Gaston's plans....meals, ground ops, etc.

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Just thought I would toss out some more info and ideas to kick around.

Last year I kept track of numbers for reservations for meals on Saturday night and for Sunday brunch so we could all sit together. If y’all want me to do that again this year for Friday and Saturday nights and for Sunday brunch, get in touch with me so I can give the Gaston’s restaurant a head’s up. I can get most of the numbers from Chip’s web site for the brunch. Those of you who prefer not to post your information on that site can email me.

Some people have talked about a cookout. If someone more energetic than I would like to organize that and also cook for me and mine, please let me know. ;) They do have carry-out if some want to grab some food and eat together on somebody’s deck. I did ask Gaston’s about catering to our cabins and here is the reply:

“yes we cater to the cabins, we could either do a cookout at one central cabin, or we could just precook the side items and you could grill your own meat, some people like to do it that way. If you need prices you can look on the internet on our web site gastons.com our restaurant menus are under other information and then click on restaurant.
If this is something you think you would be interested in doing the sooner that you can confirm this the better.
I look forward to being in touch and we can get some numbers together on your brunch as well as what time you would like to have your group come in.”

Since we are at the mercy of the weather and how it might affect arrivals (or lack of) I wonder if it might be difficult to commit to catering numbers. If someone wants to take that job and responsibility, raise your hand. I love to eat at the restaurant, myself. :)

Steve has graciously volunteered to help with ground ops and airfield information this year (I’m still trying to think of what title to use with him ;) ). Gaston’s will send a van (or we’ll drive over) for those who land at a paved strip. Last year everyone used just one paved strip to make transportation back and forth less complicated. Mountain Home (BPK) gave a slight discount on fuel for our group, and said it’s possible we might get one again this year; I’ll get a confirmation on that and let you know.

Parking all along the south side of the airstrip is available, as well as the main tie down area. Might be a good idea to bring your own ropes/stakes. I’ll let Steve jump in here any time.

Dave is making a form for us to place in the window of our airplane with some information about our airplane/route/passengers, etc.

Toby is making a scorecard sheet for the landings with a comment section. :eek:

Chip is in charge of weather. :hairraise:

We had a computer command center last year. Volunteers for this year?

Let’s see, anybody else want a job? Or at least a job title? What am I forgetting?

:)

how about a east vs west football game saturday afternoon before the cookout? :)

Michael said:
how about a east vs west football game saturday afternoon before the cookout? :)

Cool! The "landing judges" could double as cheerleaders (from their chairs of course) in-between landings. ;)

Diana, I note the website doesn't indicate if you're intending to land at 3M0 or BPK. How many are trying the grass strip?

Feel like I'm missing a lot of cool stuff, but will probably not be able to get down for more than a few hours on Sunday. Still seeing if Saturday's a possibility, but I have other things I just don't seem to be able to move.
Can't really land on the grass with the Baron; so, I'll need to get over from Mountain Home some how. Looking forward to seeing all; wish I could join you earlier.

Best,

Dave

I'm in favor of a catered cookout Sat. evening, but will go with the flow. Usually when we have catering at the office, they will want a number in advance and they will prepare for it, but there is some leeway. We are charged for the exact number of people who are there. I'd be willing to call Gaston's and find out if that is their policy or if they require an exact number. Also, if you are interested in a catered cookout, please post here ASAP and indicate how many. If there are fewer than 12 (?) it will probably not be worth it.

Maybe folks can call while you're enroute or just before you leave and update us on ETA, if possible. We will get our cell numbers to you.

Wasn't Chip in charge of weather last time? Look how THAT worked out.

Toby said:
Also, if you are interested in a catered cookout, please post here ASAP and indicate how many. If there are fewer than 12 (?) it will probably not be worth it.
No cooking, no cleaning? I'm in (2) for a catering on Saturday.

EDIT: and of course 2 for brunch on Sunday.

Last edited:
Two for dinner, and two for brunch. BBQ alternative is great with us, especially Duke. BTW, the dog lies -- we feed him quite well already despite what his big brown eyes may tell you, so please do NOT feed him.

count me in. 1. for dinner. dunno if Ill be around for brunch or not.

Ken Ibold said:
No cooking, no cleaning? I'm in (2) for a catering on Saturday.
Susan and I, also. If you think it useful I can bring the 10 x 20 foot canopy but it's kind of a heavy deal to put up....Bruce

Two for dinner and two for brunch. Either dinner at the restaurant or a cookout would be ok with us, but might lean towards the cookout if the exact count question could be worked out with Gastons (Thanks Toby). Sue will bring some kind of appetizer stuff to share for predinner get together. I have no idea if there's any regional beer from Atlanta, so I'll probably just bring some Coors Light :rolleyes: .
Still planning on landing in the grass if it's dry.

So far I count 14 who have indicated an interest in a cookout, if it can be arranged without needing an exact count much beforehand. I will call Gaston's early tomorrow and see what they say. Stay tuned.

