Gaston's IV in 2007

gprellwitz said:
Has anyone considered getting the River Villa for the weekend and farming out the rooms?
Well, it would be great if someone (not me) would do that. Our group would have more options and more places to stay.

I'm kinda in the Diana camp on this. If I had enough people saying they'd be interested, it could definitely be worthwhile, and would give us lots of flexibility. Then I think "what if the weather goes into thetoilet and no one can fly in that weekend." Kind of dampens my enthusiasm. Still, thought it would be a neat idea! Hadn't thought about Paypal as a way to collect the funds. I'd need to have enough firm interest up front to make it worthwhile. I'm not out to make a profit, but don't want to pay more than my fair share, either.

BTW, I STILL think that Diana should push Danny to comp her cabin!
mikea said:
You do it, Grant! :goofy:
You take on the financial responsibilties, like what happens with no show, no pays. You could handle that with a simple no refunds policy.

When I latched on to a night in a bedroom at a house in Oshkosh the "host" sent out payment requests via PayPal.

Post in on the Wiki. I'll open up the front page for a Share a Room page.

Isn't the Casting for Recovery group taking that?

gprellwitz said:
Has anyone considered getting the River Villa for the weekend and farming out the rooms?

River Villa (Based on 20 people)

$1050.00 - Ten bedrooms (4 downstairs - 6 upstairs), each bedroom has two double beds, full bath; Large center meeting room downstairs, Full kitchen, Fireplace, Large patio with Fireplace type grill, 4 boats included

We're back in #74. We need the exercise. Extra bed for last minute joiners.

Mary has e-mailed the fly fishing instructor for a follow-up lesson, so we may arrive early (Ed G., if you're interested in splitting the fee...).

Diana said:
I just booked an ultra-deluxe cottage with a deck (#66) for Friday and Saturday nights.

Steve said:
Isn't the Casting for Recovery group taking that?
They have booked the Lodge II, The Cottage, and four bedrooms in the hotel.

tonycondon said:
i dunno chris, will an RV keep up with a Saratoga? :)

Hmm.. Good question. I know NOTHING about the 'toga.. What kind of perf does it have? I true out at 165 KTAS at about 10000'. If nothing else, I can do loops around you as you fly past me. :D

-Chris

CJones said:
Hmm.. Good question. I know NOTHING about the 'toga.. What kind of perf does it have? I true out at 165 KTAS at about 10000'. If nothing else, I can do loops around you as you fly past me. :D

-Chris

You win:), we're talking a fixed gear 'toga. I'm offering a ride to anyone in Iowa anywhere near my route down. I can handle another 600 lbs after me and my bag. I plan on 140 kts. From my home base(SPW) it appears to be a 3 hr tour.

May I suggest a young Iowans cottage?

James Dean

Attachments

• 4296Next (3).jpg
    4296Next (3).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 17
James_Dean said:
You win:), we're talking a fixed gear 'toga. I'm offering a ride to anyone in Iowa anywhere near my route down. I can handle another 600 lbs after me and my bag. I plan on 140 kts. From my home base(SPW) it appears to be a 3 hr tour.

James Dean
I just put up a Share a Ride page on the Wiki.
http://pilotcast.com/gastons/admin.php?Share A Ride

I'll post that if you want.

Rich and I are in and have a cottage booked (can't convince the wives to join us). I know it's early, but if we will have an extra bed if needed.
Looking forward to what I hope is the first of many happy returns.
Diana, if you need specific assistance (e.g. bringing charcoal, meat, cold drinks, helping on the ground, etc.) let me know and we'll pack it in like mules (or until we hit max weight). :D

kevin47881 said:
Diana, if you need specific assistance (e.g. bringing charcoal, meat, cold drinks, helping on the ground, etc.) let me know and we'll pack it in like mules (or until we hit max weight). :D
Thanks Kevin. :) I'll keep that in mind when we get closer. We're still looking for someone to volunteer to be the main meal coordinator. Perhaps we need a fancier title to entice someone to do that. :D

James_Dean said:

James Dean

Ahhh... Oh well.. I could pull the power back to about 8-9 gph and keep up. :D I'm totally oblivious about most of the Pipers.. What's the comparison b/t the Cherokee 6 and Saratoga?

