Ginger or MaryAnn? Ariel or Amelia?

She has every intent on duplicating the Original Amelia's flight around the world in an SR22 with all possible navigation equipment (G1000, etc) in 2015. She's still working on her instrument, by the way.

I wish I had the financial support she's got for this (say it softly) PR event.

If she weren't related to the original Amelia, it's for certain she would not have such backing. I thought that I had seen something about her goal to retrace the route of her namesake. If she does though, it will NOT be an accomplishment in the same league as the original.

If the original Amelia would have had just a cheapy GPS on board and the sattelites in the air to run it, she might still be alive. Of course she would probably be close to 100 if she were, but she would have had a chance to die of natural causes.

Dang! Tough crowd! Why can't we just cheer on another pilot pursuing cool endeavors?

Go, Amelia! :thumbsup:

"What the Grandson did was an impressive accomplishment. Flying across an ocean in a small plane even today is nothing to be scoffed at. That said, I think that there were some people that put the Grandsons accomplishment in the same category as Lindbergh's original flight. For me there is ABSOLUTELY no comparison."
Erik Lindbergh is also dealing with a significant disability. From http://www.charleslindbergh.com/history/erik.asp: "Though he leads an active lifestyle, Erik also suffers from rheumatoid arthritis (RA), a progressive autoimmune disease marked by pain, tenderness, and inflammation of the joints, that nearly caused him to give up his passion for aviation when he was diagnosed at the young age of 21. RA crippled Erik for 15 years and only recently has he been active again. During his worst years with RA, Erik was forced to use a cane due to the severe pain that made it almost impossible for him to walk. Today, with the help of a breakthrough biotech drug, Enbrel®, Erik has his life back and is in pursuit of his dreams. Using his experience with RA, he now serves as a spokesperson for the Arthritis Foundation, working to educate others about RA."

If I ever implied that Amelia flying around the world or young Lindbergh flying across the Atlantic was not a great accomplishment it was completely unintentional and I don't know where I indicated that.

What I AM saying, is that NIETHER of these accomplishments in todays aviation world rises to the level of the same accomplishments by their names sake.

I am also saying that VERY few people without such ancestry would ever have the financial backing or wherewithall for such an endeavor.

that's true ... nothing in my lineage would generate financial backing for much adventure ... unless I can recreate EriK the Red sailing into Duluth Harbor

If I were her - I sure the hell wouldn't be using a SR22 for that trip. Much rather it be a twin - which at least her ancestor had the smarts to do.

If I were her - I sure the hell wouldn't be using a SR22 for that trip. Much rather it be a twin - which at least her ancestor had the smarts to do.

I met a German couple clearing customs in Bellingham WA who were flying around the world in a P210N. Nice folks, interesting flight they made.

http://www.rtw2010-s3.de/

Wow, detailed site.

They had some good stories, I guess getting 100LL in Siberia isn't trivial. Requires pre-purchase of a few barrells from non-aviation folks and landing a P210N out on the tundra. They were waiting to clear customs, I was having an annoying Push to Talk fixed. Real interesting folks.

Hey.

Bill Signs has a raft of certified world records, nearly all secured in his Cessna 210, which has been on every continent (and yes, that includes Antarctica). He has flown around the world several times.

He is likely going to be coming to Gaston's with some interesting stuff, and has a great show he does about it. He'll be bringing the record-setting 210.

Here's one he did... http://www.friendshipflight.com/

that's true ... nothing in my lineage would generate financial backing for much adventure ... unless I can recreate EriK the Red sailing into Duluth Harbor

I am starting a quest to relive my family history subsistence farming in South Dakota.

Not. ;)

Been there. Grew up in Custer, college in Brookings, worked all over the state building power line.

Great-grandpa on grandma's side paved most of the original two lane highways up there the first time they were paved, they tell me.

Miller, Belle Fouche (sp), etc... heard a lot of town names from grandpa over the years up there. "Rapid" was of course, the "big city" to them. I've only seen Miller and Rapid. The huge gravestone with my last name on it in Miller is Grandpa's dad. He got in some kind of scandal and ex-communication from the Catholic church there after a divorce, which was taboo back then. When he died he had instructions to put him at the top of the hill with that huge headstone just to make the church mad that they didn't get any of the money.

Small town drama right there. Hoo! ;)

Grandpa drove machinery for grandma's dad for a few summers along with other jobs. Grandma finished college (rare for rural SD females back then) and then taught school in a one-room schoolhouse.

Grandpa sat out the WWII due to a badly broken ankle that never healed right (was fused).

Ironically his best friend went and flew troop gliders into Normandy on D-Day and crashed, like many did. His crew survived, and he... broke his ankle so badly it had to be fused.

They hobbled around together whenever they got the opportunity for the rest of their lives. Both lived past 90.

"Gus" loved to talk flying when he visited Denver. He married one of his nurses at the Army hospital. Sly dog. ;)

He didn't fly much after the war but you could tell he loved talking with me about it.

Ardith, his nurse, made him eat healthy and his favorite reason to come to Denver was that grandpa and he would make up some project that needed to get done and sneak off to "the store for parts" which was really whatever the closest diner with omelettes and fried potatoes.

