Go/no go advice?

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
Planned a trip from KEAU - KPPQ this afternoon departing around 3:30 local time(cdt). Expecting just under 3 hrs. Had planned on a cruising altitude of 5500 but I'm seeing a few reports along the route, including the departure area of scattered or few clouds at around 3500. Others are reporting clear or much higher ceilings.

I think I'm good to go anyway, it looks like I can still make this flight at 3500 if I need to but that is less margin than I'd prefer. I have the option of going any time in the next couple of days or just driving it.

I imagine most would just go but this my first real unsupervised cross country with my ppl so advice appreciated.

I should add I know scattered isn't a ceiling, just don't want to dodge all the way down..... and now that I think of that a bit I don't know what I'm worried about.

Plenty of room below 3500' to fly plus you can go around scattered and few.

If its going to risk anything safety wise its a "no go" if you feel comfortable diverting around it or can be under it, go ahead

Do you have to make it one leg? Break it up and stay at a hotel for a night.

If you make it, great. If you don't, it just adds to your experience and knowledge. I'm not condoning that you push your limits.

I normally drive this route and it takes 8 hours. 3 hours of flying doesn't intimidate me. I just wanted to get up into a cruising altitude and be clear of clouds.

If winds work out for me it should be more like 2.5-2.75hrs but I'm planning 3 and that's where the last winds aloft report I saw was leaning.

I normally drive this route and it takes 8 hours. 3 hours of flying doesn't intimidate me. I just wanted to get up into a cruising altitude and be clear of clouds.

If winds work out for me it should be more like 2.5-2.75hrs but I'm planning 3 and that's where the last winds aloft report I saw was leaning.

Nothing in flying is perfect. Plan for one altitude. If it doesn't work, pick another one.

If you get high enough and it doesn't look good further down the line, divert and land.

Nothing in flying is perfect. Plan for one altitude. If it doesn't work, pick another one.

If you get high enough and it doesn't look good further down the line, divert and land.

Yup. Flexibility is especially important for safe cross country flying.

Made the flight at 3500. Glad I did.

Also glad I got flight following as they vectored me away from someone coming head on at me.

Made the flight at 3500. Glad I did.

Also glad I got flight following as they vectored me away from someone coming head on at me.
Looks like you made the right decision! Remember you can always dodge scattered and few clouds and its also cool to be on top of the clouds

Back