Getting a yellow tag / form 8130-3

ShaneWhite

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Shane White
I bought a used Bendix King KX-165 NAV/COMM with glideslope (28 volt) for my aircraft. It came out of a similar aircraft. My original radio is a KX-155 (with glideslope) - but the 155 has a separate glideslope receiver (it is integrated into the 165) so the swap requires an avionics guy.

My avionics guy will not install it without a Yellow tag or Form 8130-3 (Authorized release certificate). The A&P that removed it did not test it or certify it BEFORE he pulled it, and he won't do it after the fact, so I need to find a place to send it to get it tested / certified and tagged so I can have it safely and legally installed into my aircraft.

Where is a good place to send it?

Thanks!

Shane

so I need to find a place to send it to get it tested / certified and tagged so I can have it safely and legally installed into my aircraft.
Only certain entities can issue an 8130-3. A&Ps can not. So you'll need to stick to looking for a repair station (CRS) for your work. See if there is a local CRS or contact any of the larger ones who advertise on TAP. And its probably going to cost you a few nickels for the bench checks to issue the 8130. As to needing an 8130 to legally install it theres no regulatory requirement. Some CRS manuals have requirements for 8130 or equivelant but it mainly falls to the installer to determine serviceability.

Thank you. With no paper trail, my avionics guy doesn't want to install it. I'll ask around locally and see if there is anyone that can install and determine serviceability or if there's a local CRS. I tried to contact Bendix-King (which is not part of Honeywell) and their service is garbage so far. Website is a hot mess, and I called and talked to a human, but I could barely understand them (language barrier). That alone is a good reason to stick to Garmin and other companies with good support. It's kind of sad how Bendix-King was the GA cadillac back in the 80's and early 90's and then looking at what they are today.

bevanaviation.com

Be aware, sellers can easily miss a lamp out or dimmer INOP on used equipment like this.

It was my understanding that you only need the 8130 when exporting outside the US.

I believe that is the CYA regulation.
Maybe. If his avionics guy works for a CRS he may have no choice. On the other hand, if he is an A&P who does avionics work it could be for any reason to include CYA. When I installed used avionics the customer always knew if the radio didn't pass the final OEM function/operational checks there could be additional costs before I would sign it off. Some guys just prefer to not to mess with used stuff.
It was my understanding that you only need the 8130 when exporting outside the US.
Its the only time its mandatory to use for certain parts. However, the FAA encourages its use domestically and some providers do. However in the case of the OP seems more along the lines of the guy not wanting the work as obtaining an 8130 in this situation is usually cost prohibitive or difficult depending on location. Even when purchasing new equipment some vendors will charge you extra if you want an 8130-3 with your part.

This is a good question because the FAA does not have a good black and white regulation for when a Form 8130 is required. An FAA regulation that covers the concept of why we keep records on components is FAR 43.10. Another document that touches on why and how maintenance release Form 8130 are needed is FAA Order 8130.21H.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-C/part-43/section-43.10
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/FAA_Order_8130.21H.pdf

What you can learn when acquiring 8 credit hours each year towards an IA renewal... The FAA requires all components new, used, overhauled or anything else to have a signed document that describes work performed. Certified aircraft flying under Part 91 are to follow the same rules on parts tracking as commercial FAR Part 135, 137, 121 and exporting aircraft.

The simplest explanation is critical parts and components have failures and the signed maintenance release document identifies and informs when replacement/inspection is due. Many parts have 'Recommended' and 'Mandatory' replacement/inspection at certain times or conditions. Certified aircraft parts need tracking and record keeping tools. The FAA Form 8130 is one of those tools.

Although you would not think that a radio would have a time life? One example of time life of an avionics components is IFR certification of altitude devices like an Encoder and Altimeter. Each two years they are re-certified for IFR. You know the two year transponder inspection requirement and the ELT battery replacement. Someday down the road the FAA may discover that the King KX-165 has to be inspected so everything needs a document for traceability.

Back