Girls, Guns and Airplanes - What a weekend!

jlwilson

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joyce
GG&A.jpg

So we had a little get together at the ranch.... 4 pilots and an honorary non-pilot. One Cessna 182 (mine - not in the picture), 2 Mooneys and a Piper Archer. Lots of guns, lots of ammo and lots of fun. The pilots included me (who hasn't really done anything significant in the aviation world), an ATP who flies the Gov. of TX around, an AME and an adventuresome lady CFII pilot who has flown around the world.

It was a really fun weekend.

Like these!!

girls_guns_web.gif

I want to know how the TSA allowed these obvious terrorists on the ramp with weapons, when they had the obvious intent of taking over (their own) airplanes!

Joyce, it's a good thing you included "girls" in the subject, or Scott would have been obligated to post one of his favorite pictures of himself:

awesomeness.jpg

Or I could just post pictures of me...
d1844_m_s_rss002.jpg

Last edited:
While I hate to rain on this otherwise excellent parade, it sure looks like the woman on the left has her weapon boresighted with the head of the one in the center. Hopefully that's just an illusion.

While I hate to rain on this otherwise excellent parade, it sure looks like the woman on the left has her weapon boresighted with the head of the one in the center. Hopefully that's just an illusion.
One with the finger on the trigger and two with the guns pointed in way less than ideal directions.

Inexperienced people handling pistols is always a little scary. It's just so much easier to point in places they shouldn't be pointing than a long arm. It helps if you give them a holster so they have a place to put it when they're not pointing it at the target.

It's a tough angle for the picture because there are so many directions that involve people.

Last edited:
One with the finger on the trigger and two with the guns pointed in way less than ideal directions.

Inexperienced people handling pistols is always a little scary. It's just so much easier to point in places they shouldn't be pointing than a long arm. It helps if you give them a holster so they have a place to put it when they're not pointing it at the target.

It's a tough angle for the picture because there are so many directions that involve people.

I was going to say the same thing. One girl has a gun pointing at her head, another has it pointed at her CM.

Glad y'all are out there having fun though. Shooting is a great hobby/sport, just be smart about it.

In the original picture, I'm gonna give credit for camera angles as far as where the weapons are pointed - it's possible that they're all pointed well away from other folks. But only the second one from the left is holding the weapon the way I was taught, with the finger off the trigger and the weapon pointed down and away from me and others.

I will assure you that all the weapons were pointed well away from people. They were also all double and triple checked to be unloaded before we set up the picture. I'm the 2nd from the left and of course had the most experience with firearms. The camera was on the tailgate of my pickup and I had a remote so no one was 'downrange' taking the picture. It was just a fun weekend with some really cool women.

Joyce,

Very cool...

On a related note, John May took very good care of me...he is a very thorough guy...thanks for the hookup...

Joyce: Just ignore all these guys. They are just envious because they weren't invited!

Joyce: Just ignore all these guys. They are just envious because they weren't invited!

I will fully admit to being envious.

This weekend I am going to training to be a Girl Scout Camping volunteer (learn to start a fire the GS way, never mind that you've been camping for decades!). Even though there will be no kids there, I'm still required to lock up my firearm and leave it in the trunk of the car - this is an "exception" to GS policies made for folks who are required to carry firearms.

I want to ask why the GS prohibits firearms education while allowing archery, but I think I'll wait until my training record is signed off.

I will fully admit to being envious.

This weekend I am going to training to be a Girl Scout Camping volunteer (learn to start a fire the GS way, never mind that you've been camping for decades!). Even though there will be no kids there, I'm still required to lock up my firearm and leave it in the trunk of the car - this is an "exception" to GS policies made for folks who are required to carry firearms.

I want to ask why the GS prohibits firearms education while allowing archery, but I think I'll wait until my training record is signed off.

I remember when my daughter was in Girl Scouts. The things that we routinely did on Boy Scout outtings would put them into fits. No liquid fuel stoves allowed! Gee, my MSR Whisperlight that I use when backpacking with the boys isn't allowed? My Coleman stove that I've been using since I was a kid isn't allowed? Get a life, GS. One father-daughter campout was about all I could take.