Suggestion for Steve's title:

Ground
Operations and
Facility
Egress
Rascal

GOFER

(Couldn't think of anything for "R" but oddly enough...Rascal fits said individual ;) )

May I have permission of POA mgmt to include Michael's logo on the Aircraft Windshield Placards (which says who owns the a/c, where you came from, make&model etc). I will then post (for revision) the latest version.... and later a final version for everyone to printout and take along.

We are two, for any and all activities

Re: the pattern. I can imagine an airplane taking off NE while someone is trying to land to the SW because it is a one-way strip. The part that concerns me is I seem to recall a/c low on left base and me, standing somewhere along the strip hearing -but not seeing- the approaching a/c until it appears in the valley on final. Could lead to some cussing, so I encourage diligence, patience, and tolerance of all! (and be ready to try it again if departing a/c 'cut you off'). I hope I am wrong about this. Lights on everyone, use the radio if you have it, all eyes outside.

Brian Austin said:
Suggestion for Steve's title:

Ground
Operations and
Facility
Egress
Rascal

GOFER

(Couldn't think of anything for "R" but oddly enough...Rascal fits said individual ;) )

R = Roustabout. I think it may be an actual job title in the circus, roughly equivalent to gofer.

Toby said:
I'd be willing to call Gaston's and find out if that is their policy or if they require an exact number. Also, if you are interested in a catered cookout, please post here ASAP and indicate how many.
Toby, thanks for volunteering to take care of this. :)

Put us down for three (Tom, me and Carol Hays).

Toby said:
Wasn't Chip in charge of weather last time? Look how THAT worked out.

Yep, and see what happened? ;) (It's fun when he's out of town and can't defend himself.)

Steve said:
I'll just mention that someone will be monitoring Unicom at Gaston's (122.80) during the day while I'm there (eta ~3:30pm on Friday; etd ~2:00pm on Sunday), most likely me if I'm not otherwise occupied.
Steve, you will be playing football, won't you?

Steve said:
And, oh yeah, I need volunteers for 24 hr coverage to keep an eye on Rudy...:frog:

Rudy, did you hear that? ;)

Steve said:
p.s Diana, how does "Grand Poobah" sound.....

Excellent! :D

Thanks Steve. :)

bstratt said:
How many are trying the grass strip?

Well, Barry I'm not sure. I assume all the taildraggers on the list, as well as our Skyhawk, Steve, Scott, Ed Guthrie, and Dave Taylor (since he landed there last year?).

Will you be going to BPK?

I imagine some of the others may wait to see how wet the strip is before deciding.

Hello All,

There will be two of us for Saturday dinner and Sunday brunch. We will do what ever the majority wants as far as a cook out or catering. One question, would any of you be up for helicopter rides? A good friend of mine runs the helicopter tours in Branson, and if enough of us are willing to pitch in, I may be able to get him to fly down for a few rides. He can take six at a time, four in back two up front. (depending on weight, as we all know)If you want to see what he has, go to www.tablerockhelicopters.com
See ya, Dean

Dave Siciliano said:
Feel like I'm missing a lot of cool stuff, but will probably not be able to get down for more than a few hours on Sunday. Still seeing if Saturday's a possibility, but I have other things I just don't seem to be able to move.
Well doggon it. :(
Dave Siciliano said:
Can't really land on the grass with the Baron; so, I'll need to get over from Mountain Home some how. Looking forward to seeing all; wish I could join you earlier.
We'll make sure you get a way over Dave. Will you be bringing anyone with you this time?

Dean said:
Hello All,
There will be two of us for Saturday dinner and Sunday brunch. We will do what ever the majority wants as far as a cook out or catering.
See ya, Dean
Hey Dean, haven't heard from you in a while, I was wondering how your plans were coming for Gaston's. Glad you're still coming. We'll put you down on the lists for meals.

I know Michael likes helicopters. :)

I couldn't find prices on the web site. How much more would they charge to come down to Gastons from Branson? Can I be guaranteed a seat in front?

bbchien said:
Susan and I, also. If you think it useful I can bring the 10 x 20 foot canopy but it's kind of a heavy deal to put up....Bruce
Bruce, we have a deck with our cottage and there is also a covered gazebo and a few picnic tables below the cottage by the river. See attached.

It might be a good idea to bring camping/folding chairs if you have room. You never know, you might have to sit on the edge of the runway to judge a few landings when you aren't flying around. :)

Diana said:
Well, Barry I'm not sure. I assume all the taildraggers on the list, as well as our Skyhawk, Steve, Scott, Ed Guthrie, and Dave Taylor (since he landed there last year?).

Will you be going to BPK?

I imagine some of the others may wait to see how wet the strip is before deciding.

I'm going to go home and review my POH and insurance. If I'm okay on that front I'll probably give it a go (condition of the field dependent).

Was after my wife last night to make up her mind as to whether she was going and we were making a weekend out of it. We have friends visiting the following week whom I thought were arriving Tuesday. My wife informed me there was a chance they might come on Saturday. She promised, subject to weather, that if they weren't arriving until Tuesday she'd come down. So I e-mailed them this morning asking for confirmation of their expected arrival day.

