Ghetto engine heat preservation

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
my Checkride is tomorrow. Going to be about 20F when I land. I hangar my plane in a 50F hangar and never thought about “ cold start” until now. Don’t have those cool custom cowl “pillow plugs”.
If oral doesn’t take too long then engine will still be warm. But what if I have like a 3 hour oral??
Will still be somewhat warm right? I was just thinking of leaving cowl flap closed. Is it ok to just put a couple of hand towel loosely in the cowl opening. not going to be windy.
I might be going Crazy at this point. I’ve waited a long time for this ride and have had multiple delays for various reason. I’m starting to get batty. I convinced myself this afternoon that everything I know about VOR’s was wrong, lol.

20F is fine, just prime plenty. Would I do this all the time? No. But once is no big deal.

Bring an old comforter with you. Keep everything closed up, throw the comforter over the cowl and stuff it in the plugs. Won't be perfect but it will save some heat in there.

Bring an old comforter with you. Keep everything closed up, throw the comforter over the cowl and stuff it in the plugs. Won't be perfect but it will save some heat in there.

And, if possible, park the airplane facing into the wind.

This is a change from your routine - and during a test - so you will be nervous; prone to overlooking things.
Be sure to take your time and remove every last towel, plug, blanket during preflight, should you decide to use them.

If you are testing at your home airport, leave it in the hangar until the flight portion. If you are at another airport, the oil will still be relatively warm after 3 hours @ 20F.

Thanks. Agree that it will be a change in my routine - so new things would be a mistake! It’s not at my base. I’m flying there so she’ll be warmed up. If the opportunity arises to hangar it or heat it will do. Otherwise will park it in the sun and ace my oral to get back out flying ASAP!! ;)

Thanks. Agree that it will be a change in my routine - so new things would be a mistake! It’s not at my base. I’m flying there so she’ll be warmed up. If the opportunity arises to hangar it or heat it will do. Otherwise will park it in the sun and ace my oral to get back out flying ASAP!! ;)
Good luck! We'll be sending you good juju!

I’ve been seeing all these threads about how you’re preparing and pushing back. I’m sure you’ll do well.

Walmart sleeping back over the cowl and infront to cover the inlets, more than enough to hold the heart for a oral.

Depending on the engine 20f is on the edge of even needing a preheat, and that’s presuming the engine completely cold soaks, which I doubt would happen in your case.

http://reiffpreheat.com/Continental SIL 03-1 Cold Wx Ops.pdf

Perhaps I’m just paranoid, but I am afraid I might miss something stuffed in the cowl. Kind of like when a surgeon leaves behind a sponge. I would use cowl plugs with the rope wrapped around the prop or nothing at all. I knew a member of a family that died due to cowl plugs being overlooked during preflight - engine overheated and the plane crashed attempting the impossible turn killing all 4 aboard.

Last edited:

Walmart sleeping back over the cowl and infront to cover the inlets, more than enough to hold the heart for a oral....

I’ve done this and it works fantastic. The only thing I would add is to bring two long bungee straps (the kind with plastic ends to avoid scratching) to wrap around the cowl and hold the comforter/ sleeping bag in place.

I don't think my oral prtion of the checkride was more than 15-20 minutes - back in 1990.

Shutting down a warm engine in 20*? The engine will retain some heat for a few hours. Cylinders cool quickly but the mass in the crankcase holds heat. Your oil temp will demonstrate that as soon as you start it. Would an insulated cover help to retain heat? Sure, that's exactly what they do. The better fitting to the cowl to close any openings where air exchange will occur the better. Just like why you zip up a coat on a chilly day.

Last edited:
can we watch you crank....and crank.....with fuel dripping out the bottom? :lol:

I don't think my oral prtion of the checkride was more than 15-20 minutes - back in 1990.
You were short changed. No way to tell nav knowledge in that time. Mine was 2.5 hours, just a few years after yours.

So....
Lesson to be learned...physically touch every document before you go
Wed and Friday I reviewed my logbook- endorsements, hours, airplane logs, POH, registration, airworthiness cert, IACRA form, medical, written exam results, DPE fee, maps, approach plates, Af/d, FAR/AIM, foggles...
What did I forget???

