GNS 480 (CNX 80) End of Service Life

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by WannFly, Nov 16, 2017.

1. WannFly

WannFly En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    WannaFly
  2. Velocity173

Velocity173 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    The 480 capable of displaying ADS-B in options?

3. WannFly

WannFly En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    WannaFly
    there is a traffic page in 480, so yeah I am sure it can display. I don't have ADSB connected to 480 though

4. Velocity173

Velocity173 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    IMG_2669.JPG
    Yeah I've got TIS on mine but I haven't heard if it's compatible with a GDL-88 or a GTX-345 for ADS-B in. They all say 400/500 series but I haven't heard anything definitive on the 480.

5. WannFly

WannFly En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    WannaFly
    they typically don't write about 480 at all, even if when it is compatible (example G5 HSI). I have a GDL 90 that's connected to GMX 200. I believe I can be connected to 480 too, but not sure.
    on a diff note, I have heard a lot of people complaining about how complex 480 is, I don't find it complex. though I am VFR and actually don't know all the IFR stuff that may be complicated.

6. CMongoose

CMongoose Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    CMongoose
    I've heard the 480 is a big of a pain with traffic as it's hard to silence in busy airspace.

I love mine. It makes IFR flying, especially around the New York area with bendy airways and frequent reroutes very simple. I hear the 650/750 has some of that built into it too, now.

7. dans2992

dans2992 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dans2992
    I’ll take a 480 over a 430/530 any day.

I’m assuming the 650/750 is an improvement.

8. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Now offering reverse discounts.
    As will I. And yes, the GTN’s do claim the 480 as the predecessor. The button and use logic is very similar.

9. Ryan F.

Ryan F. Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan Ferguson 1974
    BIG improvement. There's no comparison, really.

10. bnt83

bnt83 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian
    Judging from the insane prices that the used GNS series has been selling for over that several years, I'll swap to the new one when my GTN is no longer "the new radio."

11. Ryan F.

Ryan F. Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan Ferguson 1974
    That's why I bought a (very slightly) used 650; it was only a couple grand more than a 430W.

The prices have been kept artificially high on the GNS series for awhile but they're finally starting to drop. For the record, I taught the GNS series for years, and have flown (and taught in) dozens of airplanes with 430s and 530s installed. They're fine units, and I really don't care enough about which one is better to get into an argument over it.

I'm not telling anyone what to do but if the prices have held their peak and are just now starting to slide, now would be the perfect time, financially, to upgrade to the GTN from a GNS series... get the maximum trade-in value, and get the advantage of relatively low prices for the GTN.

Among the many advantages of the GTN series is the confusing (to some) "Garminology" is mostly gone. No more wondering when to press Enter vs. "in" on the dual-knob, no more endless acknowledgment messages, etc. And it's just a hell of a capable little device especially in the Garmin eco-verse of avionics. It talks to lots of other Garmin gadgets. And in terms of its UI, well, I have yet to find a better one. That would include the leading-edge avionics suites I fly in business jets. It's that good, that well thought out. Garmin really nailed it.

For the (currently) small price delta between a used GNS and a new or slightly used GTN, it's a no-brainer... go with the GTN.

12. Ryanb

Ryanb Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    The 480 isn’t very complicated. I haven’t quite mastered it yet, but I certainly enjoy using it, along with the G5.