I'd be ok tagging along on the "YIC". I'll have to wait till much closer to time to be able to nail anything down for sure, though.

-Chris

CJones said:
Ahhh... Oh well.. I could pull the power back to about 8-9 gph and keep up. :D I'm totally oblivious about most of the Pipers.. What's the comparison b/t the Cherokee 6 and Saratoga?

-Chris

Several little differences, but the main difference is the switch from the hershey bar wing to the semi-tapered. A little faster, and only falls out of the sky like a brick rather than an anvil when the power comes off.

I'll be burning 14 GPH with the richest cylinder 25* LOP to get 135 kts when hauling a full 1600 lbs. :)

James Dean

James_Dean said:
Several little differences, but the main difference is the switch from the hershey bar wing to the semi-tapered. A little faster, and only falls out of the sky like a brick rather than an anvil when the power comes off.

I'll be burning 14 GPH with the richest cylinder 25* LOP to get 135 kts when hauling a full 1600 lbs. :)

James Dean
133 Knots and 1400 pounds for me with 2 less seats. I like hershey bars, ;)
"It rolls like a fat dog."

James_Dean said:

James Dean

Ahhh.. So it's like the whole "Cherokee 180" vs. "Archer" scenario. I have quite a bit of time in both a Cherokee 180 and an Archer, but never made it up to the higher performance Pipers. They sold the 210 and got a Cherokee 6 in the club I was in right after I turned in my 'leaving the club' letter. I can appreciate both 'styles' of wings. Depends if you want to float down the runway (Archer) or plop it down when you pull power (180). ha!

-Chris

I volunteer AdamZ and NickB.....:) :yes: :)...the Gaston's Gastronomes.:rolleyes:

Diana said:
Thanks Kevin. :) I'll keep that in mind when we get closer. We're still looking for someone to volunteer to be the main meal coordinator. Perhaps we need a fancier title to entice someone to do that. :D

Steve said:
I volunteer AdamZ and NickB.....:) :yes: :)...the Gaston's Gastronomes.:rolleyes:
Sorry, but after Nick forgot the meat in the truck in the hot AR sun:hairraise::eek:, I thing he's right out of the position!

Leslie and I can help with the meat. I've already volunteered her for ribs, and I think I've even persuaded her to accept! :yes:

Mary's willing to help with food prep, just let her know.:drink:

gprellwitz said:
Sorry, but after Nick forgot the meat in the truck in the hot AR sun:hairraise::eek:, I thing he's right out of the position!

Leslie and I can help with the meat. I've already volunteered her for ribs, and I think I've even persuaded her to accept! :yes:

gprellwitz said:

LOL - that and even continually getting sidetracked and forgetting the meat all weekend long. For a fat guy, I'm not very food responsible, eh?

Heh.

SkyHog said:
LOL - that and even continually getting sidetracked and forgetting the meat all weekend long. For a fat guy, I'm not very food responsible, eh?

Heh.
Heck, flying, chatting, having a good time. Can't imagine what would have distracted you! :rofl::rofl: (I trust you know the jab was meant in fun :yes:)

gprellwitz said:
Heck, flying, chatting, having a good time. Can't imagine what would have distracted you! :rofl::rofl: (I trust you know the jab was meant in fun :yes:)

lol - no jab taken.

Hi, all - I finally got signed up! :)

Am happy to work on the ribs - closer to the date, we'll need a headcount, but can worry about that later. Any thoughts on which cabin has the largest grill, and if it's already been reserved?

lprellwitz said:

Am happy to work on the ribs - closer to the date, we'll need a headcount, but can worry about that later. Any thoughts on which cabin has the largest grill, and if it's already been reserved?
Hi Leslie! Glad to see you here! :)

You might want to call or email Gaston's and ask them about that. In the past they have also offered to bring a portable grill to any area requested, so that's a thought. :)

Diana said:
Hi Leslie! Glad to see you here! :)

You might want to call or email Gaston's and ask them about that. In the past they have also offered to bring a portable grill to any area requested, so that's a thought. :)

I can volunteer to do burgers/ribs/drumbsticks whatever on the grill.

I'd also be interesed in brats, beer boiled then grilled to crispy perfection....mmmmm.

