Gaston's Poker Run (2009)

Felix and I got cards at Mountain Home and Flippin successfully today; will try the other three airports after the incoming weather moves through.

The guy at Mountain Home said he's had several pilots say that they didn't think they COULD get their cards yet, and refused to draw one. Folks, it's OK! For the full week prior to Saturday's "game", it's OK to pick up your cards!

2009 Poker Run Results / Stats​

Thanks to all who participated and made for a fun game, and for those who were able to stay and cheered us on! We had a total of 14 participants, and 15 hands played (Leslie collected cards for, and played & paid for, two hands).

55 cards were collected by participants from the five possible airports. Everyone retrieved cards from KBPK (Mountain Home) and KFLP (Flippin)--no surprise, as these are the closest airports to Gastons. KHRO (Boone County) saw ten cards leave; KPLK (Taney County / Point Lookout) had nine cards fetched; six cards were collected from the furthest airfield (KUNO, West Plains Missouri) to collect cards.

The five common community cards that were drawn in front of all participants Saturday evening were:

The Six of Diamonds, Five of Hearts, Nine of Clubs, Nine of Spades and the Ace of Spades.

The winners:

FIRST PLACE: Grant Prellwitz, with "five-of-a-kind", all nines.

3-WAY TIE FOR SECOND PLACE: Felix Morio, Leslie hand #2, Troy Whistman, who ALL had three nines and two aces (full house).

CONSOLATION (worst hand) went to Jay Maynard, who now holds for the next year the POA "Poker for Dummies" book, and along with Chip will have his name permanently inscribed on the inside cover.

NOTE for players present: we originally thought it was a two-way tie for 2nd place, between Felix and Morio. After the game, the judges noticed that I, too, had the same winning hand (I hadn't even looked at my cards while running the game); Leslie and Felix graciously redistributed the winnings.

For the record, each player's collected cards were:

Brent Johnson: Two of Hearts, Ace of Spades, Six of Hearts, Four of Spades
Bill Jennings: Queen of Spades, Five of Hearts, Eight of Clubs, Ace of Clubs
Bill Crissinger: King of Clubs, Four of Diamonds, Jack of Clubs
Missa: Five of Spades, Seven of Clubs, King of Hearts
Felix: Queen of Clubs, Nine of Diamonds, Ace of Diamonds, Jack of Hearts, Eight of Spades
Bill Mitchell (Dr. Bill): Three of Spades, Six of Clubs, Queen of Hearts, King of Diamonds, Ace of Hearts
Jay Maynard: Seven of Clubs, Three of Spades, Two of Diamonds, Ten of Spades
Matt Sawhill: Ace of Clubs, Three of Hearts
Tony Condon: Nine of Spades, Ten of Spades
Troy Whistman: Eight of Hearts, Ace of Diamonds, Nine of Hearts, Jack of Spades
Pete: Jack of Diamonds, Nine of Spades
Kevin Standley: Queen of Diamonds, Queen of Hearts
Grant Prellwitz: 2 Nines of Clubs, a Two of Hearts, Queen of Clubs, Nine of Diamonds
Leslie Prellwitz hand 1: Two of Clubs, Eight of Clubs, Three of Hearts, Five of Diamonds, Ace of Diamonds
Leslie Prellwitz hand 2: Four of Clubs, Jack of Diamonds, Three of Diamonds, Ace of Hearts, Nine of Spades

Thanks for the fun, the memories, the miles flown, the airplane rides, the laughs and the groans. Let's do it again next year!

THANK YOU Troy for organizing the poker run!:thumbsup: I had a great time and would be happy to assist again next year.

Since you did it as texas hold em style, I have a couple suggestions for next year to make it a bit more interesting.

Since you did it as texas hold em style, I have a couple suggestions for next year to make it a bit more interesting.

Let's hear them! 2nd year was different from the 1st, no reason 3rd year can't mix it up, too!