Later grandpa and Gus drove trucks for Buckingham for 15 years and he and Gus team-drove for much of that.

Somewhere in there he also pulled "Gus" from a sewer they were working on once when he was overcome with "swamp gas" as they called it. Gus credited him with saving his life. Grandpa just said putting a rope around his waist and going in head-first and lifting Gus out "just had to be done." No fanfare.

After that, La Salle, CO to run a diner and then eventually Denver and another long career at the Coors porcelain plant.

I was quite surprised to end up in a co-ownership in the airplane with someone who still has lots of family up there.

79M visits South Dakota almost every year. She comes back with lots of dead bugs on her. Someone likes flying low. ;)

You guys need to get out more.

OK, back on track: Date Ginger, marry Mary Ann. It's one of life's constants.

Its obvious

mary-ann.jpg

or

tl05.jpg

How about both?

Last edited:
Exactly. Who doesn't like their lady to a have a little bit of naughty in her?

ME! May 10th I will have been married to the same great lady for 38 years. She's never been arrested. Never been drunk. Never done any kind of drugs beyond an aspirin or antibiotics. She keeps herself in reasonably good shape and helped me raise two of the greatest kids that ever walked.

BTW, that Mary Ann mug shot was from when she was picked up for drug posession. I expect that has something to do with the grin.

Too bad she couldn't come up with that story at the time she was stopped. Kind of interesting someone confessed at a later date.

Thanks for posting the link.

Too bad she couldn't come up with that story at the time she was stopped. Kind of interesting someone confessed at a later date.

Thanks for posting the link.
Well she probably did, but until the other party comes forward, they're going to assume that something in her car is hers, regardless of what she claims. In other words, she's still taking a trip downtown. The real lesson for her is do deny them permission to search the vehicle!

Well she probably did, but until the other party comes forward, they're going to assume that something in her car is hers, regardless of what she claims. In other words, she's still taking a trip downtown. The real lesson for her is do deny them permission to search the vehicle!

Then they'll come up with some reason to carry her downtown, and impound her vehicle, and search it anyway. :rolleyes:

If I ever implied that Amelia flying around the world or young Lindbergh flying across the Atlantic was not a great accomplishment it was completely unintentional and I don't know where I indicated that.

What I AM saying, is that NIETHER of these accomplishments in todays aviation world rises to the level of the same accomplishments by their names sake.

I am also saying that VERY few people without such ancestry would ever have the financial backing or wherewithall for such an endeavor.

Something tells me if she wasnt an attractive lady she wouldnt have the financial backing, either.

Well I'm not discounting her story as not true, but I'm not 100% convinced either. I'm not so sure that denying the police permission to search your car is a really great idea. Do that and they might rip it to shreds cutting the interior and tires apart.

I know of that happening many years ago to someone who was as innocent as a new born baby and had no recourse. All he could do was put the car back together as best he could.

Well I'm not discounting her story as not true, but I'm not 100% convinced either. I'm not so sure that denying the police permission to search your car is a really great idea. Do that and they might rip it to shreds cutting the interior and tires apart.

I know of that happening many years ago to someone who was as innocent as a new born baby and had no recourse. All he could do was put the car back together as best he could.
They'd need a hell of a reason to be able to rip the car into shreds. Most of the time when they ask for permission to search, if you say no, they'll more or less say "OK" in a grumpy manner. Unless the circumstances really are to the point to where they can do it anyways. At that point they're going to rip the car into pieces regardless of what you say. They'll always ask first though, just because there is a chance you might say 'yes', that could be very helpful in court. So what I'm saying is that saying "no" isn't going to hurt you.

It always amazed me the number of times on ride alongs that people that were pretty obviously trying to hide something would permit a search that would then turn up what they were trying to hide. OTOH there were some other folks that simple said 'no' and that was the end of it.

They'd need a hell of a reason to be able to rip the car into shreds. Most of the time when they ask for permission to search, if you say no, they'll more or less say "OK" in a grumpy manner. Unless the circumstances really are to the point to where they can do it anyways. At that point they're going to rip the car into pieces regardless of what you say. They'll always ask first though, just because there is a chance you might say 'yes', that could be very helpful in court. So what I'm saying is that saying "no" isn't going to hurt you...

The deputy's drug-sniffing dog has alerted.

attachment.php

I don't need it, but if I did, I'd get a warrant in minutes.

Attachments

• pets.com-logo.jpg
    pets.com-logo.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 64
In keeping with the age-old debate of Ginger or MaryAnn let's make this the aviation equivalent.

Ariel or Amelia Rose?

Let's try to keep it aviation-specific as much as possible? Avoid the tedious and overused "well, I wouldn't kick her out of bed" context.

Susan Oliver:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Oliver

Susan_Oliver_as_Vina_the_Orion_Slave_Girl_%28screenshot_from_Star_Trek_episode_%22the_Cage%22%29.jpg

Captain Pike made a big mistake. ;)

Susan_Oliver_aircraft.png

Last edited:
Back