On the wiki, we can also find out if anyone has those nifty fold up lightweight gas grills used for tailgates and such.

lprellwitz said:

Well, that was part of the thinking behind the River Villa and its "Large patio with Fireplace type grill". Over a grand a night is a little too steep for me, though, if I don't have a guarantee of at least a few others sharing the cost!

gprellwitz said:
Well, that was part of the thinking behind the River Villa and its "Large patio with Fireplace type grill". Over a grand a night is a little too steep for me, though, if I don't have a guarantee of at least a few others sharing the cost!
Yeah, it's a dilemma. I had a four-bedroom house, and was glad to be able to help people out, especially with last minute changes. It was my mission to make as many rooms as possible available so that everyone that wanted to come and just needed a place to stay would be assured of just that.

I wonder if it would be possible to eat out on the flight line? If Gaston's provides portable grills, then that might work. Especially if we already have our chairs and tents out there.

Also, I like to fly till almost dark (cooler in the evening), and having to be ready to eat by 7:30 was pushing it, and cutting into my flying. Soooooo, I may not eat till later anyway.

I'm still waiting for someone to say they will be in charge of meals and dinner reservations. :)

SkyHog said:

Heh.
Eat? How can you eat at a time like this? We're FLYIN, guy!

Diana said:
I'm still waiting for someone to say they will be in charge of meals and dinner reservations. :)

And there, you said it!

Diana said:
*snip* Perhaps we need a fancier title to entice someone to do that. :D

Let's see, Vice President of Gastro Pain:dunno: ? Flatuance CEO:dunno: ? King of the Q:dunno: ? President of Pepto Bismol:dunno: ?
Shoot, I'll take the bait regardless of title :yes:

Bill Jennings said:
I'd also be interesed in brats, beer boiled then grilled to crispy perfection....mmmmm.

Bill,

If I make it next year (90%), I'll do 'em up Milwaukee-style. :yes: That would be as you've described above, with sauerkraut and onions optional on the side.

We could probably get several grills going, one with ribs, one brats, one burgers, etc. and do pretty well.

Kelly, Blake and I will be there and I will help with the KP duty as well. Or I will make the pizza run.:yes:

Diana said:
Also, I like to fly till almost dark (cooler in the evening), and having to be ready to eat by 7:30 was pushing it, and cutting into my flying. Soooooo, I may not eat till later anyway.
I think a (relatively) late evening grilling wouldn't be out of order. We could do it at the fly-in theatre. We'll need to have some light source, though the pole lights along the hedges seem to at least help. Only thing we need to watch for are mosquitos!

Last edited:
gprellwitz said:
...Only thing we need to watch for are mosquitos!

Grant, no need to watch for them; they'll find you just fine.

SCCutler said:
Grant, no need to watch for them; they'll find you just fine.

Not meaning to jinx myself, but I really didn't have any mosquito encounters this year, even on movie night. I never even put on the Off! I brought with. I was really surprised.

I can eat humble pie or crows. Take your pick. :)

I had no issues with mosquitos. I'll probably make a reservation in the near future.

Well before everyone starts salivating over the various cusine choices we should find out if or should I say what Gastons will charge us for grills big enough to cook for the group. The grills outside the cabins are no where near big enough.
I was just informed that Spike was gouged $20.00 for the movie screen that he used to show his DVDs on Saturday evening. Do we know what they will charge for a big ole grill or does the house have a big one. I did see a photo of a rather big BBQ structure in one of the brochures.

bah i have a good idea-

each person brings a log, from a tree exclusive to their area. each person also brings a stick. put logs in pile, light them on fire. put meat on stick and cook. all have fun, no one pays :)

AdamZ said:
Well before everyone starts salivating over the various cusine choices we should find out if or should I say what Gastons will charge us for grills big enough to cook for the group. The grills outside the cabins are no where near big enough.
I was just informed that Spike was gouged $20.00 for the movie screen that he used to show his DVDs on Saturday evening. Do we know what they will charge for a big ole grill or does the house have a big one. I did see a photo of a rather big BBQ structure in one of the brochures.
That charge is really bogus. Danny Gaston needs to offer some resources in return for the fact that he's getting a lotta profitable bizness for rooms and meals. i.e He should let us use the conference center if there's no business that will pay for it.

We could start looking for other venues...

Back