Glacier Girl - how it was recovered article

Interesting because Cardin didn’t have much to do with the recovery, he got involved for the restoration.

Glacier girl was at Sun and Fun, got to see her up close and personal, highlight of the trip.

No tape around it when I got near it, I spent about 20 minutes checking it out up close.

IMG_20180413_130435.jpg IMG_20180413_130558.jpg IMG_20180413_130615.jpg

In the summer of 2003, en route to a Cessna Pilots Association get-together in Virginia, we stopped in Middlesboro, KY just to see Glacier Girl. The restoration had just been completed, and there were numerous posters detailing the recovery. What an amazing story.

Interesting because Cardin didn’t have much to do with the recovery, he got involved for the restoration.

Pat Epps tried earlier didn't he? I think he wasn't involved when they did get it out, but Epps started the whole recovery deal if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
Any pictures of what it looked like as it was coming out of the ice..??

Here's a photo taken while the aircraft was still under the ice and prior to being dismantled.

lbDIbAl.jpg

In 2007 I volunteered at Oshkosh and they assigned me to marshall traffic at the north end of the 'ditch'. I was busy working with the Tri-motor* and Glacier Girl taxiied up behind me waiting for me to get un-busy. Nice surprise! Pretty Airplane.

* Marshalling the Ford Tri-motor at KOSH is a misnomer. Basically, it goes where it wants, when it wants. My job was to keep other planes out of its way!

Fun times! -Skip

One of my bucket list items is to fly a P-38. I even got trained for it, but the plane was damaged before I could go solo.
If "Glacier Girl" goes missing, I need someone to cover for me.
There is a ride or two in it for you.

saw her when she was in Middlesboro. She was “brand new” and gorgeous in her little hangar.

Pat Epps tried earlier didn't he? I think he wasn't involved when they did get it out, but Epps started the whole recovery deal if I recall correctly.

Right or wrong, my memory is different. I think Epps was a partner through the recovery, but bailed sometime early in the restoration process because of escalating costs.

Right or wrong, my memory is different. I think Epps was a partner through the recovery, but bailed sometime early in the restoration process because of escalating costs.

Maybe that's it, don't recall, but he went up there I believe once maybe more.

I have to correct my previous statement. Bob Cardin did get involved in the 1992 expedition that successfully recovered Glacier Girl.

As some of you know, I work for Pat Epps. He made several trips up there including the 1992 trip that brought the plane up. For financial reasons, he was not part of the restoration. One of our line guys, who has been with the company over 30 years was part of the team.

Last edited:
I'm an old geezer (80) I grew up in Burbank close to Lockheed Air Terminal (now BUR) P-38s were everywhere. That plane is still my favorite war bird.
Paul
Salome, AZ

We were lucky enough to have Pat come and speak about the expeditions at one of our EAA Chapter meetings.

My favorite WWII bird (After the Mustang)... Didn't Clay Lacy Fly a P38 at Reno back in the late 60's early 70's?

What I wouldn't give to fly it just once.

But I only came to the thread because I confused Glacier Girl with Gulfstream Girl.

One of my bucket list items is to fly a P-38. I even got trained for it, but the plane was damaged before I could go solo.
If "Glacier Girl" goes missing, I need someone to cover for me.
There is a ride or two in it for you.

No problem. I have some nice wire cutters for........... wire. certainly not fences.

Coincidentally, I was standing next to Glacier Girl just two hours ago listening to Bob Cardin talking about the whole project.

Back