm mic. Gonna try to mount a mike inside the earpiece of my headset to pick up audio

It's not a GoPro but I use a Contour Roam that I bought off Amazon for $110 a few weeks ago and a Panavise suction cup mount for it.

In the 172 I put it on my left at the top right hand corner of the door. When I have it set to 1080P it records the entire panel plus gives me an outside view for reference as to what I am doing at that point in time. It is allowing me to go back and watch each lesson to make notes and "mentally fly" each lesson over again to improve before the next.

The ROAM does not have an external mic input which I actually prefer at this point. I allow the camera to record the engine and air-frame sound while I use a small Sony digital voice recorder for all radio comms. All that's needed is a "Y" adapter from Radioshack, plug it in to one of the comm jacks then the headset in one side, voice recorder in the other. Crystal clear radio audio and you can hear what the engine and air frame are doing as well.

Only down side is you have to combine everything in a video editor and sync everything up, but its not a huge deal.

This video is where I got the information to do it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7kEwY6znwCA#!

Last edited:
I just unscrew the 3/8" 18 TPI bolt and screw in my homemade mount.
There is an interesting article in last month's (February 2013)EAA magazine(SPort Aviation) concerning cameras. The take home concerning external mounting as far as the FAA is concerned is "For certified aircraft, mounting a [external] camera is strictly against the rules. Don't even think about it. For experimental aircraft, the rules are less clear, but the dangers are no less real." Later on, however, the go on to say "...GoPro is working with the FAA on recommendations for rules and policies when it comes to external mounts, somce the existing rules may be out of date with newer technologies..."

You could try this to get a field appoval:

Bolt the GoPro mount to something such as 2024T3 about .040" thick the diameter of an inspection cover and match drilled hole pattern attached that over or temporarily replacing a wing inspection cover using appropriate length AN545 screws (for machine screw type receptacles) or appropriate length steel sheet metal screw (for tinnerman style like old Cessnas). Exact location that the assembly will be mounted.

They will want some limitations such as:

VFR DAY ONLY

Aircraft must be test flown and a log entry documented to satisfy 91.407, at initial installation

Inspect for condition EACH flight.

Maybe minimum crew only?

I bet you could do it if you FSDO shopped.

If you performed the 91.407 flight with the thing on inboard wing then the 91.407 flight would be required again if installed at a different location.

STC:
When you get into GIANT UGLY antennas (or anything big hanging on the aircraft), yes YOU WILL NEED an STC. Usually they install the BIG UGLY antenna on the certificated airplane that has been temporarily put into Experimental, then go test fly it with an FAA test pilot and run through the same tests or an abbreviated version of the flight testing that was required for type certification.

Last edited:
Ok cool thanks. I just realized his is a Hero2 which has a direct 3.5mm mic input, where as my Hero3 does not, instead it has a micro usb hook up and I have to use an adapter to go to a 3.5mm mic. Gonna try to mount a mike inside the earpiece of my headset to pick up audio
Yes, Hero2. GoPro makes what they call a Skeleton housing for that model LINK.

A Hero3 would require using either The Frame mount or indeed drilling/cutting a regular sealed housing (which is my eventual plan).

I tried a Hero3 and the thing kept doing a room temp thermal lock at exactly 25min. So I returned it, let them sort out the firmware first lol.

At the same I also had The Frame mount and was not pleased with it all. I immediately realized that removing the unit means removing the whole thing and I prefer leaving my mount set up and removing just the unit. Another is that I couldn't take the card out without, yet again, removing the unit. (you can with the H2/Skeleton). A third, yet minor, consideration for indoor use was that the unit lens is not protected. But not having another piece of glass helps with getting a great video.

Just FYI GP makes an audio adapter/power adapter combo cable. This way you can run alternate power in addition to the audio: http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/combo-cable

Last edited:
What a coincidence. I just got a Hero3 and tried it out yesterday. I mounted it inside on the passenger's window using the suction cup mount. I'm quite happy with the quality of the video. Unfortunately my ears were bugging me yesterday so I just stuck to the pattern (and it looks like I keep yawning in the video). The battery life is not long... you won't be able to capture an entire XC flight and edit it down afterwards, even with a lot of SD card storage. Instead, turn it on for the moments you care about like T/O and landing. The field of view is wide enough for showing the cockpit from inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsNYjZgCZyI

What a coincidence. I just got a Hero3 and tried it out yesterday. I mounted it inside on the passenger's window using the suction cup mount. I'm quite happy with the quality of the video. Unfortunately my ears were bugging me yesterday so I just stuck to the pattern (and it looks like I keep yawning in the video). The battery life is not long... you won't be able to capture an entire XC flight and edit it down afterwards, even with a lot of SD card storage. Instead, turn it on for the moments you care about like T/O and landing. The field of view is wide enough for showing the cockpit from inside.

