Gaston's update

You guys ever notice how cool this whole thing is, and there is no sponsoring organization? Just a whole lotta folks who enjoy the company and do their parts.
WHAT, I thought POA was the sponsoring Org.
No Sponsor ....................I'm not coming (lol)
Well truthfully if i have the money i will be there again this year.
And I do Enjoy everyones company there
Specially flying Greg and Chip's Planes
Dave G:blueplane:

We are going, he doesn't know what he is talking about.....:D

Crap! Krill girl just took my bunk. Dang

Actually its a great trip. Best part of the 9hr and FIFTEEN MINUTE FLIGHT was listening to some good ole Kentucky Banjo picken bluegrass on the ADF in Daves Warrior. That and the polar bars and RC colas at Elizabethtown KY.

Hmmm, what is the smallest plane that can make the trip from Alaska in less than two full days but is capable of landing on Gaston's strip? :dunno:

Besides a V-22 that is - I'm not sure one is available to me.

Any Mooney.

Kevin, What day are you planning on flying over. I am l------l this close to talking my wife into going (with me?). If so we can fly over the same time.

Kevin, What day are you planning on flying over. I am l------l this close to talking my wife into going (with me?). If so we can fly over the same time.
Not sure yet Joe. Last year we launched from JWN about 10:00 am local. Let's make sure we keep in touch and we'll caravan over. If last year is any indication, we'll stop for fuel around Waverly (cheap fuel) as Rich will be flying up from Atlanta to pick me up. This may be a good place to meet up for the flight over.
If your wife doesn't want to go, you're welcome to fly with us.

Last edited:
bring your own. I dont know that there any places built in to tie down, but bring stakes or screws or whatever you use and some ropes.

We are hoping to make it this time. Some things came up at the last minute last time and we lost our deposit, so I'm not making reservations. We are going to make a day trip from my inlaw's house in Poplar Bluff, Missouri if we can't get a room.

Kennett, Missouri has a GREAT little airport. I fueled up the plane there when we were in Poplar Bluff over Labor Day. It has a brand new runway and FBO building, besides having the cheapest fuel in the area. I highly recommend stopping there.

bring your own. I dont know that there any places built in to tie down, but bring stakes or screws or whatever you use and some ropes.

Speaking of which, I still have a hammer that somebody left behind last year. Maybe it wasn't one of us?

Kennett, Missouri has a GREAT little airport. I fueled up the plane there when we were in Poplar Bluff over Labor Day. It has a brand new runway and FBO building, besides having the cheapest fuel in the area. I highly recommend stopping there.

I'll second (or third) that idea! I stumbled onto Kennett via AirNav last fall when planning a flight to Alabama. I used it again over Christmas when returning to Bama. A few GPS approaches to get you in when necessary and Memphis and it's 'suburbs' are close enough to use as filing alternates. GREAT new FBO building with 24 access via directly line to police dispatch that can unlock the door remotely. 24 hr CHEAP self serve 100LL.

-Chris

Crap! Krill girl just took my bunk. Dang

Actually its a great trip. Best part of the 9hr and FIFTEEN MINUTE FLIGHT was listening to some good ole Kentucky Banjo picken bluegrass on the ADF in Daves Warrior. That and the polar bars and RC colas at Elizabethtown KY.

"Krill girl".........Thanks!

Are there activities for kids. If so I have a 6yr old that I would bring but if not I can detour to St.Louis and drop him off with his cousin (he like to visit them anyway).

Are there activities for kids. If so I have a 6yr old that I would bring but if not I can detour to St.Louis and drop him off with his cousin (he like to visit them anyway).

Well, there is fishing, a nice pool and a gameroom (vid games). I am not certain I'd want to just turn him free, but there are enough folks around that a reasonably-planned "POA Neighborhood Watch" could help keep an eye on 'em.

My son will be there, but he'll be 12.

Come to think of it, if we have enough kid-equipped folks coming, we could look into hiring a kid-watcher to watch kids. We oughta think about that.

Well, there is fishing, a nice pool and a gameroom (vid games). I am not certain I'd want to just turn him free, but there are enough folks around that a reasonably-planned "POA Neighborhood Watch" could help keep an eye on 'em.

My son will be there, but he'll be 12.

