Georgia POA denizens...

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
Hide your women and lock up your sheep. Your friendly neighborhood Steingar is going to be in your environs soon enough. Plan is to fly down to OPN on Sunday to pick up my new to me Mooney. I'll be knee deep in pre buy Monday and will be flying back to sunny Ohio at some point thereafter.

Congrats. If you need someone to do a prebuy or have problems on the way back, DNN up in NW GA is a service center. All those guys do is work on Mooneys all day.

Congrats. If you need someone to do a prebuy or have problems on the way back, DNN up in NW GA is a service center. All those guys do is work on Mooneys all day.

I had talked to Joe and actually wanted his shop to do a pre buy, but I don't think its going to work. Because this is a trade I don't quite have the leeway I would if I were purchasing it outright. Still, the bird sounds like its in awesome shape and did just get its annual inspection, so if I have to write big maintenance checks at least its a year off.

Hide your women and lock up your sheep. Your friendly neighborhood Steingar is going to be in your environs soon enough. Plan is to fly down to OPN on Sunday to pick up my new to me Mooney. I'll be knee deep in pre buy Monday and will be flying back to sunny Ohio at some point thereafter.

Congrats on the new to you bird...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ps... You into sheep too..:idea:.:idea:.....:D

Glad it finally worked our for you!
I'm around. Let me know if I can help in any way.

careful, the GOP presidential hopefuls are in town.

Eeek! Thankfully the 496 will show me the TFRs (shows the ones for athletic events, by Odin am I going to miss that thing!) and if there is one for the GOP parade. I'm certain Lockmart will know all about it when I get my briefing. There shouldn't be, these guys aren't even candidates at this point. I can't believe they'd rate SS protection. Trump can probably afford better anyway.

Nice running into you today. Good luck with the Mooney. I took a quick peek before it started raining too hard. Nice looking airplane!

Hope my coworkers at Epps are taking good care of you.

Safe flight home if I don't see you before you leave.

Dave

The Epps guys are taking care of the awesome Mooney. With luck, another hour of training tomorrow I can fly it home. It is gorgeous (though has a few squawks). Got right back before it started storming. The Johnson bar was the most difficult part of learning it. I'll let you guys know when I arrive safely home with it. Sorry I didn't meet too many POA people other than Dave.

Dang, I'm out of town in Boston working a convention or else I would have been at OPN working as a high velocity amusement ride taking tandems on skydives.

Hope the plane gives you many hours of enjoyment. Like anything, the difference in speed will get comfortable soon enough. Just keep processing your next item on your mental to do list.

Congratulations!

Andy

Congrats on the Mooney. The Johnson Bar takes just a little getting used to. The first few hours it's like wrestling a snake in the cockpit. But very quickly you'll be in love with it. If I step up to a J or K, I'd miss the J-Bar the most. It's reliable, simple and quick. You'll love it.

Congrats on the Mooney...flying at RV-10 speeds now eh? We flew down to KGVL Friday and back home today. 1.9 hrs and 21 gallons each way. Weather was VFR, although not the best.

Photos tonight. Flew back at 155 mph burning 8.3 gallons/hour. Something to be said for a 50-year-old airplane that does 20 miles to the gallon. Yeah, the J-bar was the toughest part to figure out, though my landings still suck and likely will for a while. Still, now that I have it mostly tamed I am glad I insisted on a manual gear. I don't think there's much simpler, and the swing really wasn't all that hard, it was getting it locked in that gave me all the trouble (and still does a bit).

Picking my way through the mountains of Georgia was tough, and showed the disadvantage of a faster aircraft. Not as easy dodging cumulogranite and obstructions to the visibility thereof in a ship that does 140 knots. I did throttle back to a reduced velocity, but the Mooney just doesn't like to fly slow. Once past that it was pretty easy, and the autopilot did most of the work. Easiest flight I've yet had. I have one more hour of solo (as of this writing) to knock off before I can carry passengers without angering my insurer.

I LOVE the Mooney. The breed isn't for everyone, it truly is small on the inside. But damn is it fast. I doubt I'll ever be able to land gear up, I can't slow it down without swinging the gear. It has its squawks, though not many. Missed a bit of corrosion in the pre-buy, and I've got flickering lights in comm 1. Finally figured out how to work the stupid VFR GPS (same model as in my old airplane). Having an autopilot is NICE.

