GippsAero loses a GA10 in flight test

Trying to test the theory that planes don't need pilots apparently.

Must have been something severe and unrecoverable for two test pilots to bail at 5,000' agl.

Must have been something severe and unrecoverable for two test pilots to bail at 5,000' agl.

I was thinking that, too. Although 5000 as a hard deck may have simply been a "you don't go below this" hard-written into the test protocol... hit 5000, you're leaving... say goodbye... but we don't know.

I'm sure there are descent conditions where 5,000 AGL is less than a minute from the ground. I've been in them in a PA-28.

I'm sure there are descent conditions where 5,000 AGL is less than a minute from the ground. I've been in them in a PA-28.

Yeah... also need some time to deploy chutes and what-not, once you bail and clear the aircraft...

I was thinking that, too. Although 5000 as a hard deck may have simply been a "you don't go below this" hard-written into the test protocol... hit 5000, you're leaving...
"Severe and unrecoverable" is usually implicit or explicit in a hard bailout altitude.

Nauga,
no tones, no sideforce, no problems

“Envelope expansion”......code words for “we got into a cg problem for the airspeed we were at”. Sounds like they got into trouble and couldn’t get the airplane back into positive control before they reached their abort altitude. The boldface for the test probably was if you decend to 5k feet and are do not have positive control of the a/c, then exit the a/c expeditiously....

Same type stuff we have at work, but our altitudes are a bit taller, as we are way heavier and faster. Having Martin-Baker seats helps.

Back