Gaston's Poker Run (2009)

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Pull up 'yer chairs (and your sleeves!) and prepare for the best card game of the year... the Gaston's 2009 Poker Run, the only game in town you get to play using your airplane!

Please read this year's game-play rules; we'll be doing a different style than last year (a variation on Texas Hold 'Em) and more airports have been added.

GAME RULES: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dd354d6c_34f5g9xrgf

There are FIVE airports in use this time; you only HAVE to get cards from two airports--get cards from up to FIVE to improve your odds. As per the published rules, there will be no "bonus" card available for purchase at Gastons this year.

KHRO (Boone County)
KPLK (Taney County)
KFLP (Marion County / Flippin)
KBPK (Ozark Regional / Mountain Home)
KUNO (West Plains Municipal) *** NEW ***

I'll also get fuel prices (and discounts, if any) from the airports in late May, and report back on a new thread with that info (Diana said I volunteered to do that last year; she's got a better memory than I do). :rofl:

Kevin Standley and Brent Johnson have graciously volunteered to serve as judges again this year (thanks for the great job last year, guys!), and I'm still trying to reach Ross Fischer to see if he'll be back and able to serve again. Felix has volunteered to serve as an "alternate/standby" judge--thanks Felix.

Enjoy the game!! This thread would be a good place for sound-offs and arranging ride-sharing and flights for card pickups. I heard last year that the comradarie of flying into multiple airports together was a highlight of the event for most.

Last edited:
I'll also get fuel prices (and discounts, if any) from the airports in late May, and report back on a new thread with that info (Diana said I volunteered to do that last year; she's got a better memory than I do). :rofl:
Sometimes I just make stuff up. :smilewinkgrin:

We've had an offer (from a POA member) to utilize a nice grass strip (private airport) on the west end of Bull Shoals Lake as one of our stops. Anybody have a problem with a 2000' grass strip?? If it would lock too many folks out of using the stop, we'll select someplace else. Your comments, please!

Does it have clear approaches? That is getting to be the short end of my comfort range. Solo with not much fuel would probably be ok, but if it has obstructions, probably not.

Does it have clear approaches? That is getting to be the short end of my comfort range. Solo with not much fuel would probably be ok, but if it has obstructions, probably not.

I already have that same question into the airport owner, and will let you know what I find out. I was thinking another option would be for me to provide cards at six airports, so that those that want a paved field would have an additional option for getting all five possible offsite cards.

I already have that same question into the airport owner, and will let you know what I find out. I was thinking another option would be for me to provide cards at six airports, so that those that want a paved field would have an additional option for getting all five possible offsite cards.

While I think 2000 ft of grass would be just fine for many, you'd be asking some to push the envelope far enough that the risk factor might be unacceptable high. I strongly suggest you stick with 3000 as the minimum length since that matches Gaston's. Poker is generally considered a game that combines skill and luck but using a 2000 ft grass strip for the game could make that all to close a description. Even if you had an "option" for those who admitted to being uncomfortable with this airport, there's a good chance that someone will feel compelled to "prove" themselves up to the challenge.

While I think 2000 ft of grass would be just fine for many, you'd be asking some to push the envelope far enough that the risk factor might be unacceptable high. I strongly suggest you stick with 3000 as the minimum length since that matches Gaston's. Poker is generally considered a game that combines skill and luck but using a 2000 ft grass strip for the game could make that all to close a description. Even if you had an "option" for those who admitted to being uncomfortable with this airport, there's a good chance that someone will feel compelled to "prove" themselves up to the challenge.

Thanks, Lance. I was kind of leaning that way, too, but didn't want to impose my own butterflies on somebody else's skill set. Will be interesting to hear if the concensus proves to be "3000+". I know the owner has plans to pave and increase runway length/width to 5000x75, so maybe we can include them when that is accomplished.

What say the rest of you?

ill likely be flying a rental. in that case a private strip is likely out regardless of length. but if i actually come to gastons in an airplane im paying for, i will likely do the poker run.

ill likely be flying a rental. in that case a private strip is likely out regardless of length. but if i actually come to gastons in an airplane im paying for, i will likely do the poker run.

