Gaston's IV in 2007

mikea said:
That charge is really bogus. Danny Gaston needs to offer some resources in return for the fact that he's getting a lotta profitable bizness for rooms and meals. i.e He should let us use the conference center if there's no business that will pay for it.

We could start looking for other venues...
Danny is no longer there. Jim Gaston (he's the one who used to fly the Pitts) is back in charge as of a few days ago. If you want to contact someone about the conference center, or whatever, contact Jim Gaston.

If we weren't there, their rooms would fill up anyway. It's a popular place and known nation-wide.

Tom Gresham is planning to fly into Gaston's next week possibly to shoot a segment about Gaston's for his TV show:

http://www.wingstoadventure.com/

If that airs, Gaston's will book up even faster.

Diana said:
Danny is no longer there. Jim Gaston (he's the one who used to fly the Pitts) is back in charge as of a few days ago. If you want to contact someone about the conference center, or whatever, contact Jim Gaston.

If we weren't there, their rooms would fill up anyway. It's a popular place and known nation-wide.

Tom Gresham is planning to fly into Gaston's next week possibly to shoot a segment about Gaston's for his TV show:

http://www.wingstoadventure.com/

If that airs, Gaston's will book up even faster.
Have you dealt with Jim? Do you think he will be as accomodating for our needs as Danny was? He should know about the issues for the airstrip.

Diana said:

Diana hit the nail on the head. It is a popular resort, and they're going to charge resort prices for services. Just like any other...

mikea said:
Have you dealt with Jim? Do you think he will be as accomodating for our needs as Danny was?
I have dealt with Jim and feel that he is a gentleman and a class act, and is not just a faceless businessman. He is a fellow pilot as well.

http://www.ozarksmagazine.com/index.html?b=12

Jim took several photos of our airplanes and is mailing me the CD of the photos. I'll be glad to post them.

mikea said:
He should know about the issues for the airstrip.
What issues?

Diana said:
I have dealt with Jim and feel that he is a gentleman and a class act, and is not just a faceless businessman. He is a fellow pilot as well.

http://www.ozarksmagazine.com/index.html?b=12

Jim took several photos of our airplanes and is mailing me the CD of the photos. I'll be glad to post them.

What issues?
From what Bruce said, evidently Danny moved the windsock based on our feedback.

I just booked a Deluxe Cottage this morning. That gives me an extra two beds in case anyone needs them. I wanted a full kitchen so we can cook the ribs.

Note:
  • they require a full night's deposit,
  • there's a $40 non-refundable cancellation fee prior to 14 days,
  • the prices are subject to change,
  • they won't credit any interest on your deposit against their increased room rates. (I'm presuming that when they change the rates at the end of the year, they will go up, not down.)
Dem's the rules. To be honest, I think that if they're taking the deposit, it should guarantee the rate, but Mary informed me of the rules and I agreed. My fear is that they'll do something like a 20% rate increase.

gprellwitz said:
My fear is that they'll do something like a 20% rate increase.
Possible, but it hasn't happend in the past three years. If it does, it will end my 20+ year involvement with Gaston's. (FWIW)

Chip

gibbons said:
Possible, but it hasn't happend in the past three years. If it does, it will end my 20+ year involvement with Gaston's. (FWIW)

Chip

I didn't claim it was a reasonable fear. :goofy:OTOH, having a pessimistic attitude leaves me perpetually pleasantly surprised! :rofl:

Ok chip this is drvin me nuts I have seen the braclets that say WWJD. I know what that means but what is WWJBD?

jangell said:
I had no issues with mosquitos. I'll probably make a reservation in the near future.

They say that the reason they have no mosquitos is because the White River water is too cold for the mosquitos to multiply.
I would love it if we could make it back next year. We will have to wait and see.

Wow, way to early for me to commit - not even sure what city I'll be in next year:D

If I can, I'll be there.

(Bump)

The gastons site has been updated and is now taking reservations for 2007. At least I think it is, my testing isn't getting any better as I get older. Let me know if you have problems.

www.gastonsflyin.com

Thanks to everyone who took photos of the 2006 event and posted them. I used about 20 for the home page photos. The home page photo is selected "randomly" from these 20. When you sign up and log in, you can go to the home page and see an option to view all of the cover photos. Thanks again for the excellent pics.