Come to think of it, if we have enough kid-equipped folks coming, we could look into hiring a kid-watcher to watch kids. We oughta think about that.

The number one rule being that IS a runway out there! Stay by the fence! No horsing around out there.

I say that as I was surprised as I lolly-gagged back across the runway from the plane that that guy who was taxiing in the dark actually took off!

Barry, if needed, we have an extra bed. Don't worry about losing the deposit as we you don't need to make a reservation.

Thanks Kevin. I'm not too worried though as there are usually a few cabins that spring up at the last minute due to unforseen cancellations. The bigger question is can I get away!

no worries, most of us act like we are six.

I saw on their site that there is a pool and fishing. Reservations are made

I saw on their site that there is a pool and fishing. Reservations are made

...also a nature trail and some critters.

And a whole lot of wacky pilots.

Oh boy, decision time.

I was going fly down in my plane with Jesse and Tony and let them stay in my cabin. Now they're going to fly themselves and I'm not interested in flying down there by myself. I'm giving serious consideration to bringing the wife and kids, they had a great time last summer at Gaston's and would love to come back. Only problem is that I'll have to rescind my housing offer to the others. Anyone be able to make room for Tony and Jesse?

How many people are really going to bring their kids?

Some pics from our trip last year that I never got around to posting.

James Dean

Attachments

• B e a utiful.jpg
    B e a utiful.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 158
  • james gastons.jpg
    james gastons.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 25
  • James_headset.jpg
    James_headset.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Kids with the trout.jpg
    Kids with the trout.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 26
  • skylar trout.jpg
    skylar trout.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Skylar_gastons.jpg
    Skylar_gastons.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 157
  • gastons_4296n.jpg
    gastons_4296n.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 27
How many people are really going to bring their kids?

I will most likely have my daughter with me. She will be 12 by then. My wife's family lives in Poplar Bluff, MO, which is a short flight from Gaston's. I'm not sure if she will stay and visit there or come to Gaston's with me.

James - Jesse and I will find couches or floors to sleep on, we are young. Bring your kids.

James - Jesse and I will find couches or floors to sleep on, we are young. Bring your kids.
Tony, no need. Leslie and I have a cabin with a Queen for us and two singles. You two are more than welcome to use the singles. (Presuming you don't want the Queen :)).

as long as jesse doesnt snore :) ill plan on staying with you now grant!

Woohoo!!! For some reason, I was thinking that we had two trips planned for the summer and that Gaston's was the #2 priority. I just asked Rachel "Where are we planning a trip this summer?" She said, "We're going to Gastons!" So apparently Gaston's was a #1 priority and I just didn't realize it.

Now I just gotta find room for both of us to lay our weary heads at night and make sure I have the plane marked off on dad's calendar. :)

Gaston's here we come! :yes: :D :D

-Chris

as long as jesse doesnt snore :) ill plan on staying with you now grant!
Don't worry, if he snores (too badly, at least) we'll soon come to the realization that a) he's young and b) that someone needs to watch closely over the planes in case some renegade trout sneaks out of the river after anything that FLIES :rofl:.

:D Andy, you crack me up. :D

It sure would be great if you could join us at Gaston's.

It would be nice. I doubt a cross country in my 150 is what Laurie has in mind for us this summer. Wedding plans are more like it. :)

It would be nice. I doubt a cross country in my 150 is what Laurie has in mind for us this summer. Wedding plans are more like it. :)
Hey!! I have an idea!!! What about a wedding at Gaston's!!!!! Nick can perform the ceremony! What a great idea!!! A wedding at a fly-in!

Hey!! I have an idea!!! What about a wedding at Gaston's!!!!! Nick can perform the ceremony! What a great idea!!! A wedding at a fly-in!

Where was that idea when we were putting down our deposit on the house on the Cape?

EDIT: And would the wedding be before or after the Ron Levy/Ed Guthrie ultimate fighting match?

Last edited:
Where was that idea when we were putting down our deposit on the house on the Cape?
LOL! Oops, I'm too late. Sorry! :D

Maybe someone else will volunteer to get married at Gaston's. It can actually be quite a romantic place.

Remember, there was a big ol' wedding going on last year, during the fly-in.

Back