Depending on which version of the Hero3 you have you can decrease the video quality and get more camera life. I use a 32 GB card and the back up battery, and when the darn thing works the way it should(which is not as often as it should be) I usually can expect about 2 to 3 hours of recording. The problem is the camera(and maybe its just mine) is quite buggy. Personally, I like the Hero2 better, and was planning on buying another one(I have 2 already) but they are asking a premium for the thing. Wish I bought one or two when they went on sale just prior to introducing the hero3.

Much like aircraft with big tanks or flying fast or slow to increase range there is a trade off between the quality+framerate vs. battery+storage. The Hero3 can also support shooting HD at 60fps which lets you get great slowed down footage. That could be neat for some shots too. But it's going to eat a lot of battery and storage per second while recording!

The video I linked is 1080p and 30 fps. You can view the high quality on YouTube if you go fullscreen or select it. The file uploaded to YouTube was around 1.2GB!

get this and it wont be a problem

http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/hero3-battery-bacpac

I was looking into getting a Hero 3 Black but I noticed that the reviews (on amazon) are pretty bad. Does anyone have one and know whether it is still buggy? Looks like they are mostly complaining about it freezing and poor battery life.

Hey Go Pro pros.

I tried to take a time laspe video. All I got was a bunch of singles. WTF?

How do I make that into a video? :dunno:

Livitup- How's your battery life?

Geico- You need to put them into a video editor and make an image sequence. Just import all the pictures and set how long you want to show each one. Should be able to do this in movie maker or imovie.

Geico- You need to put them into a video editor and make an image sequence. Just import all the pictures and set how long you want to show each one. Should be able to do this in movie maker or imovie.

You da man!

I was looking into getting a Hero 3 Black but I noticed that the reviews (on amazon) are pretty bad. Does anyone have one and know whether it is still buggy? Looks like they are mostly complaining about it freezing and poor battery life.
I thought I posted a reply but cannot find it so I guess I never posted it. I have two Hero2 and one Hero3 black. The Hero3 is buggy, turns off without reason, corrrupts videos, but when it works it takes great video. The hero2 work fine. I would buy another hero2 but they are asking premium prices for them so will sit tight. Call GoPro yesterday to ask about getting a Hero2 from them, but of course they do not sell them anymore. I think the Hero3 is one of those windows type issues. You know when the new version of windows sucks and the previous version was great. Sometimes the enemy of good is better!

3 ish hours at 720/30 with the wifi on. At this point in my training, it will last longer than I will.

I have experienced a hang with my Hero3 once. I just removed and reinserted the battery. They do come out with periodic firmware updates and as a software engineer I know that bugs are a reality. Definitely I'll be keeping the device firmware up to date.

The video quality is excellent (including the optical quality) for the price of the device. I haven't noticed any issues with corruption.

I was also surprised to find that the time lapse mode gives you a bunch of still images rather than making a video but there are plenty of tools to stitch them together. Here is a tutorial for the free movie maker software that comes with Windows: http://timelapseblog.com/2010/04/12/windows-live-movie-maker-time-lapse-tutorial/

If the hero3 black dies unexpectedly, or if your turn off the camera without stopping the video from recording it will corrupt the file. There is an easy fix to restore the video, but this does not happen with the Hero2. Personally, though the Hero3 black has better optics, for what I am(and I think most of us are) doing the Hero2 is a better camera.

Thanks guys, that's what I was worried about. I would get the hero 2 but I like the flat lens on the 3 for filming underwater. I might just wait for them to fix it or come out with a new model.

Livitup, sounds like yours is working properly. The reviews I read were saying less than 1 hr. Maybe only the black model is buggy?

Thanks guys, that's what I was worried about. I would get the hero 2 but I like the flat lens on the 3 for filming underwater. I might just wait for them to fix it or come out with a new model.

Livitup, sounds like yours is working properly. The reviews I read were saying less than 1 hr. Maybe only the black model is buggy?
Chances are pretty good that the hang faults are fixable with firmware. As long as that's true there's no risk buying one now as their updates are free.

Back