Gaston's Poker Run (2009)

Woah there... you're flying IN the Aztec to Gaston's. You're not flying the Aztec INTO Gaston's. :nono:

Depending on how comfortable I am with it, we may end up landing at Mountain Home and getting taxi service for the rest of y'all anyway.

But you promised to have your MEI by then :p

Also I said flying the Aztec to Gastons not INTO... I already figured you would go into mountian home (woosie)

Last edited:
But you promised to have your MEI by then :p

Also I said fling the Aztec to Gastons not INTO... I already figured you would go into mountian home (woosie)

Post a copy of the performance charts so the decision can be aired publicly. You know it will get a fair hearing by this group.

Absolutely! After all, a big part of the the game of poker includes bluffing and risk-taking. Since hold-em has become part of the TV landscape, everybody knows about all-in. As they say in Arkansas, if you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch. :rofl:

As I posted earlier, taking chances is indeed a part of poker. Taking (unnecessary) chances landing at a short field shouldn't be. IOW I (and a few others) feel that PoA shouldn't put together a situation that encourages risky flying. You should also consider that this wouldn't be a "level playing field" since the risk would be much higher for some combinations of pilots and airplanes than others.

As I posted earlier, taking chances is indeed a part of poker. Taking (unnecessary) chances landing at a short field shouldn't be. IOW I (and a few others) feel that PoA shouldn't put together a situation that encourages risky flying. You should also consider that this wouldn't be a "level playing field" since the risk would be much higher for some combinations of pilots and airplanes than others.

You suggesting that a light-weight souped-up taildragger might have an unfair advantage? The event is being held at a field that quite a few have already either expressed reservations or bailed out for other airports based on runway/performance limitations. Why not up the ante for the real card-players, let the wussies stay home and have a horse-shoe pitching contest? Is this an opportunity to display the finest of flying skills, or just a chance to sit in the shade and talk about them?

Or do you think someone might be pulling your leg on this subject?

Actually, it says on the Gaston's Fly-In website (and has for months) that Pete is taking 271G. It even says under Pete's aircraft listing: "271G (sorry Kent)", so I had thought Pete reserved it long ago.

No, we don't allow reservations more than 180 days in advance.

Now THAT doesn't sound at all like an abuse of power! :no: :rofl:

Hey, it's all the power I've got, it'd be a shame not to abuse it once in a while. ;)

Depending on how comfortable I am with it, we may end up landing at Mountain Home and getting taxi service for the rest of y'all anyway.

I'd suggest, since you haven't been there before, that you land at BPK, and have one of the rest of us take you in so you can at least see the approach before you have to fly it in a twin. Then, have them fly you right back to the plane and do it yourself, if you so choose. :yes:

I wonder if anyone has ever measured the actual distance between the goal-post trees at the end of the runway? :dunno:

....... Why not up the ante for the real card-players, let the wussies stay home and have a horse-shoe pitching contest? Is this an opportunity to display the finest of flying skills, or just a chance to sit in the shade and talk about them?

Or do you think someone might be pulling your leg on this subject?

Wayne,

This should NOT be about pressing anyone into displaying their flying skills with a short runway and the pressure of a poker run.

Keep the risk on the poker table, keep the flying SAFE. There's just NO upside on adding a short strip to this event.

If you want to test flying skills, do a spot landing contest or a timed/fuel race or something that anyone of any skill level can do without adding risks.

I'd suggest, since you haven't been there before, that you land at BPK, and have one of the rest of us take you in so you can at least see the approach before you have to fly it in a twin. Then, have them fly you right back to the plane and do it yourself, if you so choose. :yes:

I think that's a great suggestion...

I wonder if anyone has ever measured the actual distance between the goal-post trees at the end of the runway? :dunno:

I have one of those "walk off" measuring things, but it's small wheel designed for hard surfaces. You'd need one that has a bicycle-style tire, I think.

I think that's a great suggestion...

I have one of those "walk off" measuring things, but it's small wheel designed for hard surfaces. You'd need one that has a bicycle-style tire, I think.

Good comments.... if one is unsure, in ANY plane, not necessarily a twin, there's an argument to have an instructor or experience pilot fly with them the first time.

And a lot depends on the plane, winds, etc.

Gastons is a reasonably easy airport to fly into, just as long as one has reasonable skills and has good speed control.

There are very few GA planes that can't get in there, pending nasty weather/winds. But there is a bit of an unusual illusion.

Wayne,

This should NOT be about pressing anyone into displaying their flying skills with a short runway and the pressure of a poker run.

Keep the risk on the poker table, keep the flying SAFE. There's just NO upside on adding a short strip to this event.

If you want to test flying skills, do a spot landing contest or a timed/fuel race or something that anyone of any skill level can do without adding risks.

Spot landing and speed control skills are self-evident on a 1k' strip. No judging or measuring wheels necessary. Time to put up or shut up, strap it on or check it at the door. Thought this was for real pilots.

PS: Are you paying careful attention to these posts?

Spot landing and speed control skills are self-evident on a 1k' strip. No judging or measuring wheels necessary. Time to put up or shut up, strap it on or check it at the door. Thought this was for real pilots.