Check on what the rental contract means by "private strip" as most allow landing at "private airports" as long as the airport is registered with a state or federal aviation agency. Heck, I'll be Gaston's is a "private airport" by some definitions, are you prohibited from landing there?

Anybody have a problem with a 2000' grass strip??

Yeah, I do, if it's 90 degrees! (Might be in something a little "underpowered"...)

Otherwise, hey, I hope I get to participate this year. Should have my own airplane.

I just want to suggest to anyone who's not going to be at the drawing to refrain from entering. I'm pretty sure I had five aces when I left last year, and won the "worst hand" award. Somebody clearly switched cards on me.

I don't want to make a big deal of it. :rofl::raspberry:

Yeah, I do, if it's 90 degrees! (Might be in something a little "underpowered"...)

Otherwise, hey, I hope I get to participate this year. Should have my own airplane.

You flying the Coupe to Gastons???? Cool!

I just want to suggest to anyone who's not going to be at the drawing to refrain from entering. I'm pretty sure I had five aces when I left last year, and won the "worst hand" award.

And he still doesn't even have THAT in his possession... he got screwed! :)

Chip, I'll bring the "I suck at Poker" (Poker for Dummies) book with me to Gastons and hand it off to you then. Not sure who has your five aces.... :D

Yeah I lost that hand To chip on the "Bonus" card....

Yeah I lost that hand To chip on the "Bonus" card....

I did find that humorous! Not only did the top three placers all win BECAUSE of the "bonus" card they purchased, but so did Chip! He wasn't in last place until we drew the extra card he'd paid for... and that made his hand the worst!! Seemed wrong...

There was SO MUCH about that tournament that seems wrong. I'm generally such a good player. I was robbed!!!

Thanks, Lance. I was kind of leaning that way, too, but didn't want to impose my own butterflies on somebody else's skill set. Will be interesting to hear if the concensus proves to be "3000+". I know the owner has plans to pave and increase runway length/width to 5000x75, so maybe we can include them when that is accomplished.

Well, I've done a 1092' runway in the 182, so 2000' is HUGE. ;)

The only time I've taken 2000' of runway was at Leadville, when the DA was 12,200 feet. :D

That said, an option would be good. I have no idea how I'll be getting there or if I'll have the disposable income to do the poker run this year anyway. :dunno:

Hey Kent, just have your riders each pitch in their share of gas and you'll have your entry fee. :)

The grass field is getting measured this weekend--the owner thinks it's more like 2300', with no unusual obstructions. He'll also shoot a video of the approach and provide a plat diagram so we can see how it looks.

I've done 6Y9 with 20 gallons of fuel aboard and just me, or in other words 1,200 undergross. It was adequate but not comfy.

I'm with Lance on this one. Stick to 3000+

1k' if mowed and clear approach/departure.

Plenty of us can do this--but we really don't need to encourage those that can't to try--IMO.

Gotta play the cards you have, find some way to offset the speed advantage the others enjoy.:p

Btw., can you get some extra cards if you complete the run in the least amount of time? Also, let's add an airport that's at least 150NM away! :D

We've had an offer (from a POA member) to utilize a nice grass strip (private airport) on the west end of Bull Shoals Lake as one of our stops. Anybody have a problem with a 2000' grass strip?? If it would lock too many folks out of using the stop, we'll select someplace else. Your comments, please!

Troy,

While a 2000 ft strip may be just fine for the bulk of us, I don't feel the risk is worth the benefit, with the SLIGHTEST chance that someone would want to make it in when it was marginal.

If I were doing a 2000 ft strip, I'd want everything in my favor, wind, runway, weight, etc. and no, I would not do it for a poker run. (but don't count me, because I probably will not participate and I'm a wimp).

Give folks the extra margin without any pressure.... there's enough in just winning the game.

Troy,

While a 2000 ft strip may be just fine for the bulk of us, I don't feel the risk is worth the benefit, with the SLIGHTEST chance that someone would want to make it in when it was marginal.

If I were doing a 2000 ft strip, I'd want everything in my favor, wind, runway, weight, etc. and no, I would not do it for a poker run. (but don't count me, because I probably will not participate and I'm a wimp).