Congrats Michael, that is fantastic!!! Good luck with it. M20C, correct???

I've thought the same thing about gear ups in a mooney. I have a hard time slowing down without dropping gear but obviously it happens. Recently I dropped the gear but didn't have it 100% secure. My gear up alarm sounded on base turn.

Sorry we missed each other. I know of a couple of sheep that were asking about you.

Congrats Michael, that is fantastic!!! Good luck with it. M20C, correct???

It is indeed.

I've thought the same thing about gear ups in a mooney. I have a hard time slowing down without dropping gear but obviously it happens. Recently I dropped the gear but didn't have it 100% secure. My gear up alarm sounded on base turn.

Unfortunately I know a little too much about that from the other direction, not getting it secured on the way up. You can see when you bring it up, so it isn't hard to to get it locked down. Way harder to see it locked up. Moreover, when dropping the gear you can use two hands to get the $^%#$^%$@^!! handle to lock into place.

Sorry we missed each other. I know of a couple of sheep that were asking about you.

Same here, but it is what it is. No doubt the little town of Thomaston will never be the same. But the resident Ovidians are once again safe, as are the wimmin'.

It is indeed.

Unfortunately I know a little too much about that from the other direction, not getting it secured on the way up. You can see when you bring it up, so it isn't hard to to get it locked down. Way harder to see it locked up. Moreover, when dropping the gear you can use two hands to get the $^%#$^%$@^!! handle to lock into place.

Same here, but it is what it is. No doubt the little town of Thomaston will never be the same. But the resident Ovidians are once again safe, as are the wimmin'.

According to Gordon Baxter there's a simple trick of pushing slightly on the yoke just for a second as you latch the gear. Dips the plane slightly but uses the inertia of the gear to latch it. I've no mooney time but it made sense to read. It might be worth a try.

Congratulations!
John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

According to Gordon Baxter there's a simple trick of pushing slightly on the yoke just for a second as you latch the gear. Dips the plane slightly but uses the inertia of the gear to latch it.

That definitely works.

Also, watch the area on the floor that the Johnson bar latches into. Lots of busted knuckles if anything gets in the way.

Finally, I did have a friend gear up in his Mooney. He had had to do a go around and somehow got out of sequence and forgot he had reflexively stowed the gear.

So, it can happen.

According to Gordon Baxter there's a simple trick of pushing slightly on the yoke just for a second as you latch the gear. Dips the plane slightly but uses the inertia of the gear to latch it. I've no mooney time but it made sense to read. It might be worth a try.

Congratulations!
John

Thanks. I haven't really had any trouble raising the gear so long as I keep the speed low. Get too fast and boy does it become difficult!

Also, watch the area on the floor that the Johnson bar latches into. Lots of busted knuckles if anything gets in the way.

First flight solo my chart fell off the seat and wrapped around the bar as I was trying to lower it. Fun, fun, fun.

Finally, I did have a friend gear up in his Mooney. He had had to do a go around and somehow got out of sequence and forgot he had reflexively stowed the gear.

So, it can happen.

Oh, I'm certain it can. But I'd have a hard time getting slowed down form the descent without the gear.

dct7hGtPMrlmE2-j-xVZuQnRUZX8DkiaK9tU1xXAFZs=w1856-h1233-no

idyw_Ryqu6HIA-aaQRVKztA_1lIUlqMmVrKCCXSUdog=w967-h642-no

lS1JzAxL3oOBBzccKpxUKK17RRssrId7UC1r9KzbkTk=w967-h642-no

nwO3uezBP-499HrH2Hj-VvgWcmeU6xd22PohZRJZz2k=w427-h642-no

IV6zu2LXnbqBE4wUhET00ebLTbpKbkOSPFFc_eoufpg=w427-h642-no

Maybe a good place to again post this recent flight, made with a friend from his strip near Lake Placid, FL (Kings Port):

The last segment is a good example of determining one's touchdown point as that spot in the windshield that does not move, but just gets bigger and bigger. I could have sworn we were way high, but it worked out.

Would look better if it were White, Maize, and Blue, but that really goes without saying. :rofl:

Congrats on the upgrade.

Would look better if it were White, Maize, and Blue, but that really goes without saying. :rofl:

You out of anyone should NOT be commenting on the exterior aesthetics of an airplane!

:D

Very nice Mooney! I'm jealous!

Enjoy!
John

Back