GMA350 vs. PS8000BT

callegro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Callegro
I'm in the market for a new audio panel and I am kinda leaning toward an 8000BT. It is a bit cheaper than the GMA, and I just feel like the 8000BT offers more than enough of what I am looking for. Do you guys have any advice/objections?

PMA450A

Thank me once you have installed it.

Stay away from Garmin audio panels. Mine failed and Garmin's support policies would have left me AOG for a week. Never again.

Stay away from Garmin audio panels. Mine failed and Garmin's support policies would have left me AOG for a week. Never again.

Why? If you turn it off it goes into failsafe mode, limited to com1 only but no reason to be grounded.

I fried a brand new never flown 8000BT by accident, an energized wire with 12 volts made contact with a headphone jack, It took about 3 days to get it fixed including shipping. The cost was much much lower than I was expecting.

There's no way I'd buy a Garmin one over a PS Engineering. PS customer support is excellent, the owner even answers the emails himself frequently.

Got a GMA in mine and haven had any issues and have been happy with it.

The last few work planes, and the current work plane have the same audio panel too, always worked fine for me

Got a GMA in mine and haven had any issues and have been happy with it.

The last few work planes, and the current work plane have the same audio panel too, always worked fine for me

I had a 340.... Had..... A 340. It was OK. Put in a 450A. I'd liken it to driving a Kia Rio vs driving a LeXus ISF. Both will get you there. One is just so much more than the other though.

I've had the 8000BT for just over a year and love it. Wonderfully clear audio. Haven't tried the Garmin so I can't compare the two.

Couldn't think of any other feature I could possibly need, until they just announced the audio annunciation model, but that is always going to happen.

I had a 340.... Had..... A 340. It was OK. Put in a 450A. I'd liken it to driving a Kia Rio vs driving a LeXus ISF. Both will get you there. One is just so much more than the other though.

I just don't get it, it's a audio panel, what exactly are you needing it to do?

The GMA already does more than I need it to do in both my plane and the work plane, where I'm monitoring multiple freqs, talking to my crew, and monitoring a sat phone.

Why? If you turn it off it goes into failsafe mode, limited to com1 only but no reason to be grounded.

So I'm supposed to fly it around forever with one com radio, no MARKERS, no INTERCOM, no ID facility on the NAV radios? If you pull the unit to be returned the "fail safe" goes with it. Garmin had NO LOANERS and no guarantee of a turn around time though they were quite happy to FEDEX me a new one overnight if I wanted to by it.

Nope, go with something reliable that has a decent service network.

I just don't get it, it's a audio panel, what exactly are you needing it to do?

The GMA already does more than I need it to do in both my plane and the work plane, where I'm monitoring multiple freqs, talking to my crew, and monitoring a sat phone.

I guess you don't know what you don't know. If your in the area, you can come sample mine.

Just like a certain president said..... If you like your audio panel, you can keep your audio panel.

So I'm supposed to fly it around forever with one com radio, no MARKERS, no INTERCOM, no ID facility on the NAV radios? If you pull the unit to be returned the "fail safe" goes with it. Garmin had NO LOANERS and no guarantee of a turn around time though they were quite happy to FEDEX me a new one overnight if I wanted to by it.

Nope, go with something reliable that has a decent service network.

You made it sound like you were stuck on the ground some place and couldn't get home, thats why I mention it.

The day my 340 dies, I'll just turn it off and order myself a PS thats tray compatible.

PS Engineering makes a great product! I highly recommend the 8000BT. (but then again, I'm some random guy on the Internet....)

I've had the 6000 for almsot 15 years - love it, never had a problem with it. As noted earlier, the owner pays attention to POA and will always answer questions.

PS Engineering makes a great product! I highly recommend the 8000BT. (but then again, I'm some random guy on the Internet....)

So is the 8000 still being made or is it being replaced by 450 and Is there a chart somewhere showing 8000 vs 450?

Just pulled my GMA340 out and stuck in a PMA8000BTi. The GMA340 was a quality unit that performed well. The PMA8000BTi is also a quality unit that performs as well, but has a lot more features. I am not familiar with the 350 but PS Engineering's automatic squelch, playback, BlueTooth of course, split radios, and more absolutely blow away the GMA340. I never had to call Garmin but I did call PS Engineering with a few questions and they were fast and knowledgeable. What more can a guy ask for?

Another fan of the PS Engineering products.

I'm noticing a trend guys..... Just sayin'

So is the 8000 still being made or is it being replaced by 450 and Is there a chart somewhere showing 8000 vs 450?

I bought my 450 a year or two ago, and it was being sold alongside the 8000. I went ahead and got the 450. I liked the LCD display. Makes changes a little easier for me. The 450 can put com1 in one ear and com2 in the other. I can't remember if the 8000 did this or not. I did have a warranty issue with my 450. I guess it was one of the earlier sales and needed some updates. Communication with tech support was super. My only gripe was paying shipping, but I guess Amazon customer service has me spoiled. I also love having the USB port built into the panel. I see the 450A has the new USB-c.

Bottom line, I really like my 450 and would buy another PS Engineering product in a heartbeat.

The 450 can put com1 in one ear and com2 in the other. I can't remember if the 8000 did this or not.

Bottom line, I really like my 450 and would buy another PS Engineering product in a heartbeat.

I believe they call this intelliaudio and its an option, called 8000BTI

Last edited:
Back