Chip

gibbons said:
(Bump)

The gastons site has been updated and is now taking reservations for 2007. At least I think it is, my testing isn't getting any better as I get older. Let me know if you have problems.

www.gastonsflyin.com

Thanks to everyone who took photos of the 2006 event and posted them. I used about 20 for the home page photos. The home page photo is selected "randomly" from these 20. When you sign up and log in, you can go to the home page and see an option to view all of the cover photos. Thanks again for the excellent pics.

Chip
Does it require a new registration?

SkyHog said:
Does it require a new registration?
Yes. I can't get very much money for the old email addresses, so I want everyone to sign up again with new addresses. I've got to make a living somehow. :D

Seriously folks, :yes: ... you must sign up again. The old information stays with the 2006 (or 2005) fly-in.

gibbons said:
The gastons site has been updated and is now taking reservations for 2007.
www.gastonsflyin.com
I used about 20 for the home page photos. The home page photo is selected "randomly" from these 20. When you sign up and log in, you can go to the home page and see an option to view all of the cover photos.
Chip, the web site looks GREAT! What a neat idea to have the rotating photos. Thanks for all of your time and effort you put into making this web site for us. :)

I'm coming only if there are no unflattering photos of me or my plane (spouse and daughters are ok).

Steve said:
I'm coming only if there are no unflattering photos of me or my plane (spouse and daughters are ok).
Now Steve, how could there possibly be an unflattering photo of your plane?

Chip

Steve said:

With all due respect, Steve, I do not believe it possible that any photo of your daughters, or your wife, could be in any respect unflattering.

Indeed, as men like you and I are all too well aware, our women improve our very appearance by their mere proximity.

SCCutler said:
Indeed, as men like you and I are all too well aware, our women improve our very appearance by their mere proximity.
Then how come I keep overhearing people whisper to my wife "Your with him?" and not in a good way.:dunno:

WooHoo!!!!! I get to land at Gaston's next year! We had our annual dinner tonight, and the owner told me that he can no longer find it in the insurance policy that prohibits grass strips. He's going to verify with the insurance company, but it looks like I'll get to bring the Trinidad in. But I'm also thinking that if one of the CFI's is still offering to ride in for the first landing, I'll take you up on the offer. :yes:

Kaye

We may have to set up a special Trinidad section in the parking/static display area...;)

Kaye said:
WooHoo!!!!! I get to land at Gaston's next year! We had our annual dinner tonight, and the owner told me that he can no longer find it in the insurance policy that prohibits grass strips. He's going to verify with the insurance company, but it looks like I'll get to bring the Trinidad in. But I'm also thinking that if one of the CFI's is still offering to ride in for the first landing, I'll take you up on the offer. :yes:

Kaye

Kaye said:
But I'm also thinking that if one of the CFI's is still offering to ride in for the first landing, I'll take you up on the offer. :yes:

Kaye
No problem. I'm sure there are others who would be happy to do that also.

Chip

Diana said:
BTW, I hope you'll take me for a ride next year. :yes:

Of course!!!! Felt bad that you didn't get the ride this year, but it'll be much easier to make it happen when I'm parked at Gaston's. :D

Kaye

Kaye, it's great that you'll be able to fly directly in!
And Diana, I too feel bad that I didn't get to take you up. Next year, I promise!

Kaye, if I dont get to be the lucky CFI to fly with you into Gastons, sure wouldnt mind getting a ride while there if I can. Never flown one but they sure look cool.

tonycondon said:
Kaye, if I dont get to be the lucky CFI to fly with you into Gastons, sure wouldnt mind getting a ride while there if I can. Never flown one but they sure look cool.

You bet!!

gprellwitz said:
And Diana, I too feel bad that I didn't get to take you up. Next year, I promise!
I'll hold you to that! I hope to fly with Leslie, too, so please put me down on your list for two rides. :yes:

Diana said:
I'll hold you to that! I hope to fly with Leslie, too, so please put me down on your list for two rides. :yes:
Can't speak for her, but if she's unwilling I'll keep you up twice as long :goofy: I'll even come in and do a low pass!

Kaye said:

Kaye

Lucky!! I wish Frederick Flight Center would change their policy prohibiting grass strips. :(

Back