Gastons on LiveATC.net

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Well, guess it's time to make it official. Spike and I have been working with Dave from LiveATC.net, and it looks like we'll be able to provide a feed of all audio on the CTAF (16kbps) through a link that will be prominently displayed on the front page of LiveATC.net. We'll be bringing the equipment and setting it up in cabin 77 on Thursday night, and it will be up til Sunday noon-ish.

If you wish to post your N-number, name and Web-board name on this thread so those who will be attending voyeuristically can match the radio transmissions to the forum participants, feel free.

FEED URL: http://d.liveatc.net/k3m0.m3u
(will be active Thursday June 11th after about 6pm ET-Sunday around noon)

Last edited:
very very cool. Unfortunately I had to opt out this year, so I'll definitely be tuned in.

Well, guess it's time to make it official. Spike and I have been working with Dave from LiveATC.net, and it looks like we'll be able to provide a feed of all audio on the CTAF (16kbps) through a link that will be prominently displayed on the front page of LiveATC.net. We'll be bringing the equipment and setting it up in cabin 77 on Thursday night, and it will be up til Sunday noon-ish.

Cool, Troy!

Wasn't it you who set something up a few years ago with FlightAware to see the traffic to/from Gaston's? How did you do that?

Ted DuPuis (with Missa and AdamB on board)
Aztec N6927Y (Aztec Six Niner Two Seven Yankee)

You may also hear "Aztruck Six Niner Two Seven Yankee", that's me, too. ;)

Just me, unfortunately.
Zodiac N55ZC (five five zulu charlie) flying the #$#%!@#%^^&*%^ approach

Grant & Leslie Prellwitz Centurion N2207R

Jim Harvilchuck Skylane N7111W (Maybe. He's talked about it, but I don't think he's booked a room yet and there's always a chance he'll get a charter.)

Tony and Leah and whoever might end up with us in 5221E, a 172.

We could try doing the live video again if we could get reliable bandwidth on a reliable computer across the road.

Great idea guys... sadly I won't make it, but I might try to listen vicariously.

Cool, Troy!

Wasn't it you who set something up a few years ago with FlightAware to see the traffic to/from Gaston's? How did you do that?

I was using Avweb's Flight Explorer... I had a subscription at the time. I left the program up and running, tracking all aircraft inbound to 3M0 (only showed IFR flights and some with flight tracking). I grabbed screen shots and put the current one up on my website.

I don't have a subscription for it anymore, though...

I was using Avweb's Flight Explorer... I had a subscription at the time. I left the program up and running, tracking all aircraft inbound to 3M0 (only showed IFR flights and some with flight tracking). I grabbed screen shots and put the current one up on my website.

You should be able to do something similar with Flightaware for free.

I'm not sure who will be flying the Baron checking runway condition on Saturday <g>

Best,

Dave

Not sure if this is the best idea, given what's going on on that frequency during Gaston's....

If you wish to post your N-number, name and Web-board name on this thread so those who will be attending voyeuristically can match the radio transmissions to the forum participants, feel free.

Sorry I haven't had time to work on this with you, but I know Dave has been working with you on the setup (I've seen all the e-mails going back and forth). I'm looking forward to tuning in during the fly-in since I can't make it out there. :)

Sorry we won't see you there this year Jason. Look forward to seeing you at a future one.

Best,

Dave

Oh.

Well that would only get people on their last leg to Gaston's, and wouldn't get people that went to Mountain Home or Flippin. Hmmmmm.

PJ, you should tell the FlightAware folks to allow us to make our own "fleets" or something - This isn't the first time I've wanted to track multiple otherwise-unrelated flights on the same page.

Oh.
PJ, you should tell the FlightAware folks to allow us to make our own "fleets" or something - This isn't the first time I've wanted to track multiple otherwise-unrelated flights on the same page.

They do... for $$$.

I look at it like this. If youre gonna broadcast the fly in, why go to the fly in?? Plus using up 12% of the connection at Gastons is gonna cheese some people off.

Last edited:
Trust me, you wouldnt want to. Im still trying to forget some things I heard there that night.

You didn't have enough margaritas, then.

Kent,

Short answer: I don't know.

Long answer: FlightAware offers the free flight tracking service for individual airplanes and all traffic for a given airport that we all know and love. It also offers email and text alerts for flight plan filings, takeoffs, reroutes, and landings, as well as several flight planning resources for free. All airport FBO's in the country get listed with their current (updated weekly) fuel prices at no charge to them (they have to pay for Airnav).

After hearing all of this, I asked the question, "where does your revenue come from?". IIRC, they get about half of their total revenue from ad sales. The other half comes from their pay services. With all of their free services, what are their pay services, you ask? Well, one of them is live fleet tracking. A charter outfit or management company can contract with flightaware for the ability to track all planes in their fleet simultaneously. I believe the pricing for this depends on the number of planes in the fleet.

That said, let me email Daniel Baker and see if we can't set something up for next weekend. PM me your tail # or post it here if you want to be part of our "fleet".

I just put the tail numbers of aircraft I want to keep track of in my profile, and have the alerts set up accordingly. I have alerts set up on the Aztec and the Mooney since those are the two planes that I fly. Once the Mooney goes away, I suppose I'll take the alerts off of it.

I look at it like this. If youre gonna broadcast the fly in, why go to the fly in?? Plus using up 12% of the connection at Gastons is gonna cheese some people off.

12%? It would be 336% of the uplink bandwidth. :D

I just put the tail numbers of aircraft I want to keep track of in my profile, and have the alerts set up accordingly. I have alerts set up on the Aztec and the Mooney since those are the two planes that I fly. Once the Mooney goes away, I suppose I'll take the alerts off of it.

Yeah, I have that set up too for the club planes, but you can't see more than one on the map at the same time.

Cool!
Now if I can just remember, am I supposed to say "atitapa" first, or "WoodenWonder with you, turning left final" before that?

Back