Give folks the extra margin without any pressure.... there's enough in just winning the game.
I agree with Larry and Lance and Jesse. This sounds like a fun strip to check out for those of us who want to do that while we're there, but it seems like including it in the Poker Run may be a safety issue for some and could seem unfair to those who might not be able to land there safely.

Well, I've done a 1092' runway in the 182, so 2000' is HUGE. ;)

The only time I've taken 2000' of runway was at Leadville, when the DA was 12,200 feet. :D

That said, an option would be good. I have no idea how I'll be getting there or if I'll have the disposable income to do the poker run this year anyway. :dunno:

Umm... didn't Pete reserve 271G already? :D

I do now...thanks for the reminder, Ted :)

Damn... I was just looking a couple days ago and I was gonna do it then, but I got distracted by doing the billing.

You do realize, Kent's gonna kick yer ass, now!

Naah. I don't even know for sure if I'll be able to be there at all yet. :frown2: I have no idea where I'm going to be (may not even be in the US!) and thus how I'll get there.

Besides, if I decide to take 271G, I am superuser on the scheduling system so I can cancel Pete's reservation and it'll look like he did it! :D

I do now...thanks for the reminder, Ted :)

That's what friends are for, Pete! :yes:

You do realize, Kent's gonna kick yer ass, now!

Wouldn't he kick my ass for reminding Pete?

So can I reserve the back of Diana's Citabra for the poker run????

Hm. I guess nobody wants to do the poker run in my Aztec. Oh well. :D

Damn... I was just looking a couple days ago and I was gonna do it then, but I got distracted by doing the billing.

Actually, it says on the Gaston's Fly-In website (and has for months) that Pete is taking 271G. It even says under Pete's aircraft listing: "271G (sorry Kent)", so I had thought Pete reserved it long ago.

Besides, if I decide to take 271G, I am superuser on the scheduling system so I can cancel Pete's reservation and it'll look like he did it! :D

Now THAT doesn't sound at all like an abuse of power! :no: :rofl:

I'm with the rest of the folks about the 2000 (or 2300)-foot strip. I was able to get in and out of 6Y9, but was lower than I like over the trees at the west end of the runway. I can almost certainly make it in and out of a 2000-foot strip. I'm not real comfortable about it, though. If it were paved, I'd be less worried, both about myself and others, but it's still pretty short.

Hm. I guess nobody wants to do the poker run in my Aztec. Oh well. :D

Sorry, Diana's Citabra is so much more fun!!!! and since I passed on the ride while she was here last I'm hopeing to get one at Gastons... + I'll be flying the Aztec to Gastons, I'll want to fly something else while there. :smilewinkgrin::blowingkisses:

I'm with the rest of the folks about the 2000 (or 2300)-foot strip. I was able to get in and out of 6Y9, but was lower than I like over the trees at the west end of the runway. I can almost certainly make it in and out of a 2000-foot strip. I'm not real comfortable about it, though. If it were paved, I'd be less worried, both about myself and others, but it's still pretty short.

I think you should include the airport but as a "bonus" card allowing you to discard one from your hand. That way people uncomfortable can still get a full hand and play but those able to get in and out can still have the challenge.

I'm with Lance on this one. Stick to 3000+

The short grass strip has withdrawn as an airport for this year based on these comments; they'd like to try again next year when they have it paved and LONG.

Sorry, Diana's Citabra is so much more fun!!!! and since I passed on the ride while she was here last I'm hopeing to get one at Gastons... + I'll be flying the Aztec to Gastons, I'll want to fly something else while there. :smilewinkgrin::blowingkisses:

Woah there... you're flying IN the Aztec to Gaston's. You're not flying the Aztec INTO Gaston's. :nono:

Depending on how comfortable I am with it, we may end up landing at Mountain Home and getting taxi service for the rest of y'all anyway.

I think you should include the airport but as a "bonus" card allowing you to discard one from your hand. That way people uncomfortable can still get a full hand and play but those able to get in and out can still have the challenge.

Absolutely! After all, a big part of the the game of poker includes bluffing and risk-taking. Since hold-em has become part of the TV landscape, everybody knows about all-in. As they say in Arkansas, if you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch. :rofl:

Back