No, there's no reason to mix it up at all next year. The results this year were perfectly acceptable! :):):)

Thanks Troy, for all the work you put into this. And to Brent and Kevin for their assistance!

The only change I'd make would be to tell the participating airports that the poker run ends on Sunday so we can take advantage of the discount on the way home!

Let's hear them! 2nd year was different from the 1st, no reason 3rd year can't mix it up, too!

Well, couple things I would toss out there. I didn't sign up or play so this is pretty objective, I think:

1) Make it real gambling! Pay less (or nothing) to get your hole cards, but make it a $5 limit game (2 rounds betting max). You want to see the flop? $5 ($10 if it goes around twice) The turn? $5 (or $10) The river? $5 (or $10). Not sure what the entry fee was this year,

2) Extra hole cards: Only use a max of two for each hand, (I hate seeing 5 of a kind since it doesn't really exist in poker) but if you went and got 4 cards, you could play TWO hands at the same time. If you got 3 cards, you could use your two best.

I figure that after Felix's record so far, we could probably all save the time and effort and just hand him $20 next year. ;)

3-WAY TIE FOR SECOND PLACE: Felix Morio, Leslie hand #2, Troy Whistman, who ALL had three nines and two aces (full house).

NOTE for players present: we originally thought it was a two-way tie for 2nd place, between Felix and Morio.

Felix tied himself????

Well, couple things I would toss out there. I didn't sign up or play so this is pretty objective, I think:

1) Make it real gambling! Pay less (or nothing) to get your hole cards, but make it a $5 limit game (2 rounds betting max). You want to see the flop? $5 ($10 if it goes around twice) The turn? $5 (or $10) The river? $5 (or $10). Not sure what the entry fee was this year,

2) Extra hole cards: Only use a max of two for each hand, (I hate seeing 5 of a kind since it doesn't really exist in poker) but if you went and got 4 cards, you could play TWO hands at the same time. If you got 3 cards, you could use your two best.

Interesting ideas, Ed! I like 'em! What do you mean by "$10 if it goes around twice"?

$5 bet with one raise allowed.
I could bet $5, and the rest would have the option to call (match my $5) or call and raise, making it that everyone would have to pay a total $10 each time there is a bet. (Once to see flop, once to see turn, once to see river, and then once at the end - oops I guess the total could be as high as $40, not $30 like I said earlier)

I say goes around twice because the first person to bet is only allowed a $5 bet, but someone betting after them could raise it to $10, and everyone that has bet $5 has a chance to call the $10 bet. So the bet would circle the table twice. (Well, maybe only 1-1/2 times depending who says $10)

And of course, the hole cards (ones you picked up) would remain hidden.

Last edited:
$5 bet with one raise allowed.
I could bet $5, and the rest would have the option to call (match my $5) or call and raise, making it that everyone would have to pay $10.

I say goes around twice because the first person to bet is only allowed a $5 bet, but someone betting after them could raise it to $10, and everyone that has bet $5 has a chance to call the $10 bet. So the bet would circle the table twice. (Well, maybe only 1-1/2 times depending who says $10)

I really like this idea... everybody brings some $5 bills, picks up two cards (from Flippin and Mountain Home) for free, nobody is out more than $5 or $10 to see the flop, and can bail if they don't want to see the turn/river.

I really like this idea... everybody brings some $5 bills, picks up two cards (from Flippin and Mountain Home) for free, nobody is out more than $5 or $10 to see the flop, and can bail if they don't want to see the turn/river.

And, if you limit it to two cards....you can use one deck (up to 23 people could be in it) and not have to worry about the non existant hands or having two 5-of-hearts in play, etc...

If more than 23 play, then make two pools, and have a head to head show down from the winner of each.

Last edited:
Maybe we should get Jesse to set up an online poker website and save the avgas....

Me, too!! :smile: The only airport I've been to before on the Poker Run list is Taney County! Good ol' KPLK...