Photo identification is missing from the list, also don't see the ACS listed.

80BDB78C-6E0C-4CD1-822A-77AE3A227D05.jpeg 80BDB78C-6E0C-4CD1-822A-77AE3A227D05.jpeg If you are worried about forgetting plugs- wrap it up, like folks said a sleeping bag or whatnot. I use a flannel fitted sheet then toss an old comforter over top in the hanger.

If I was the examiner I would be impressed you are taking good care of your bird!

Good luck, let us know how it went...

Attachments

• 975D8420-75EE-4361-A40E-843FBE429E88.jpeg
    975D8420-75EE-4361-A40E-843FBE429E88.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 15
  • 5FC15892-67F1-41A6-B126-06D11783E4E6.jpeg
    5FC15892-67F1-41A6-B126-06D11783E4E6.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 15
Well.... Unless you forgot an aircraft supplement - page Λ-11 from the ACS says you forgot:

Letter / Notice of discontinuance or disapproval

Approved school graduation certificate

Pilot Certificate

Flight plan forum and flight logs.

Weight & Balance? Although that is often with the POH in a binder. I'll probably face-palm after you tell me, but what is ACS?
Airman Cert Standards. Replaced the whatever you used to call it that lists the tasks for the ride.

Well.... Unless you forgot an aircraft supplement - page Λ-11 from the ACS says you forgot:

Letter / Notice of discontinuance or disapproval

Approved school graduation certificate

Pilot Certificate

Flight plan forum and flight logs.

Bingo. My pilot cert. always behind my Drivers license in my wallet. Must have taken it out to fill out IACRA or something and just forgot. I grabbed my wallet along with the other 20 lbs of crap and never considered it. I pulled out my wallet at ride and handed over my photo ID and saw a blank space behind it- I knew I was boned. Embarrassing. Bush league. Wife asked if I had everything yesterday- said yes. (Ugh another I told so moment). DPE said it happens- can’t imagine. But I guess so. I’ve prepped so many times and gotten ready. I know I had it in there one or two cherckride Preps ago- somehow I must have moved it.

But are you going to refuse to go back to that DPE and try to get a check ride with the FAA?

So....
Lesson to be learned...physically touch every document before you go
Wed and Friday I reviewed my logbook- endorsements, hours, airplane logs, POH, registration, airworthiness cert, IACRA form, medical, written exam results, DPE fee, maps, approach plates, Af/d, FAR/AIM, foggles...
What did I forget???
Your IACRA Number (if its not on the form)

Re: Engine. I am pretty sure you could just leave it on the ramp and it will start pretty much the same as it did coming from the 50deg hangar. The oil and lower end will probably still be warmer than in the 50deg hangar.

The other plane that flew with us yesterday just stuffed towels into the nose openings. When we landed it was +6F and when we left it was probably +11F and both planes started fine. We have the nice orange nose plugs for our plane and it was still really warm inside (cowl flaps were closed the entire day). No blanket (but will get one for next winter).

You know you could just use towels. To not forget, place a 3x5 card on the yoke right after you land before you even get out to place them in the nose plugs. When you do your preflight, most preflights have you turning on the lights and checking fuel early in the list. At that point grab the card and walk directly up front and remove the towels. Then do the rest of your pre-flight normal and forget about this part for the rest of the day.

Be comfortable during the check ride. Use layers and be nice warm for all the outside stuff. When you hop in, peel off a layer so you don't get too warm during the flying. In our Skylane at air temps down to -10F I wear what I would on a long winter car ride, jeans and long sleeve t-shirt. Otherwise its too darned hot. Of course, warm jacket, boots, etc are in the back of the plane.

Good luck, you seem more than ready :) Tell us how it went!!!

But are you going to refuse to go back to that DPE and try to get a check ride with the FAA?
Lol. Heck no!! I knew my fate was sealed as soon as I saw I didn’t have it. All on me. I am rescheduling as soon as I find it. He was nice about it. In fact he reviewed the basic checkride process. Told me what he expects. Also reviewed why guy yesterday failed.

