Gaston's update

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
I just checked with Gaston's for an update to give y'all. They still have about 8-10 cabins with a kitchenette, and 8-10 motel-type rooms left on Friday and Saturday nights.

I've reserved sections of the restaurant for the Sunday brunch, and for dinner Saturday.

Someone contacted me a few days ago about room reservations (so I thought I'd better get some recent numbers), and then signed up for our fly-in. He flies a Hiperbipe, btw, and I already have 'first dibbies' on a ride in it. :)

So, what happens at Gaston? Is it as organized as AirVenture, or do y'all just fly in and show off your airplanes, and just sit around, talk and have fun?

320 NM from Dallas ... let me check with my flying buddy Bill.

So, what happens at Gaston? Is it as organized as AirVenture, or do y'all just fly in and show off your airplanes, and just sit around, talk and have fun?

If I had to choose between going to AirVenture or going to Gaston's for the fly in, I'd go to Gaston's. It's great fun and I enjoy seeing so many folks from the board. Lots of flyin' and lyin'. PS, bring your sun screen.

You can get a feel for it here: Gaston's Fly In Site
Click on "Past Fly Ins" for photos and video.

Here's a video of the 2005 fly in.
2005 video

We also eat, drink beer, eat, watch movies, eat, fish, and eat.

What else ya want? :rolleyes:

We spend a lot of time flying around, taking each other flying, getting some instruction, and we also critique each other's flying. Some of us fly upside down. And then we fly some more.

Some people go fishing, swimming, hiking, boating...stuff like that.

Hope you can join us. :)

We spend a lot of time flying around, taking each other flying, getting some instruction, and we also critique each other's flying. Some of us fly upside down. And then we fly some more.

Some people go fishing, swimming, hiking, boating...stuff like that.

Hope you can join us. :)

We'll see. There's still the matter of getting my PPL and then getting the money required to fly to Gaston and back with the club's 180.

I got the "OK" nod from my wife last night, so we hope to be there. It is alos her B-Day weekend, so I am amazed she agreed.

Went in to the boss yesterday to turn in my two-weeks notice so I would be able to take classes this semester. He convinced me that he wants me to keep working as long as possible so I can train my replacement and he'll work around my school schedule.

So.. That means $$ should be a little easier to pool this spring, which makes Gaston's attendance much more likely for me and Rachel. WOOHOO!!!

-Chris

Not sure yet. There's the Cherokee Owner's the next weekend after that, and then I am leaving for Alaska in July....

Not sure yet. There's the Cherokee Owner's the next weekend after that, and then I am leaving for Alaska in July....

Ed:

Attendance is not optional.

Hmmm, what is the smallest plane that can make the trip from Alaska in less than two full days but is capable of landing on Gaston's strip? :dunno:

Besides a V-22 that is - I'm not sure one is available to me.

Well since two FULL days would be 48 hours, there's quite a few that would make it.

Concerning Friday and Saturday nights...when people ask me who is coordinating the cook-outs/pizza/other outside meal stuff...who shall I refer them to?

I have reserved part of a room at the restaurant for us on Saturday night, and will mostly go with the numbers on the attendance list on Chip's web site. I gave Gaston's a random time of 7:30, but left it rather loose. I hope to still be out flying then. :)

Concerning Friday and Saturday nights...when people ask me who is coordinating the cook-outs/pizza/other outside meal stuff...who shall I refer them to?

I have reserved part of a room at the restaurant for us on Saturday night, and will mostly go with the numbers on the attendance list on Chip's web site. I gave Gaston's a random time of 7:30, but left it rather loose. I hope to still be out flying then. :)

http://pilotcast.com/gastons/index.php?Meal Planning

You guys ever notice how cool this whole thing is, and there is no sponsoring organization? Just a whole lotta folks who enjoy the company and do their parts.

You guys ever notice how cool this whole thing is, and there is no sponsoring organization? Just a whole lotta folks who enjoy the company and do their parts.

I've noticed that, it looks like a real aviation gathering! :)

Hmmm, what is the smallest plane that can make the trip from Alaska in less than two full days but is capable of landing on Gaston's strip? :dunno:

Besides a V-22 that is - I'm not sure one is available to me.
You could do that in a 182RG in about 20hrs

We are going, he doesn't know what he is talking about.....:D

I made my booking. Come on, June!

I'm still hoping to make it and have the plane booked but there are a few things up in the air (no pun intended:D ) at the moment that would take away the availability. I didn't book a room yet because I understood that Gaston's did not return deposits and I'm counting on a few people who have booked having to cancel at the last minute.

I don't want a repeat of last year! We'll see what happens WRT airplane ownership on my end.

(Hey Lance, how hard is it to put a B55 in there?)

Does anyone know if there is an old B-52 base near Gaston's for my Tiger? I need at leat 10K ft. of runway, preferably asphalt.

Does anyone know if there is an old B-52 base near Gaston's for my Tiger? I need at leat 10K ft. of runway, preferably asphalt.

Yes, but I believe that the arresting wire is currently INOP.

How long can you wait on the room reservation or parking reservation at Gaston? I'll be soloing soon, and I dunno if I'd have my PPL in time for Gaston.

heres the deal, if you make it, someone will find a couch/floor or something for you to sleep on. parking is abundant and no need for reservations. most important is that you come, we wont make you sleep outside.

We need to enjoy that while it lasts. Chip could get the $1million offer at any time.

We need to enjoy that while it lasts. Chip could get the $1million offer at any time.

I would never be one to turn down a million bucks, but I hope he will, just to keep this plain and simple.

Hey, wait a minute. You owe me a poker game, as I recall, since you couldn't pull it together last year :D :eek: :D

I'm still hoping to make it and have the plane booked but there are a few things up in the air (no pun intended:D ) at the moment that would take away the availability. I didn't book a room yet because I understood that Gaston's did not return deposits and I'm counting on a few people who have booked having to cancel at the last minute.

Barry, if needed, we have an extra bed. Don't worry about losing the deposit as we you don't need to make a reservation.

Back