101_0255.jpg

Christopher and I come here to park when we go to Branson! Luv that one approach end and the drop-off at the other!... Christopher never fails to say, "Now don't land short of the runway!" :nono:

LOL... Short distance landing contest?? :D That would be two games for the fuel bill of one! You know, I believe that I am going to stop in West Plains on the way and get my first card. Then I will have just 4 more places to go on Poker Run day and can save time that way! Off to order current sectionals... my KC one is out of date and I don't even have a Memphis one!

LOL... Short distance landing contest?? :D That would be two games for the fuel bill of one! You know, I believe that I am going to stop in West Plains on the way and get my first card. Then I will have just 4 more places to go on Poker Run day and can save time that way! Off to order current sectionals... my KC one is out of date and I don't even have a Memphis one!
Lynn, before you plan to stop for a card, let's make sure that we're holding the contest this year. In another thread, Troy (TangoWhiskey) said that he won't be there this year to coordinate, and no one else has stepped up to do so that I know of.

(Of course, you've already posted in [thread=35844]that thread[/thread]! :) )

Last edited:
Hey, I knew the Poker run was going to be a "go", Mr. P! I have learned to have some faith in the "veteran" organizers of this fly-in. :D I don't play poker at all, so I printed out the rules page with the best poker hands on it and will be taking Christopher along because he watches the "World Series of Poker" on TV all the time. Hopefully, we will draw something unbeatable navigating around Missouri and Arkansas! Let the game begin.

Hey, I knew the Poker run was going to be a "go", Mr. P! I have learned to have some faith in the "veteran" organizers of this fly-in. :D I don't play poker at all, so I printed out the rules page with the best poker hands on it and will be taking Christopher along because he watches the "World Series of Poker" on TV all the time. Hopefully, we will draw something unbeatable navigating around Missouri and Arkansas! Let the game begin.

Yeah, you gotta beat Felix and Leslie. I think they've got the game fixed some how, after two years of winning.

Oh, btw., I think we should increase the buy-in by $20 or so. Would make it more interesting!

Just play two hands! Is a $20 buy-in too steep, folks? Only those that actually PLAY should vote!

OH, wait... the buy-in was already $20, Felix... were you drunk or something? :rofl:

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't realize you could do that. Even better!

Apparently I was drunk too; you could play more than one hand in the 2008 game; the 2009 and 2010 games are based on Texas Hold 'Em, with three community cards, and do have the "one hand" restriction.

Apparently I was drunk too; you could play more than one hand in the 2008 game; the 2009 and 2010 games are based on Texas Hold 'Em, with three community cards, and do have the "one hand" restriction.
Either way; I feel good about my chances!

If we're doing the bus steak run on Saturday night, we should plan to do the poker game at another time; before we depart on Saturday for dinner? When we get back (a bad choice, since the time could be variable)? Sunday morning? What say you all? We could do it Saturday 5pm at the picnic tables...

I've written the 2010 Rules as though we're doing the game 5pm Saturday at the picnic tables, before the SteakBus(tm) leaves. If that doesn't work for people, discuss and we'll revise.

Last edited:
If we're doing the bus steak run on Saturday night, we should plan to do the poker game at another time; before we depart on Saturday for dinner? When we get back (a bad choice, since the time could be variable)? Sunday morning? What say you all? We could do it Saturday 5pm at the picnic tables...

I've written the 2010 Rules as though we're doing the game 5pm Saturday at the picnic tables, before the SteakBus(tm) leaves. If that doesn't work for people, discuss and we'll revise.

I vote for leaving it on Saturday. It seems Wx is always questionable on Sunday morning and a lot of folks are trying to bail early.

Due to personal circumstances I will be unable to attend this years event. :frown3:

Sorry for bailing, Troy.

No worries, Kevin. The Poker Run will go on! Arrangements are nearly complete, and I'll soon be releasing the NEW list of airports.

Last edited:
Back