Oh, that could be an interesting twist... a unofficial spot landing contest on Saturday, as people are arriving back at Gastons... say 100' west of the goal post trees... offer 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place enhancements to the game, such as "half-price buy-in", ???, ???.

Sure! Except, I won't be doing the Poker Run. ;) Although I'm looking forward to flying with you anyway. :yes:

I'd ask to fly the poker run in your Citabra but I know the answer to that :p (sure miss flying one)

Looking forward to flying with you too! (can we go upside down???? PLEASE????) :smilewinkgrin:

I'm certain it's at least 40 ft because I've never actually brushed the leaves but from the turn to final it looks like about 20 ft. My actual guess would be something in the 80-100 ft range but it's probably getting smaller each year.

-lance

Let's make it a real test and require that the downwind and base legs be flown inverted. Heck for the low wing crowd that should make it easier since their wings won't block the view.

I'm certain it's at least 40 ft because I've never actually brushed the leaves but from the turn to final it looks like about 20 ft. My actual guess would be something in the 80-100 ft range but it's probably getting smaller each year.

Good point. Depends on if you measure trunk to trunk or branches to branches.

My thought was that for someone who hasn't gone in there, they might try to go over the trees rather than between, which would almost certainly result in an overrun accident unless they were flying something that has a very high glide angle and a very short landing roll (ie, Super Cub).

My thought was that for someone who hasn't gone in there, they might try to go over the trees rather than between, which would almost certainly result in an overrun accident unless they were flying something that has a very high glide angle and a very short landing roll (ie, Super Cub).

At Gaston's??? Uhh It was several YEARS before I screwed up enough courage to go between the trees. I don't think I ever came CLOSE to an over run.

At Gaston's??? Uhh It was several YEARS before I screwed up enough courage to go between the trees. I don't think I ever came CLOSE to an over run.

On my first time there I not only went over the trees, I came in over the ridge (long final). I still had no problem getting stopped. Most flapped airplanes will come down at about a 6 degree angle and if you manage the energy well you can touch down within 100ft of your "aiming point".

It happens quite a bit when I take students or new pilots over there for the first time. The sight picture is not like it is at the airports they're used to, so they tend to stay too high and carry too much airspeed. Remember year before last seeing the guy in the 172 skidding up to the road?

Well my problem wasn't the trees, but the fact that it was damn near dark, and I flew my base over the river instead of the powerlines on the other side of the ridge. I ended up way high, and out of position with no daylight left.

The drive back with Steve was just about as exciting as my aborted first approach at Gaston's

Let's make it a real test and require that the downwind and base legs be flown inverted. Heck for the low wing crowd that should make it easier since their wings won't block the view.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about.

It happens quite a bit when I take students or new pilots over there for the first time. The sight picture is not like it is at the airports they're used to, so they tend to stay too high and carry too much airspeed. Remember year before last seeing the guy in the 172 skidding up to the road?

I'm gonna respectfully abstain from this conversation. :redface:

I'm gonna respectfully abstain from this conversation. :redface:

Year before last Kevin, year before last!:nono:

The guy I'm talking about was from the Missouri Pilots Association and wasn't part of our group. It was his second or third attempt at landing. That's all I'm sayin'. :D

Does it have clear approaches? That is getting to be the short end of my comfort range. Solo with not much fuel would probably be ok, but if it has obstructions, probably not.

Last year, we had three aboard the Mooney for the poker run. Three aborad, 2000ft grass? No, thanks!

The five sets of sealed cards were prepared today and will ship tomorrow to the FIVE airports in use this year:

KHRO (Boone County)
KPLK (Taney County)
KFLP (Marion County / Flippin)
KBPK (Ozark Regional / Mountain Home)
KUNO (West Plains Municipal)

We've added a new one--KUNO (UNO--seems appropriate, as we're playing a card game). This 5100' paved runway 41NM NE of Gastons has instrument approaches with a VOR on field. This gives the folks coming in from the east an option to stop at on the way in, to pick up one of their cards.

Remember--you only HAVE to get cards from TWO of the FIVE airports; any extras you pick up are your way of improving your odds of having a good hand---your effort is rewarded with more cards to pick your "best five" from the two to five cards in your hand plus the three shared community cards.

The initial post on this thread has been updated with the new info; the link to the updated/official rules of the game is in that first post, as well.

The five sets of sealed cards were prepared today and will ship tomorrow to the FIVE airports in use this year:

KHRO (Boone County)
KPLK (Taney County)
KFLP (Marion County / Flippin)
KBPK (Ozark Regional / Mountain Home)
KUNO (West Plains Municipal)

Don't forget that there is a new Class D airspace just south of PLK, tower freq is 128.15.

Don't forget that there is a new Class D airspace just south of PLK, tower freq is 128.15.

Good call-out, Dean! Make sure you have current charts! [EDIT: It's not on the Kansas City sectional, yet, at least not on the one on SkyVector.com. However, it's CLOSE (5.8nm south) to PLK, and not far from Gaston's either!]

FedEx reports they delivered the cards to three of the airports today: Taney County, Mountain Home, and Marion County.

Last edited:
Back