At least you did not forget to bring the airplane with you....

Don't let it bother you, you now have a little better understanding of what the checkride will be like.

I know a pilot candidate that left the keys to the plane in his pocket and him and the examiner were belted in the plane ready to start when it was discovered the keys were not readily available.

Yes, I was a little embarrassed...

21B9CA78-08D6-411A-8432-79A4058BB05D.jpeg 4D277194-AFE8-45A7-B52E-CE08A8B6F78D.jpeg So the plot thickens!!!!
I get home, anothe club member was looking to go out for late lunch. I text him my plight and leave plane out for him.
He goes up and comes back with this on the left wing. Dipped and is 8 gallon lower on left side and right tank always previously pulled harder.

If you follow my sordid tale... you’d know We just replaced the right fuel bladder after 36 years of good service...10 days ago. Now apparently the left is leaking...a lot. He said he was doing some steep sightseeing turns.

At this point I’ll just order a replacement license. Will get that around same time left tank bladder is replaced.

My wife swears me not Having license is a sign I wasn’t supposed to fly. Hard pill to swallow flying home CAVU without a bump or a breeze. But imagine That tank goes tits up with DPE in the plane with me. Maybe she is right.

Overcoming difficult issues and situations is part of the job of a pilot... I certainly understand the disheartening nature of this, but if you truly love aviation fight do it.

If that is a standard trainer and you can find something very similar go up in said similar rental for 1-2hrs with the CFI and get your check ride behind you. At this point you are so close that if there is similar equipment available you should focus on the checkride and not your plane. Look at it this way:

Scenario # 1: You find a similar plane, get checked out and rent it for the check ride. Its like an extra $600 out of your pocket...AND YOU HAVE YOUR PPL :) Then you fix your plane.

Scenario # 2: You order some delayed license, wait on a replacement bladder, something else is found while in there. Weeks turn into months and you don't have your PPL or a plane to fly.

Own it!

If that is a standard trainer and you can find something very similar go up in said similar rental for 1-2hrs with the CFI and get your check ride behind you. At this point you are so close that if there is similar equipment available you should focus on the checkride and not your plane. Look at it this way:

Scenario # 1: You find a similar plane, get checked out and rent it for the check ride. Its like an extra $600 out of your pocket...AND YOU HAVE YOUR PPL :) Then you fix your plane.

Scenario # 2: You order some delayed license, wait on a replacement bladder, something else is found while in there. Weeks turn into months and you don't have your PPL or a plane to fly.

Own it!
It’s a 182. I have my PPL, this was my IFR ride. I considered renting a different plane for my ride when the right bladder went but weather was sideways and they fixed it rather quickly.
I’ll see how fast I can find/replace my license. I read somewhere U used to be able to get a temp from FDSO but not sure if that’s true anymore. Probably will be a race to the finish so to speak.
I get it. Aviation is weird. A test in patience. The good thing was I got to meet DPE and sit down and talk a bit. When I heard how the guy failed yesterday it was reassuring to me as I don’t fly like that!
Will regroup tomorrow. Formulate a new plan and execute. When I pull this off I’ll piece together all parts in a nice post...hopefully soon!!

Okay, sorry about the assumption of PPL. If this was for your PPL and something like a 172 I would stand by my recommendation. But you can already legally fly (PPL) so that first hurdle is behind you. And its a lot tougher to find a 182 to rent on short notice unless you are up in the mountains somewhere and even then it might not have all the IFR goodies in the panel that you are used to for your checkride. In short I don't have my IR and shouldn't be telling you what to do.

Okay, sorry about the assumption of PPL. If this was for your PPL and something like a 172 I would stand by my recommendation. But you can already legally fly (PPL) so that first hurdle is behind you. And its a lot tougher to find a 182 to rent on short notice unless you are up in the mountains somewhere and even then it might not have all the IFR goodies in the panel that you are used to for your checkride. In short I don't have my IR and shouldn't be telling you what to do.

Concur on all

Back