If its Tuesday, I'll book a room for Sat night and that'll mean 2 for dinner and brunch. I'll let you know hopefully no later than tomorrow.

P.S. we need a "fingers crossed" emoticon!

Cookout update: I just spoke to Tammy at Gaston's, and while she doesn't necessarily need to know the exact number ahead of time, she needs an approximate number one week in advance. Getting a number to her would not be hard, but since the weather can change at the last minute and we are so weather-dependent, a one-week deadline makes it impractical.

Sorry, everyone. It would have been fun to have a cookout.

Diana said:
Hey Dean, haven't heard from you in a while, I was wondering how your plans were coming for Gaston's. Glad you're still coming. We'll put you down on the lists for meals.

I know Michael likes helicopters. :)

I couldn't find prices on the web site. How much more would they charge to come down to Gastons from Branson? Can I be guaranteed a seat in front?

Sorry for the absence, but this is my busy time of year and work has kept me away. We will be at Gaston's weather permitting, I am ready for a get away. I was down your way a few weeks ago, I flew to Ada, OK and made a fuel stop in Muskogee. I was going to stop at M58, but had enough to kept going.
As for the helicopter coming to Gaston's, If we have enough takers and commit, I can get him to come down. But we must make it worth his time. That thing is not cheap to operate, drinks fuel like crazy. I am guessing in the 30-35 gph range. If there is just a few that are interested, we can fly to Clark (PLK)and he would most likely come get us there, let me know what you think.
Dean

Hi Diana:

Will probly have the same motley crew as last year. We'll have to see 'bout Charlotte (my Westy). We'd have to have a place for her that wasn't too hot while we were in eatin!!

Dave

Are we sure a cookout isn't possible? Well maybe we have to commit to a certain number one week in advance, and ,yes, the weather could be bad. On the other hand, we're committed to paying for our rooms/cabins whether we come or not. The price of the cookout would just be a fraction of that. I'd take that risk. Any others?

Lance F said:
Are we sure a cookout isn't possible? Well maybe we have to commit to a certain number one week in advance, and ,yes, the weather could be bad. On the other hand, we're committed to paying for our rooms/cabins whether we come or not. The price of the cookout would just be a fraction of that. I'd take that risk. Any others?
The cookout prices are upwards of $21 per person. (That's just for the basic hamburger menu. If we want something more imaginative, it would cost more.) We have approx. 60 hoping to be there Sat., not counting however many haven't signed up on the fly-in page. If the weather is bad off in one direction, we could have 20 or 30 not show up. I was hoping, since it IS a fly-in resort and this is a scenario they're familiar with, that they would let us give them a close-to-final number 24 hours before the cookout. But one week.....could be costly, no?

What does everyone else think?

Toby said:
The cookout prices are upwards of $21 per person. (That's just for the basic hamburger menu. If we want something more imaginative, it would cost more.) We have approx. 60 hoping to be there Sat., not counting however many haven't signed up on the fly-in page. If the weather is bad off in one direction, we could have 20 or 30 not show up. I was hoping, since it IS a fly-in resort and this is a scenario they're familiar with, that they would let us give them a close-to-final number 24 hours before the cookout. But one week.....could be costly, no?

I could eat a whole lot....perhaps enough to make up the difference? J/K.

It'd be nice if they didn't need so much time. Or maybe someone could volunteer to cook when we get there, and not use the resort's food.

Toby said:

I think those who want to participate should send a check for the amount to you made out to Gaston's. If you take the $$s and run (it'll get you clean over to Frederickton NB but not much father....) we'll just have to come and seize your computer.

I'll take a $42 chance on it.

OTOH if they don't mind, and someone has a vehicle, we can bring a Weber gas grille...it's small but portable. Somebody else probably has one too. But then someone has to go buy the ton of ground beef, buy the potato salad, drive it in....what a PITA.

This is not an economy weekend. To where do I sent the check?

bbchien said:
This is not an economy weekend. To where do I sent the check?
Very persuasive, Bruce. The 10 bucks a head more to have them do the work is lost in the financial noise -- easily saved by flying there at 63 percent power instead of 65 percent power.

In for a penny, in for a pound. I'm in.

bbchien said:
I think those who want to participate should send a check for the amount to you made out to Gaston's. If you take the $$s and run (it'll get you clean over to Frederickton NB but not much father....) we'll just have to come and seize your computer.

I'll take a $42 chance on it.
Haha! Well, I like this idea, Dr. Bruce, and don't mind at all making the arrangements. If others feel the same, I will go ahead with it. I'll also email everyone who signed up on the fly-in site as well as anyone who is rumored to be coming but hasn't signed up to make sure I've reached everyone.

First off, check out this page: http://www.gastons.com/menu/cookout.htm and see what you think of the choices.

The price I mentioned earlier was actually not correct -- there's the charge per person + tax + 20% gratuity. So I believe it would be $27 or so pp for the burger/hot dog dinner. If we want to go with chicken, fish fry, or ribs, or a combo, it would be more. I can get the prices. I will also ask about children's prices. Beverages are extra. We might be able to bring in those....?

Back