And firearms? My son earned both the Rifle Shooting and Shotgun Shooting merit badges on his way to Eagle. Black powder option for at least the rifle badge. GS would have fits again. Phooey.

Found out the other day that Leslie might be interested in a gun! Now we can start on another expensive hobby together! :)

That looks like a lof of fun and if you guys (and gals) don't know it Joyce and her husband make some of the finest 1911 platforms in the world as well as some other excellent firearms and equipment. :cheerswine:

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/

When the weather around here warms up again, maybe I'll host a fly in and shoot at my club.

I remember when my daughter was in Girl Scouts. The things that we routinely did on Boy Scout outtings would put them into fits. No liquid fuel stoves allowed! Gee, my MSR Whisperlight that I use when backpacking with the boys isn't allowed? My Coleman stove that I've been using since I was a kid isn't allowed? Get a life, GS. One father-daughter campout was about all I could take.

And firearms? My son earned both the Rifle Shooting and Shotgun Shooting merit badges on his way to Eagle. Black powder option for at least the rifle badge. GS would have fits again. Phooey.

Actually, they've let up on the liquid fuel - at least for the adults. I'm bringing my coleman white gas lantern this weekend.

So we had a little get together at the ranch....
I hope to make it to your ranch one of these days. :)

The pilots included me (who hasn't really done anything significant in the aviation world)
Oh, but you have! Not only are you actively flying your airplane all around and enjoying it, you raced in it this year in a significant and challenging race! :thumbsup: And came in second out of 51 airplanes! :thumbsup: That is quite an accomplishment! :yes: :cheerswine:

It was a really fun weekend.
I'm going to have to make it to your ranch one of these days. :D I just flew (a Skyhawk) home from Dallas today and was thinking of where to fly next. :D

I hope to make it to your ranch one of these days. :)

Oh, but you have! Not only are you actively flying your airplane all around and enjoying it, you raced in it this year in a significant and challenging race! :thumbsup: And came in second out of 51 airplanes! :thumbsup: That is quite an accomplishment! :yes: :cheerswine:

I'm going to have to make it to your ranch one of these days. :D I just flew (a Skyhawk) home from Dallas today and was thinking of where to fly next. :D

KLBR is where you need to fly next!!! And soon!!! We can play with airplanes and guns and horses and ATVs and who knows what else!!! I would love to have you and Tom come visit. Let's make that happen - SOON!!!:wink2::wink2::wink2::wink2:

Found out the other day that Leslie might be interested in a gun! Now we can start on another expensive hobby together! :)

Sorry Grant, it's illegal to think about handguns while a resident of Illinois!

Sorry Grant, it's illegal to think about handguns while a resident of Illinois!
Really, it's no problem. They just have to be broken down into at least five pieces and each piece transported in a locked fireproof container in a separate vehicle!:incazzato:

Really, it's no problem. They just have to be broken down into at least five pieces and each piece transported in a locked fireproof container in a separate vehicle!:incazzato:

I suppose that it really shouldn't be mentioned that it is legal to transport a handgun just about anywhere (glovebox, console, under seat) in a vehicle in Colorado...I suppose that it also shouldn't be mentioned that state law trumped local (Denver) law on this issue.

The whole "shall issue" thing probably shouldn't be mentioned either...

So I shouldn't mention that we also shot an HK MP5 SD this weekend :devil:

So I shouldn't mention that we also shot an HK MP5 SD this weekend :devil:

Now that's hitting below the belt! :D

Its nice having a Class III isn't it? :wink2:

That looks like a lof of fun and if you guys (and gals) don't know it Joyce and her husband make some of the finest 1911 platforms in the world as well as some other excellent firearms and equipment. :cheerswine:

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/

When the weather around here warms up again, maybe I'll host a fly in and shoot at my club.

Drool! That's some really nice looking work there. The 1911 is on my want list, but it's probably going to have to wait a bit.

Back